Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Young voters who want to stay in the EU must vote, or we will be out! Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    Ffs the European Court which you mean does not 'rule over our justice system', thats the ECtHR which is a different, separate organisation.

Stop lumping different organizations together.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This confusion about who runs what extends right up into government and is a test case for how well the Mailygraph has done at bewildering people over the years.

If we'd set out as a country to join something important and then deliberately distort what that thing is and lie and lie about it for decades, we could not have done better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    This confusion about who runs what extends right up into government and is a test case for how well the Mailygraph has done at bewildering people over the years.

If we'd set out as a country to join something important and then deliberately distort what that thing is and lie and lie about it for decades, we could not have done better.
    It's just scary really. The EU has nothing to do with our 'justice system', that's the European Council.

People are making decisions based off incorrect information.

You're right though, the likes of the Daily Mail, Sun and Telegraph have done their best to lump everything together under the heading 'Europe'.

ReputationRep:
    So today we hear from the big Panama leak that one of the key organisers and funders of anti-EU Tories, Lord Ashcroft, is implicated in major tax evasion.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-law-firm.html

Ashcroft uses his tax evasion money to fund Tory anti-EU MPs and campaigns and has relentlessly undermined and attacked Tories who speak in favour of Europe.

The peer, who claims to be based in Belize as a nondom (but is frequently to be found in the UK) is not untypical of the sort of unpleasant characters involved in EU-bashing.

ReputationRep:

The peer, who claims to be based in Belize as a nondom (but is frequently to be found in the UK) is not untypical of the sort of unpleasant characters involved in EU-bashing.
    Yeah I'm sure all the Pro EU big business interests Cameron represents don't avoid any tax whatsoever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    Yeah I'm sure all the Pro EU big business interests Cameron represents don't avoid any tax whatsoever.
    Big business and banks will find a way to profit either way.

What matters is do you think the UK can better tackle tax dodgers on its own or in tandem with the rest of Europe (Which is generally more economically left wing than the UK). Case in point:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davij038)

What matters is do you think the UK can better tackle tax dodgers on its own or in tandem with the rest of Europe (Which is generally more economically left wing than the UK). Case in point:

Yeah I agree but I'm not pretending the EU is something it isn't. Also playing devils advocate.

ReputationRep:
    It's just scary really. The EU has nothing to do with our 'justice system', that's the European Council.

People are making decisions based off incorrect information.

You're right though, the likes of the Daily Mail, Sun and Telegraph have done their best to lump everything together under the heading 'Europe'.
    Exactly, I've commented on other threads about this as well. The ECHR has nothing to do with the EU and we will still be a signatory to it if we leave.

ReputationRep:
    The Brexit campaign is laughable. Suddenly IDS opposes 'cruel benefit cuts, Pritti Patel the arch Thacherite wants to pour billions into the NHS and Boris Johnon weeps for the workers of Port Talbot, blaming the EU.

And then Cameron and OSbourne for remain... They need labour voters yet have made no effort to reach out to them and instead a concerted effort to wipe people off the electoral register.

What a bizarre campaign.

ReputationRep:
    if the 47% also decide to vote hopefully we can get out of that crap hole.

ReputationRep:
    The Brexit campaign is laughable. Suddenly IDS opposes 'cruel benefit cuts, Pritti Patel the arch Thacherite wants to pour billions into the NHS and Boris Johnon weeps for the workers of Port Talbot, blaming the EU.

And then Cameron and OSbourne for remain... They need labour voters yet have made no effort to reach out to them and instead a concerted effort to wipe people off the electoral register.

What a bizarre campaign.
    It must be a nice change for Boris, as he has spent most of his time as Mayor flying around the planet trying to flog London property to rich people with tax difficulties. Apparently he considered this to be crucial.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davij038)

David and Gideon are wearing ties in that picture, so I trust them more than the guys on the other side. Also their smug, leering expressions make me feel comfortable that "all is well".

ReputationRep:
    David and Gideon are wearing ties in that picture, so I trust them more than the guys on the other side. Also their smug, leering expressions make me feel comfortable that "all is well".
    Are you doubting that 'we are all in this together'?
    You must have no aspiration..or something.

ReputationRep:
    Are you doubting that 'we are all in this together'?
    You must have no aspiration..or something.
    I reckon when they came up with "we're all in this together", they were thinking of their rich friends and the Panama scheme.

ReputationRep:
    I reckon when they came up with "we're all in this together", they were thinking of their rich friends and the Panama scheme.
    I think the comments in the Panama thread show how and why the tories and right wing are so good at getting people to vote against their own interests.

Quite a few support paying no tax, arguing 'it's legal', not withstanding the fact that it's exploitation of an unintended, legal loophole. Yet how many of them get angry with Benefit claimants buying beer and ****? Technically that's 'legal'.

It's as if the tories dangle this shiny loophole system above people's heads, that people think 'if I become wealthy i'll get to use it'. Despite the fact that the vast majority will never be rich enough to use them. Instead it means they get shoddy public services which they are far more likely to need.

It's making people think they have a chance of becoming ultra-wealthy that the tories get people to vote in the interests of the elite, to the detriment of themselves.

ReputationRep:
    You may sneer but at least the Tories know the national anthem and respect our undemocratic European royalty.

Also they have a Short Term Economic Scam.

ReputationRep:
    Still undecided.
    How long have I got left?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ODES_PDES)
    Still undecided.
    How long have I got left?
    It's on Thursday 23 June.

Are you registered to vote? You can only vote in it if you are already on the electoral roll some time before the vote.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-32810887

ReputationRep:
    The European issue can all be boiled down to this simple philosophical question. Does one Jim Smith make 10 Li Wong's?

ReputationRep:
    It's on Thursday 23 June.

Are you registered to vote? You can only vote in it if you are already on the electoral roll some time before the vote.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-32810887
    I am registered

ReputationRep:
    The day of the vote is still during my exams so I'm not sure if I'll be able to although I would want to vote as this is the first year I've been able to vote
    Otherwise I think I'd vote out but not 100% sure

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.