Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should schools alter changing rooms, toilets + uniforms to accommodate trans pupils? Watch

• View Poll Results: Should schools alter changing rooms, toilets + uniforms to accommodate trans pupils?
    Yes
    36.15%
    No
    63.85%

• Section Leader
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Articultr)
    i feel like people online make out that there are so many transgendered people whereas in reality there's probably only a couple in every town. Out of all the 200 people in my year at school there was only 1 transgendered girl. I just think that it would be unnecessary to make an all gender toilet for just a couple of pupils and it would probably do them more harm than good. Same with uniform, allowing them to wear any uniform is fine but surely there's more chance of them getting bullied for it?
    That you know of. Especially as you say you're still at school, people are generally scared to come out at school and do so later in life. But the option may help people feel more comfortable - if it even helps 1 person's life it's worth it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The fact that children and young teenagers are deciding that they're 'transsexual' and 'transgender' is even more concerning. How do they even know at that age? I think we're leading down a path that's just going to confuse children and adolescents even more. Transgender this, non-gender-conforming that... what is this, East Tumblr High?

It's not necessarily practical, either. Most schools are built with only two locker rooms, and sometimes a disabled facility. Are they gonna make these special snowflakes change out in a hut?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wewuz Hebrews)
    The obsession with protecting certain strata of the population is beginning to become a bad joke, eventually students of all genders will be forced to wear androgynous jumpsuits.
    both genders*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dandaman1)
    The fact that children and young teenagers are deciding that they're 'transsexual' and 'transgender' is even more concerning. How do they even know at that age? I think we're leading down a path that's just going to confuse children and adolescents even more. Transgender this, non-gender-conforming that... what is this, East Tumblr High?

It's not necessarily practical, either. Most schools are built with only two locker rooms, and sometimes a disabled facility. Are they gonna make these special snowflakes change out in a hut?
    1. You don't get to decide if you're trans or not. In a lot of cases you know something ain't right with your body from the age of like 5-6, in others it takes a little longer to manifest but nevertheless they didn't decide.
    2. It would do literally no harm to new schools to build a gender neutral facility, or when older ones have a refurbishment a little space from male and female facilities wouldn't go amiss in order to make at least one person feel more comfortable in education (lets face it all schools ted to care about is the grades the students get and students aren't going to do well if they don't feel comfortable at the centre.
    3. 'Special Snowflake' is hardly appropriate to call trans people when cis boys can't handle their female peers having a bit of skin on show.

ReputationRep:
    There are two outed transgender boys at my 'all-girls' (heh) school, one in year 10 and one in year 11 - both have had names changed on the register after a doctor's note and both have he/him and their preferred names used by teachers, and the latter is having the exam board change his name just before we start GCSEs in May, I think. Our school also changed the signs to say 'student toilets' rather than 'girl's toilets'but both boys can use the sixth form-only and disabled toilets if they feel uncomfortable using the toilets around girls. I know a few other trans people, too, who aren't out to teachers but identify as something other than female.

I hope this doesn't come across as using them as tokens or anything. I'm very close friends with both of them and as far as I'm aware, the only school-related trouble they've had thus far is a room change on our residential; teachers having to book an extra room or two so they aren't with girls.

As for the poll, I don't even think uniform should be gendered anyway. If a boy wants to wear a skirt and makeup, let him. If a girl wants to have a boyish haircut and wear trousers, let her. If someone wants to stay androgynous-looking and flit between the two, let them. Changing rooms and toilets would be more of an issue to make all-gender, though. I can see a lot of potential for bullying and assault going on in there, which would be impossible to prove or have evidence for since security cameras are illegal in those places - but on the other hand, I'm sure a lot of bullying happens in changing rooms/toilets anyway.

I don't know. If they can find a way to have all-gender toilets for those who feel uncomfortable in single-gender ones or who are neither male nor female without there being a significant risk, then they should definitely try to implement it. For a single-sex school, ours is pretty accommodating (although there are a few slip-ups now and then), but I don't know how well things would fare in bigger schools or schools with a lot of major issues to deal with alongside that.

ReputationRep:
    Well 65.01% of you's are ignorant.

Sex neutral bathrooms are fine. No rapist is going to be deterred by a sign with a sex that isn't theirs to so stop projecting. Everyone needs a toilet room so the 65%, stop being a bag of dicks.

Everyone should be able to wear any type of relevant school uniform. You want the trousers? Go for it but there should be a jeans option. You want the dress or skirt? Go for it. They can both look great regardless of ones body.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wewuz Hebrews)
    Whilst I agree that accommodating transgender pupils is important, I can imagine this sort of heavy handed liberalism being a disaster in terms of protecting girls.

In the PE changing rooms at my school, there were loads of fights, people having their pants pulled down, bags chucked in the shower. If one person suffers sexual assault as a result of this, there should be immediate resignations.
    Please could you clarify why you think sexual assault is any more likely with gender-neutral facilities?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sug4rkane)

Sex neutral bathrooms are fine. No rapist is going to be deterred by a sign with a sex that isn't theirs to so stop projecting. Everyone needs a toilet room so the 65%, stop being a bag of dicks.

Everyone should be able to wear any type of relevant school uniform. You want the trousers? Go for it but there should be a jeans option. You want the dress or skirt? Go for it. They can both look great regardless of ones body.
    Rapists no but if you make it easier other offences will increase, if we had the same gun laws as America that would mean more guns and more shootings.

I voted no because I think those changes are unnecessary we can do more yes but I think acceptance of them as either gender would be better than the suggestions.

ReputationRep:
    absolutely not , what a waste of money. trans should go to the toilets they feel best making a separate one would be a form of segregation.

ReputationRep:

I agree people can wear whatever they want but they should acknowledge the gender given to them by birth

ReputationRep:

I agree people can wear whatever they want but they should acknowledge the gender given to them by birth

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wania98)
    lol no thanks
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
    Yes. Having at least one all gender bathroom and changing area and letting people wear whatever uniform they want isn't going to hurt anyone and will make things easier for pupils who identify as trans or gender non-binary. Can't think of a reason why you wouldn't do it :dontknow:
    :ditto:

ReputationRep:
    I think that kids should be allowed to use whatever bathroom they're comfortable with, as well as wear the uniform of the gender they choose to identify as! The only thing is that school's not the most accepting or mature environment at the best of times..

ReputationRep:
    how would they adapt uniforms i don't really understand ?

ReputationRep:
    absolutely not , what a waste of money. trans should go to the toilets they feel best making a separate one would be a form of segregation.
    Removing signs doesn't cost anything. Gender neutral bathrooms are the complete opposite of segregation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlmightyJesus)
    it would incredibly easy to exploit, as south park demonstrated when cartman simply claimed to be trans and therefore the school had to let him use it or else they'd get sued
    But then... what I took from that episode was that it was Cartman exploiting the system... the guy who kill a guys parents and fed them to him and single handedly changed the results of the american election. To me, it emphasized the point that a sociopath like Cartman would do something like that, not an ordinary student.

ReputationRep:
    Removing signs doesn't cost anything. Gender neutral bathrooms are the complete opposite of segregation.
    oh i thought they were creating a third stall like in south park lol:facepalm: nevermind

ReputationRep:
    How many young school kids identify as trans though?

ReputationRep:
    Good job on completely invalidating every trans person ever.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 10, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.