Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XxKingSniprxX)
    Q) Is there any air pollution in Japan in comparison to China and if so to what extent?

Q) Do you feel at times overworked in the Japanese education system on the contrast to UK education?

Q) What education system do you feel is more suited to students or would you say it depends upon the individual?
    Air pollution in Japan is very low (lower than the UK) and is on the complete opposite end of the spectrum when compared to China. Occassionally there is some air pollution blown across from China, but not much. The culture of wearing surgical masks is to stop spreading cold/flu and to avoid hayfever (everyone around this time is wearing masks), whereas in China they wear masks because of pollution.

I personally don't feel overworked, but that's because I don't need to work as hard as everyone else. In terms of the workload, I don't really think they get more than I did in the UK (honestly I think they get less), but there is much more of an emphasis here on individual study and revising for exams. In the UK we have GCSEs and A levels, so you need to work hard from 15-18. In Japan, you only have to work hard in your last year of high school, but the work is so intense that's it's extremely stressful. Students will stay behind and work everyday afterschool until 8-10pm.

I think the UK system is more suited to people who want to learn. For A levels, you generally take subjects you're interested in. In Japan, you are given less choice in what you study (literally humanities or sciences, and everyone has to take maths, English and Japanese(classical + modern)), and you study because you need to pass university entrance exams. I'm not sure what it's like for sciences because I chose humanities, but the content you learn is less flexible. I write a lot fewer essays than I did in the UK, and most of the testing is based on memorisation and rote repetition. Not much creativity or giving your opinions. You learn what's on the syllabus and that's it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheTechN1304)
    I'm studying at a school in Japan and am the only foreigner in the entire school of 1,500 people. AMA
    That's awesome! You're lucky! I would love to study in a different country if I wasn't so broke af!

How do you find night school and do you feel you've integrated well despite being the only foreigner?

:borat:

ReputationRep:
    Do you like any of the Japanese schoolgirls? What kind of food do they eat day to day. Do any of them do Judo? I they really polite and friendly? What is the most strange thing you have noticed?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by homeland.lsw)
    oh wow...I thought with Japan being so technologically adavanced, the schools would certainly benefit from this...That being said, a few of the classrooms in my school have blackboards too
    Yeah I know it's strange. The country itself is very advanced, but schools aren't. I guess it's sort of a tradition here for schools to be the way they are and not change

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FrenchUnicorn)
    Cool :yep:

Did you know how to speak Japanese before you go ?
    Yes, I studied it for about 4 years. But to be honest, there's a real difference between studying a language in the UK and actually moving to a country where it's spoken. My Japanese was 'good' by British standards (I got an A* at A level), but it was definitely inadequate when I got here, and it took about 4 months before I was actually comfortable with my Japanese.

Yes, I studied it for about 4 years. But to be honest, there's a real difference between studying a language in the UK and actually moving to a country where it's spoken. My Japanese was 'good' by British standards (I got an A* at A level), but it was definitely inadequate when I got here, and it took about 4 months before I was actually comfortable with my Japanese.
    I see ! Really interesting :yep: so now you're fluent in japanese I suppose ?

TheTechN1304 What do you think is the thing you'll miss most about Japan when you leave?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Parasite)
    That's awesome! You're lucky! I would love to study in a different country if I wasn't so broke af!

How do you find night school and do you feel you've integrated well despite being the only foreigner?

:borat:
    I don't have night school, but sometimes I stay at school studying until about 8pm. In terms of integration, I think I've done relatively well lol. The fact that I only speak Japanese definitely helps, and I try my best to do all their work, tests etc., so I can fit in as much as possible. Obviously I can't fully integrate, and simple things such as my name being written in the script for foreign words rather than Chinese characters makes me stick out, but I don't really mind!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by homeland.lsw)
    TheTechN1304 What do you think is the thing you'll miss most about Japan when you leave?
    It's difficult to say what I'll miss the most, but probably the attitudes of Japanese people and the safety of the country (also convenience stores, food and speaking Japanese) :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Are Japanese students taught about WW2? I've been hearing stuff about how the history textbooks make Japan to be the victim. Is this true?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Konahagakure)
    Are Japanese students taught about WW2? I've been hearing stuff about how the history textbooks make Japan to be the victim. Is this true?
    No one cares LOL. All that the student wants is to get into to a good uni

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Konahagakure)
    Yes, but we cover so much of Japan's history (all the way from ancient Japan), that we don't really go into any of it in much detail. The history books definitely don't make Japan look like the victim, and people know that they were on the bad side lol

ReputationRep:
    do you own one of those special really sharp swords ? you know the ones i mean

ReputationRep:
    I'm studying at a school in Japan and am the only foreigner in the entire school of 1,500 people. AMA
    Wow, that's awesome! For how long your school day lasts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    do you own one of those special really sharp swords ? you know the ones i mean
    No I don't haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Azhar Rana)
    Wow, that's awesome! For how long your school day lasts?
    First class starts at 8:40 and school finishes at 3:15. We have 50 minute lessons with 10 minutes between each lesson

ReputationRep:
    No I don't haha
    what about those sharp pointy star things ? you know the ones i mean

ReputationRep:
    what about those sharp pointy star things ? you know the ones i mean
    Shuriken? If only... :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Shuriken? If only... :lol:
    so i guess you only have that thing where two sticks are joined together with a chain ? you know the one i mean

you know the ones i mean
    you know the ones i mean
    you know the one i mean
    Hahahahah ! :' )

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.