The Student Room Group

6th and 14th June 2016 - AQA GCSE History B *Official Exam Thread*

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
I did topics, 2,3,4 WTF were they on about in the topic 3, 4 marker i just guessed it really confused and threw me off i got all mixed up :frown: I'm confident that I at least passed though and that's all I need
I did the last three topics - I thought the exam was pretty good! I'm mainly dreading unit 2.
I went blank during the 'how did America maintain democracy' question. I talked vaguely about Kosovo and Kuwait - is that right? :s-smilie:
Reply 82
Original post by pugsofwesteros
I did the last three topics - I thought the exam was pretty good! I'm mainly dreading unit 2.
I went blank during the 'how did America maintain democracy' question. I talked vaguely about Kosovo and Kuwait - is that right? :s-smilie:

That's what I did because we hadn't learnt about anything else after the Cold War. I didn't think it was particularly about democracy, so I'm not sure.

I hated the Czechoslovakia/Afghanistan question :frown: How did everyone find it?
Original post by Flammae
That's what I did because we hadn't learnt about anything else after the Cold War. I didn't think it was particularly about democracy, so I'm not sure.

I hated the Czechoslovakia/Afghanistan question :frown: How did everyone find it?

I thought the last two 4 markers - Helsinki especially - were pretty difficult. I knew by pure chance was Helsinki was about, and for the USA and democracy question I wrote about the expansion of NATO and Kosovo, both in a little bit of detail.

Everyone seems to dislike topic 6 but I actually really like it. All the 10 markers were my dream questions (sorry Flammae) and the 6 markers were pretty good. I don't actually think the Catholic Church was the main reason for the success of underground Solidarity but that was easiest to write about, and the CMC and Salami Tactics ones were alright. The Czechoslovakia/Afghanistan was really nice for me, as was the UN in Korea/Soviets in Hungary one. When I turned onto the last page and saw Gorbachev/Reagan, I was pretty much made up. :smile:

Hope you all did okay xxxx
Original post by surina16
Yeah we all did the AQA exam :biggrin:

Lol I'm in the wrong thread then, sorry! XD I do edexcel that's why I was so confused.
Reply 85
Paper 1 was a breeze, therefore the grade boundaries will slighly increase, maybe 50/60 for an A*. Thats averaging 17/20 per section.
Would anyone doing the race relations topic in Paper 2 be able to help me in terms of how to prepare for 8 mark questions? I was planning on simply learning the textbook, but most of the questions seem to be "Explain why..." questions, which the textbook is not great for. Thanks in advance!:smile:
Original post by pinksplodge
Would anyone doing the race relations topic in Paper 2 be able to help me in terms of how to prepare for 8 mark questions? I was planning on simply learning the textbook, but most of the questions seem to be "Explain why..." questions, which the textbook is not great for. Thanks in advance!:smile:

If it says 'explain why the freedom rides were important for achieving civil rights' or something like that then you should do 2 paragraphs explaining the event and then link it back to the question saying why it was important, having a different point in each paragraph. Hope this helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile
First paper I did question 4,5,6 and for the second paper I am doing 1, 4, 8. Anyone have any resources that may help with the following topics:
Topic 1 From Tsardom to Communism: Russia, 1914–1924
Topic 4 Stalin’s Dictatorship: USSR, 1924–1941
Topic 8 War in Vietnam, 1954–1975

For topic 1, I have this link that is quite useful:
http://www.irevise.com/Content-Display/Download-Manager/ProductInfoID/6511/FileID/8579/Filename/From-Tsardom-to-Communism-Russia-1914-1924
Original post by ChocoMocoHD
First paper I did question 4,5,6 and for the second paper I am doing 1, 4, 8. Anyone have any resources that may help with the following topics:

http://www.irevise.com/Content-Display/Download-Manager/ProductInfoID/6511/FileID/8579/Filename/From-Tsardom-to-Communism-Russia-1914-1924

Hi
Coincidentally I am doing exactly the same topics as you! Do you have any predictions as to what might come up? Good luck with your revision xx
Original post by PrincessGrace123
Hi
Coincidentally I am doing exactly the same topics as you! Do you have any predictions as to what might come up? Good luck with your revision xx

Hey, unfortunately I don't have any predictions at the moment but if I find any I will be sure to let you know. Thanks, good luck to you too! :smile:
Who else is doing:

Topic 3: The Roaring 20s
Topic 6: Depression and the New Deal
Topic 8: The USA and Vietnam, 1964—1975

And some tips on revision? History is stressing me out.
Reply 92
Anyone doing Topic 10: The Middle East on Paper 2? Just out of interest, as it seems that no one I've spoken to does it, apart from those at our school!
Reply 93
Hi

I'm doing those same topics as well and I looked up what came up on last year's paper - here are the topics:

War Communism
Difficulties faced by Provisional Government
Influence of Rasputin on the Tsar and Tsarina
Power struggle following Lenin's death
Purges and consolidation of Stalin's power
USA involvement in Vietnam 1954-1960
Tet Offensive and impacts of it on the US public

So I'd say these are less likely to come up. My History teacher thinks that collectivisation and the Five-Year Plans will come up though.
Reply 94
Does anyone have any practice questions for the following topics (excluding the questions from the past paper.)

Topic 1: From Tsardom to Communism: Russia, 1914–1924
Topic 5: Hitler’s Germany, 1929–1945
Topic 7: Race Relations in the USA, 1945–1968
Reply 95
Original post by gd99
Anyone doing Topic 10: The Middle East on Paper 2? Just out of interest, as it seems that no one I've spoken to does it, apart from those at our school!

Yes I am. I must admit that it is a very unpopular choice.

P.S Do you happen to have any revision materials
Original post by F0X
I'm doing those same topics as well and I looked up what came up on last year's paper - here are the topics:

War Communism

So I'd say these are less likely to come up. My History teacher thinks that collectivisation and the Five-Year Plans will come up though.

Ah OK thanks you so much :smile:
Good luck for tomorrow xx
Reply 97
Original post by dexterminate
Who else is doing:

Topic 3: The Roaring 20s
Topic 6: Depression and the New Deal
Topic 8: The USA and Vietnam, 1964—1975

And some tips on revision? History is stressing me out.

im doing these as well - do you know any exam technique/how to answer questions? im pretty confused 😁
Original post by ChocoMocoHD

Hi

Original post by F0X

War Communism

I'm doing the same topics as you :smile:
How are you revising? I find Unit 2 so much harder than Unit 1! :redface:
Anyone doing Weimar Germany, Hitler Germany and War in Vietnam?

Quick Reply

Latest