Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would you live for eternity if given the chance to? Watch

• View Poll Results: Would you want to live for eternity?
    No
    60.89%
    Yes
    39.11%

ReputationRep:
    Yes of course, why would you be bored? There are SO many things to do, to discover. We don't even have a complete understanding of the universe. Since you could live for eternity(assuming this eternity is spent on earth/universe and not heaven or something like that), you could spend your time solving problems in physics, biology etc, creating more inventions, engineering cool stuff, maybe try to make a time machine?(Don't say its impossible, because it is and we just haven't fully figured it out yet) Spend it discovering the mysteries of the universe.

Or if science isn't your thing(but thats a shame in my opinion), then you could still do TONS of other stuff in other fields, create a better mona lisa, create extremely fun video games... or spend your time playing fun video games instead of creating them... I don't know! You create your own goals. If you think you'll stay bored, its not because life itself is boring, its because you haven't fully opened your mind to the possibilities yet.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by loveleest)
    (...) I guess that having a limited time in life gives us motivation to fufil your dreams in a given time?
    (...)
    I agree with this.

No, I want not to live for eternity. I would rather regard it as a punishment when I am living forever with silly creatures by the name of humans. Also I would not witness how people dying out, except me...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    As long as I could do different things then yes.
    Are you not afraid of being the only human in the world after the people die out? what about your lovely family? is it a good feeling for you to survive your children, grandchildren and the next-next generations of your relatives? don't forget to mention another people who are close to you.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know... I see how living forever would become mundane, however I cannot come to terms with the idea that after and at the point of my death I will cease to exist and I will lose all sense of myself and consciousness, even the ability to think. That frightens me a lot more than the idea of getting bored with eternity. I wish that we could just choose when and if we are done with life instead of having it taken from us.

There is so much more in this world to discover and so much more that one can do than in our short lifetimes. You could explore the world, make discoveries, explore other worlds when science allows us. You could see world peace, maybe the end of poverty, who knows? But we will never know if these things will happen as we will be dead and it is unlikely that we will see it in our lifetimes. I just hope there is a heaven where I can watch what is happening on Earth.

ReputationRep:
    I don't believe in the afterlife and I love my life so hell yes I would choose to be immortal like the elves in the Lord of the Rings. Actually even if I did believe in the afterlife I would still choose to be immortal because paradise sounds boring. Spending an eternity worshiping some deity is bound to get boring for even the most devout believers imo. Unless of course you basically become brainwashed or something... Paradise just sounds bad no matter what.

ReputationRep:
    Is it just that the process of aging is so drawn out that most of your eternity life your an extremily fragile old person?

ReputationRep:
    It would probably get incredibly boring after a while so no

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Soontobesuper)
    Is it just that the process of aging is so drawn out that most of your eternity life your an extremily fragile old person?
    When people ask if you wanna live for eternity, it's best to think in terms of reality, ageing will be cured this generation unless there's an extinction event. You'd still be mortal, you could still be killed but you'll be ageless and survive indefinitely as soon as humans take space seriously and actually create technology for long distance travel

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryRedhead)
    If I had Superman's powers and unlimited money; sure, why not?

Otherwise, nahh
    Why would you need money if you had superman's powers lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sesshomaru24U)
    Why would you need money if you had superman's powers lol
    Because Clark Kent doesn't have a Porsche

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryRedhead)
    Because Clark Kent doesn't have a Porsche
    Touché.

ReputationRep:
    For me death means the end of my consciousness ,it seems VERY dark and scary .
    I want to live as much as possible ,because after that there's nothing... the nothing part is scary.
    I want to visit other galaxies and universes and explore literally everything (if that is possible)
    After 10^(graham number) years or so perhaps I may want to die (I'm not sure) .

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely.

Death is one of the biggest evils we face today. Many people seem to resign themselves to "the fact of death", and many even try to convince themselves that it is a good thing. Yet, for most people, there's no point in time when they would actually want to die. They cry, their family members and friends cry, and it's just known to be a bad thing. Somehow, though, people think that living forever (which is almost technically impossible seeing as the universe will eventually undergo heat death - unless we can create baby universes) or living for a very, very long time is the bad thing.

