Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What made you realise you're not special & the world owes you nothing? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZuluK)
    You should be sorry... Very very sorry

Awwwwwww I'll wait forever and a day for you...

<3
    Ok

:heart:
    JLS really :indiff:

(Original post by toonervoustotalk)
    Ok

:heart:
    JLS really :indiff:
    Yep JLS and you got the reference

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laomedeia)
    Like hell it does. Having to work for your stuff severely limits what you can have, aswell as the time you have to use stuff.
    If I had everything for sod all, I would fly everywhere in a helicopter rather than in a stupid car. If everyone could use helicopters or other light aircraft, then congestion on the roads would be much less. On the few occasions I would use a car, it would be a Bugatti Veyron or a Ferrari F40 (love that one). Unfortunately as lovely as I am, I am closer to being an absolute scumbag A.H ******* than I am the perfect person who has it all such as Richard Branson or someone.
    As I've said, what I want can't be given to me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    You know me too well
    I agree with every last letter in that post

:yep:
    Dude, could you stop brown-nosing?

(Original post by ZuluK)
    Yeah you're right, in the best way

Yeah but I'm the one
    Nope

ReputationRep:
    I never went through this phrase (look how special I am).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peroxidation)
    When I first looked at the quantum world.

Everything in existence is governed by what the fundamental particles do - everything! There's so few of them yet they create everything in existence. It makes you realise that everything we consider important in life, like friendships, jobs, family, love, happiness and all the bad stuff that happens to us is all completely meaningless. Such things only exist inside the human bubble, while reality continues on around us unaffected by what we do.

The whole human race could be wiped out tomorrow and it wouldn't even put a scratch in the grand scheme of things. All life itself could be erased without consequence. No matter what happens in our insignificant lives and world, the fundamental particles will always continue to do their thing.

This is also what freed me from the clutches of religion. No matter what God you believe in or what you hold sacred, the fundamental particles will always continue as they are. Gods and ideologies exist only within the human bubble, they have no bearing at all on reality. If anything is divine, it's the fundamental particles, for they govern all of existence and will always exist. Individual particles may disappear but since they are virtual particles more will just pop into existence and take their place.

The quantum world really puts a new perspective on things. Through studying it you end up detaching yourself from mundane concerns and consequently mundane issues can no longer affect you emotionally. It's quite humbling really.
    Similarly (but also in contrast ), the observation of the cosmos and the vastness of the universe also provides this same sort of perspective. How we're all just tiny specs in a grand universe. The universe doesn't care if you love others, hate others, get a job or commit a crime. After you die, the universe keeps on running, not giving a second thought about anything you've done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thomb)
    I haven't what are you trying to say?
    I didn't read it but my biology teacher gave me an idea of what it's about. We, as humans, are born and we reproduce, passing on our genes to our children. Then we die. Our children pass on their genes to their children and they too die. So the idea is that our genes seem to live forever and people are just mechanisms used to do that. After we pass on our genes, we are no longer needed.

(Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    I did, but I'm too self-centered to share my conclusions.
    Cool. Maybe you can explain it better than I did.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roxy1331)
    I didn't read it but my biology teacher gave me an idea of what it's about. We, as humans, are born and we reproduce, passing on our genes to our children. Then we die. Our children pass on their genes to their children and they too die. So the idea is that our genes seem to live forever and people are just mechanisms used to do that. After we pass on our genes, we are no longer needed.

Cool. Maybe you can explain it better than I did.
    The central concept was that it is genes that are seeking to survive, not organisms as such. Therefore all behaviour, reproductive success, environmental resilience, etc, are simply the result of survival strategies of genes.

I think he's somewhat modified his views since the book though. One controversial element was that he proposed that any apparent cooperation between predator and prey groups could only be a result of genetic survival programming, which is contrary to the view (we are told) of many ecological scientists, who theorise that predator/prey communities operate together in deep ways to create sustainable ecologies. Dawkins apparently now takes the view that it is possible that genes might be programmed that way. An example might be that apparently anti-survival behaviour by some animals has actually evolved to ensure that predators can increase the health and survivability of a prey population by making it easier to pick off weaker members, benefiting both populations.

He also reckons that the wrong lessons were drawn from the book regarding humans, eg, that it logically means that all human behaviour is drawn from selfish motives. Game theory for example has pointed to altruism or cooperation as a more successful strategy than outright selfishness in many situations. Dawkins does not deny this and claims that his book was misunderstood in this kind of area.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy98)
    Dude, could you stop brown-nosing?

Nope
    Yes
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Yes
    Which bit is that a response to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy98)
    Which bit is that a response to?
    Both parts :lol:
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Both parts :lol:
    In which case:

Part one: Good boy

Part two: :rofl: :no:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 5, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.