Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Government spends £9.3m of YOUR money on EU Propaganda leaflets Watch

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Youngmetro)
    I see it all as an escalation of the protectionist policy and attitude the EU has, closing us off from the rest of the world with mainly eastern european countries seeing the benefits, hence why Poland has been so hostile towards Cameron's proposal.

Things like stricter regulations seem to me like passive hostility towards countries outside of the EU, since many other regulations such as Carbon trading seem to be ineffective.

Ultimately Cameron is trying to negotiate our membership and hopefully get the best deal. The likelihood of this is the game changer in this whole debate.
    THE NEGOTIATIONS FINISHED MONTHS AGO!!!

Here's the text of you want to read it, it's rather dry and doesn't really say much: http://www.politico.eu/article/full-...it-referendum/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    9 million is barely anything. Installing a playground for children costs several thousand, funding NCS costs £1000 per person attending.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    the cost of untangling a Brexit Britain from decades of EU partnership will be in the £100s of millions. the government is being sensible in spending a few £million to prevent this.
    The british taxpayers give the EU £55MILLION POUND A DAY !! A DAY!

We only get back around half of this and have no control on how it is to be spent

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Betelgeuse-)
    The british taxpayers give the EU £55MILLION POUND A DAY !! A DAY!

We only get back around half of this and have no control on how it is to be spent
    so each taxpayer chips in £1 a day to belong to the EU ? excellent value... cheaper than my gym.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanL_)
    You have a very naive view of what a dictatorship is. In China the government decides what you believe and punishes you if you disagree. They don't send out some leaflets telling you the facts and hope that you happen to agree with them.
    "The facts"

ReputationRep:
    so each taxpayer chips in £1 a day to belong to the EU ? excellent value... cheaper than my gym.
    Please explain what this'excellent value' buys us which we couldn't achieve outside of the EU. We pay 55 million a day to have our seat on the WTO removed, unwanted legislation forced upon us and to pay for this self serving vanity project.

ReputationRep:
    tl;dr

And fix your maths before interacting with me.
    Oh dear.. pro EU in a nutshell

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    THE NEGOTIATIONS FINISHED MONTHS AGO!!!

Here's the text of you want to read it, it's rather dry and doesn't really say much: http://www.politico.eu/article/full-...it-referendum/

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ahh, my bad. I was under the impression that Cameron will further negotiate the deals after the referendum, since i heard of an argument that if we vote to stay in the EU, we won't be able to get the deal we want.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Dragon_)
    Please explain what this'excellent value' buys us which we couldn't achieve outside of the EU. We pay 55 million a day to have our seat on the WTO removed, unwanted legislation forced upon us and to pay for this self serving vanity project.
    1. Jobs

Around 3.5 million British jobs are directly linked to British membership of the European Union’s single market – 1 in 10 British jobs.

2. Exports & investment

The EU buys over 50 per cent of UK exports (54 per cent of goods, 40 per cent of services).
    Over 300,000 British companies and 74 per cent of British exporters operate in other EU markets.
    American and Asian EU firms build factories in Britain because it is in the single market.

3. Trade

The EU negotiates trade agreements with the rest of the world. Outside the EU Britain would have to renegotiate trade deals alone. While the EU is the world’s largest market, a UK outside the EU would not be a high priority for other counties to negotiate a trade deal.

4. Consumer clout

British families enjoy lower mobile phone roaming charges, lower credit card fees, cheaper flights and proper compensation when flights are delayed or cancelled. These sorts of benefits could not be achieved by Britain alone.

5. Clean environment

Through commonly agreed EU standards, national Governments have achieved improvements to the quality of air, rivers and beaches. Good for Britain and good for Britons holidaying or living abroad!

6. Power to curb the multinationals

The EU has taken on multinational giants like Microsoft, Samsung and Toshiba for unfair competition. The UK would not be able to do this alone.

7. Freedom to work and study abroad – and easy travel

1.4 million British people live abroad in the EU. More than 14,500 UK students took part in the European Union’s Erasmus student exchange scheme in 2012-13. Driving licences issued in the UK are valid throughout the EU.