To paraphrase Eliezer Yudkowsky: if people got hit on the head by a cricket bat every week, pretty soon they would invent reasons why getting hit on the head with a cricket bat was a good thing.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Sug4rkane)
    When people ask if you wanna live for eternity, it's best to think in terms of reality, ageing will be cured this generation unless there's an extinction event. You'd still be mortal, you could still be killed but you'll be ageless and survive indefinitely as soon as humans take space seriously and actually create technology for long distance travel
    And fusion was supposed to be cracked last generation, if you can say that ageing will be cured then surely you can use your crystal ball to tell us whether there is an extinction event or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viddy9)
    Absolutely.

Death is one of the biggest evils we face today. Many people seem to resign themselves to "the fact of death", and many even try to convince themselves that it is a good thing. Yet, for most people, there's no point in time when they would actually want to die. They cry, their family members and friends cry, and it's just known to be a bad thing. Somehow, though, people think that living forever (which is almost technically impossible seeing as the universe will eventually undergo heat death - unless we can create baby universes) or living for a very, very long time is the bad thing.

To paraphrase Eliezer Yudkowsky: if people got hit on the head by a cricket bat every week, pretty soon they would invent reasons why getting hit on the head with a cricket bat was a good thing.
    Yeah but it stops you going mad. It's like a defence mechanism. Yes death is scary but that si from a being alive perspective. I don't see how it is anything other than none existent once you do die, since you don't exist any more. I would rather live longer but the thought of living for eternity is kind of scary in its own way. Humans get bored really easily. The ageing thing scares me more though. I only want to live longer if I get longer where I can still do things. The current thing of drawing it out does not appeal and I always want the option to end it.

I like The Culture thing. People are technically immortal but most people commit suicide at age 400 out of politeness

I am scared of death but since we can;t do anything about it currently and it is very unlikely to happen in my life time I am going to be happier if I can find ways of some how accepting it. Like having children and so on. Death isn't good but since it is going to happen I need to find ways of trying to accept it or at least make it less bad. I do feel like be careful what you wish for though with the idea of immortality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    Yes death is scary but that si from a being alive perspective.
    Yes, I don't think that wanting to stay alive is necessarily an indication that one's life is on balance good (with more happiness than suffering, for instance). Some of our fears about death are due to the status quo bias, most likely.

I would rather live longer but the thought of living for eternity is kind of scary in its own way. Humans get bored really easily. The ageing thing scares me more though. I only want to live longer if I get longer where I can still do things. The current thing of drawing it out does not appeal and I always want the option to end it.
    Yes, I would only want to live substantially longer if we could extend healthy lifespan, and not just lifespan.

I am scared of death but since we can;t do anything about it currently and it is very unlikely to happen in my life time I am going to be happier if I can find ways of some how accepting it. Like having children and so on. Death isn't good but since it is going to happen I need to find ways of trying to accept it or at least make it less bad. I do feel like be careful what you wish for though with the idea of immortality.
    Aubrey de Grey and others are conducting some interesting anti-ageing research (which is aimed at extending healthy lifespan), and Nick Bostrom and others believe that we will attain the technical capability to, say, upload our minds to computers. It could happen in your lifetime!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viddy9)

Aubrey de Grey and others are conducting some interesting anti-ageing research (which is aimed at extending healthy lifespan), and Nick Bostrom and others believe that we will attain the technical capability to, say, upload our minds to computers. It could happen in your lifetime!
    hmmm... need to lay off the booze then.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, provided some people were with me, peak physical conditions and no illnesses, and I knew ways to die.

Also I can achieve these methods easily.

Really, just no dying by old age or illnesses.

Also no being captured by any agency for experimentation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loveleest)
    The whole concept of the afterlife and living for eternity used to excite me when I was a young girl but now the whole idea of living for eternity, not only confuses me but it doesn't sound very satisfying to me anymore. And if I was giving the chance to live in a paradise for ever i doubt i would be entirely happy there anyway. The idea that I would be doing pretty much the same thing daily would suck the life out of me and would bring no meaning in life. I guess that having a limited time in life gives us motivation to fufil your dreams in a given time?

So, what do you think of living for eternity?
    Is that eternity on Earth? Also, do you age accordingly?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daito)
    Is that eternity on Earth? Also, do you age accordingly?
    I guess both afterlife and eternity on Earth,
    Would you like to experience either?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.