Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AdHominem)
    Hmm. Okay. I do the same exam boards for further maths, triple science and RS. If you need any tips for those then that would be fine. However, if you have any advice for further maths, then that would be welcome.
    Further maths is such a weird subject! I recommend this guy on youtube called RAWMATHS, he has the ultimate guide that covers the whole spec!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by evebennettx)
    Further maths is such a weird subject! I recommend this guy on youtube called RAWMATHS, he has the ultimate guide that covers the whole spec!
    It really is difficult! And thanks.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Sophhascoconuts;63781231]
    (Original post by iMacJack)
    Ahh well thank you, appreciated! Maths & Further Maths are my strongest & favorite subjects, so they go well together & don't actually seem that much work at all!

What are you planning on taking for A-levels?

I'm already taking them haha, I'm doing AS! Physics and Maths as you already know, along with History and English Literature (and general studies, since for some reason our business teacher Mr Pawar likes to think it will get us all into Oxford).
    Haha! Well, good luck with them!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sophhascoconuts)

I'm already taking them haha, I'm doing AS! Physics and Maths as you already know, along with History and English Literature (and general studies, since for some reason our business teacher Mr Pawar likes to think it will get us all into Oxford).
    ...He does know that Oxford don't accept GS as part of any offer, riiiiiiight?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roarchika)
    ...He does know that Oxford don't accept GS as part of any offer, riiiiiiight?
    Um... I'm a she, not a he, and yes i do know that, thats the whole joke of it- our business teacher even seems to believe he came up with the idea of cue cards

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=iMacJack;63781365]

Haha! Well, good luck with them!
    Thank you, you too! I'm hiding behind false optimism and exclamation marks because I'm gonna die! YAAAY

ReputationRep:
    Um... I'm a she, not a he, and yes i do know that, thats the whole joke of it- our business teacher even seems to believe he came up with the idea of cue cards
    Apologies, I was referring to your business teacher! I wouldn't doubt that any student would know that GS is a load of...well, BS . And wow, at least I guess that makes lessons...interesting?

ReputationRep:
    Hi there!

I'm super new to this whole TSR thing so i just wanted to say hello!

My name is Eve and I'm 16 in Year 11.

Anyways, I'm currently on my Easter break and apart from Easter Sunday i have done 5-9 hours a day revision (that 9 hour day KILLED me so I doubt I shall ever do that again)

i was just wondering how much everyone else is doing, partly to reassure myself and partly out of curiosity!

I have 1 A* in ICT already and I am predicted 11 A*s this year, but I feel like as soon as I move on to revise another subject it all leaves my brain! GAH!

But yeah, feel free to have a chat down below so we can get through this together!

Hope your Easter is going better than mine!
    May sound silly but have you tired acronyms? I really work well with them! Also for history and subjects like history try flash cards they also work!

I'm not predicted as high grades as yourself (mainly A's and B's) but I find it hard to motivate myself - any tips??

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yikes, that's impressive! I mean, I literally got my A* in maths from doing past papers or questions in class (I'm kinda deplorable at the sciences woops), so I get that, but... maybe move on to questions from your textbook that you haven't done in ages? Try and find more questions online, or from different exam boards? (At GCSE most of the subject content is the same) Sorry if you've already tried all of these!

It's no problem! And honestly, that's up to individual preference - I can't bear mind maps, but I know people who swear by them!
    For me, I find SRS learning works best (spaced repetition; revising things I got wrong sooner than the things I got right) - so I used anki and had flashcards with questions such as "How does Shirley experience character development in AIC? Give 3 examples." or "Give 4 examples of prejudice in AIC." which worked well. Maybe it's because it forces you to consolidate your notes, which is helpful when you've a whole play to know for an exam!
    Another huge help for me was taking an essay question (and there are 2 per past paper, remember!) and just doing the plan - outlining my paragraph title and then bullet pointing the general sub-points for that paragraph. That helped me a lot with my structure, actually, and meant that when I got to the exam I could get my plan down within the first 3 or so minutes.
    Ahh thankyou, i'm looking to start tomorrow with romeo and juliet by going through every scene in every act to fully understand the plot, and make notes to start with- then hopefully when i'm familiar with the play again, start with notes on characters, their development through the play, and link to settings/context etc

haha tomorrow's revision will solely be english, chemistry, and french, depending on how much time i have left!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _chloeematt)
    May sound silly but have you tired acronyms? I really work well with them! Also for history and subjects like history try flash cards they also work!

I'm not predicted as high grades as yourself (mainly A's and B's) but I find it hard to motivate myself - any tips??

