Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you have a rice cooker at home? Watch

• View Poll Results: Do you have a rice cooker?
    Yes
    30.20%
    No
    69.80%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherryred90s)
    All of them? Bold
    Seriously though, no black person I know has one
    I suppose it depends on the country they're from too..
    I can't imagine a household without a rice cooker, I remember my grandparents had a rice cooker before they got a washing machine, before that they washed clothes on big rocks outside but a rice cooker was a must.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dinasaurus)
    I can't imagine a household without a rice cooker, I remember my grandparents had a rice cooker before they got a washing machine, before that they washed clothes on big rocks outside but a rice cooker was a must.
    I asked my mum why we don't have one
    Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 61
Size:  177.1 KB

Yeah I don't think we'll ever get one

ReputationRep:
    I asked my mum why we don't have one
    Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 61
Size:  177.1 KB

Yeah I don't think we'll ever get one
    Haha TSR's even got you asking your mum haha, I honestly grew up thinking a rice cooker was like electricity or a toilet, something everyone had.

I asked my friends yesterday as well, my white friends didn't know it existed. Indian ones didn't use one and my chinese friends had multiple.

Must be a stereotype.

ReputationRep:
    I'm British and I don't have a rice cooker. They take up space etc when it's really easy to do easy cook basmati in a saucepan or wok in twenty minutes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dinasaurus)
    Haha TSR's even got you asking your mum haha, I honestly grew up thinking a rice cooker was like electricity or a toilet, something everyone had.

I asked my friends yesterday as well, my white friends didn't know it existed. Indian ones didn't use one and my chinese friends had multiple.

Must be a stereotype.
    :laugh: I know right. How long does it take to cook in a rice cooker?
    Yeah I have a Chinese flatmate and I can smell his rice cooker from my room like 4 days a week. Smells nice though so I'm not complaining.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't even know that rice cookers existed until uni, then I had like 7 in my kitchen.

ReputationRep:
    :laugh: I know right. How long does it take to cook in a rice cooker?
    Yeah I have a Chinese flatmate and I can smell his rice cooker from my room like 4 days a week. Smells nice though so I'm not complaining.
    I'm not sure, it turns itself off when its done so I don't really check it but maybe 20 minutes? It also switches to warming mode when it's finished so its still warm when you serve.

ReputationRep:
    I'm half Italian and half Eritrean.
    No rice cooker, I use the ordinary pot.

ReputationRep:
    I'd never used one until I spent some time living in Japan. After returning to England, it was one of my first purchases. Couldn't live without one now. I eat a hell of a lot of rice. They make quick lunches/dinners incredibly easy, as you can put more than the rice in them. Throw some meat and veg in there as well and you've got an entire meal in one pot, with minimal effort.

ReputationRep:
    We have two, one for family meals which we make 3-4 cups of rice in and one that we bring out for large gatherings (30-60 people) and it can make 16 cups at a time. My siblings also had ones that they took to uni that makes one cup of rice at a time. Very convenient for certain types of rice but others do taste better made in a pot!

Iraqi, and we eat rice with nearly every meal.

P.S. We've had so many rice cookers over the years that we've accumulated 8 rice paddles that come with each of the rice cookers 😂

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.