Posted from TSR Mobile
    motivation wise I would say results day is my long term, and if that isnt working then watching a good tv show or something or eating as a reward usually does!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meganbriers)
    ive made a timetable (6 hours a day) but its so so hard to stick to omg and i have no motivation

im stressing so much atm
    Think about if you're actually going to do 6 hours. I've found that tracking your revision doesn't work by quantity but quality. For instance, I've been "revising" for about 7 hours but that includes the 15 minute breaks i take. Not including my breaks, I've only done about 4 hours and 40 mins.

ReputationRep:
    Apologies, I was referring to your business teacher! I wouldn't doubt that any student would know that GS is a load of...well, BS . And wow, at least I guess that makes lessons...interesting?
    oh! That makes more sense! You have noooo idea okay he makes school branded powerpoints and theyre like:

1. Cue cards
    2. Past papers
    3. Oxford

No joke, he actually said something along the lines of "This year 12 is going to get the best grades yet because I've been monitoring you all and giving you these lectures on revision". I just...

He also made a table and and on one side it said: 1-2 hrs revision: small car, small house, poor job, sad
    and then on the other side: 3-4 hrs revision: big car, big house, great job, happiness

AND ON TOP OF THAT (yes theres more) he talks about himself in third person like who does that

He actually also said to us that we shouldn't come out of our rooms after school apart from for dinner because we should be revising. I will bet you a million dollars he did nothing of the sort when he did A levels.

Phew, rant over.

ReputationRep:
    Hi there!

Anyways, I'm currently on my Easter break and apart from Easter Sunday i have done 5-9 hours a day revision (that 9 hour day KILLED me so I doubt I shall ever do that again)

i was just wondering how much everyone else is doing, partly to reassure myself and partly out of curiosity!

I have 1 A* in ICT already and I am predicted 11 A*s this year, but I feel like as soon as I move on to revise another subject it all leaves my brain! GAH!

But yeah, feel free to have a chat down below so we can get through this together!

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M14B)
    Good luck
    You too!

ReputationRep:
    oh! That makes more sense! You have noooo idea okay he makes school branded powerpoints and theyre like:

1. Cue cards
    2. Past papers
    3. Oxford

No joke, he actually said something along the lines of "This year 12 is going to get the best grades yet because I've been monitoring you all and giving you these lectures on revision". I just...

He also made a table and and on one side it said: 1-2 hrs revision: small car, small house, poor job, sad
    and then on the other side: 3-4 hrs revision: big car, big house, great job, happiness

AND ON TOP OF THAT (yes theres more) he talks about himself in third person like who does that

He actually also said to us that we shouldn't come out of our rooms after school apart from for dinner because we should be revising. I will bet you a million dollars he did nothing of the sort when he did A levels.

Phew, rant over.
    Good lord. And they subject your whole year to this? You poor things!
    ....has anyone recommended to this teacher that he might want to see a counsellor...? This man clearly doesn't believe in the power of study groups and FRIENDSHIP!

(Original post by nm1276)
    Ahh thankyou, i'm looking to start tomorrow with romeo and juliet by going through every scene in every act to fully understand the plot, and make notes to start with- then hopefully when i'm familiar with the play again, start with notes on characters, their development through the play, and link to settings/context etc

haha tomorrow's revision will solely be english, chemistry, and french, depending on how much time i have left!
    That definitely sounds like a good idea! You should be able to find a lot of notes online, too, since it's such a popular school topic.
    Don't sweat it, I only get 2-3 topics done every day, let alone subjects!

ReputationRep:
    Hi there!

Wait is this actually eve !!!

ReputationRep:
    Hi there!

Hey Eve,
    I've watched so many of your videos and you are literally amazing.
    I'm also in year 11 and i've done 6-8 hours as well.
    I'm also predicted A* for all of my subjects except geography which an A.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squishy•)
    I searched up evebennett and she looks a lot like my old biology teacher, that's not a good thing. I bet u have a good bellybutton though huh?
    what the hell is wrong with you man...do you have some weird fetish or something:lol::lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shilshark)
    what the hell is wrong with you man...do you have some weird fetish or something:lol::lolwut:
    It's more of a duty than a fettish. I feel it's my duty among the community to take care and pay attention to bellybuttons. I am always here to help people out.

ReputationRep:
    Yikes, that's impressive! I mean, I literally got my A* in maths from doing past papers or questions in class (I'm kinda deplorable at the sciences woops), so I get that, but... maybe move on to questions from your textbook that you haven't done in ages? Try and find more questions online, or from different exam boards? (At GCSE most of the subject content is the same) Sorry if you've already tried all of these!
    I'll definitely have a look! I did buy the edexcel work book for maths so I should probably do some questions out of that too!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.