8. Peace and democracy

The EU has helped secure peace among previously warring western European nations. It helped to consolidate democracy in Spain, Portugal, Greece and former Soviet bloc countries and helped preserve peace in the Balkans since the end of the Balkans War. With the UN it now plays a leading role in conflict prevention, peacekeeping and democracy building.

9. Equal pay and non-discrimination

Equal pay for men and women is enshrined in EU law, as are bans on discrimination by age, race or sexual orientation. This benefits Britain and British people who live in other EU countries.

10. Influence in the world

As 28 democracies, and as the world’s biggest market, we are strong when we work together.
    Britain is represented in many international organisations in joint EU delegations – giving Britain more influence than it would have alone. The EU has played a major role in climate, world trade and development.

11. Cutting red tape

Common rules for the common market make it unnecessary to have 28 sets of national regulations.

12. Fighting crime

The European Arrest Warrant replaced long extradition procedures and enables the UK to extradite criminals wanted in other EU countries, and bring to justice criminals wanted in the UK who are hiding in other EU countries.

Eurojust helps UK authorities work with other EU countries’ to tackle international organised crime such as drug smuggling, people trafficking and money laundering.

...and one bonus...

13. Research funding

The UK is the second largest beneficiary of EU research funds, and the British Government expects future EU research funding to constitute a vital source of income for our world-leading universities and companies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LibertyMan)
    9 million is barely anything. Installing a playground for children costs several thousand, funding NCS costs £1000 per person attending.
    I agree, the cost only accounts for about 4.5 hours worth of EU membership.

But it isnt just the cost of these leaflets, its the concept. At a time when he was planning to cut disability benefits and public services are struggling to cope, Dave spends tax payers money on effectively attempting to retain his own job through propaganda

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LibertyMan)
    Obviously the media would only denounce funding that goes against their own political viewpoint

ReputationRep:
    Excellent value how?

They could just not chip in a £1 a day and then spend the money how they see fit, instead of getting half back and being told what it has to be spent on.

ReputationRep:
    1. Jobs

Around 3.5 million British jobs are directly linked to British membership of the European Union’s single market – 1 in 10 British jobs.

2. Exports & investment

The EU buys over 50 per cent of UK exports (54 per cent of goods, 40 per cent of services).
    Over 300,000 British companies and 74 per cent of British exporters operate in other EU markets.
    American and Asian EU firms build factories in Britain because it is in the single market.

3. Trade

The EU negotiates trade agreements with the rest of the world. Outside the EU Britain would have to renegotiate trade deals alone. While the EU is the world’s largest market, a UK outside the EU would not be a high priority for other counties to negotiate a trade deal.

4. Consumer clout

British families enjoy lower mobile phone roaming charges, lower credit card fees, cheaper flights and proper compensation when flights are delayed or cancelled. These sorts of benefits could not be achieved by Britain alone.

5. Clean environment

Through commonly agreed EU standards, national Governments have achieved improvements to the quality of air, rivers and beaches. Good for Britain and good for Britons holidaying or living abroad!

The EU has taken on multinational giants like Microsoft, Samsung and Toshiba for unfair competition. The UK would not be able to do this alone.

1.4 million British people live abroad in the EU. More than 14,500 UK students took part in the European Union’s Erasmus student exchange scheme in 2012-13. Driving licences issued in the UK are valid throughout the EU.

8. Peace and democracy

The EU has helped secure peace among previously warring western European nations. It helped to consolidate democracy in Spain, Portugal, Greece and former Soviet bloc countries and helped preserve peace in the Balkans since the end of the Balkans War. With the UN it now plays a leading role in conflict prevention, peacekeeping and democracy building.

Equal pay for men and women is enshrined in EU law, as are bans on discrimination by age, race or sexual orientation. This benefits Britain and British people who live in other EU countries.

As 28 democracies, and as the world’s biggest market, we are strong when we work together.
    Britain is represented in many international organisations in joint EU delegations – giving Britain more influence than it would have alone. The EU has played a major role in climate, world trade and development.

11. Cutting red tape

Common rules for the common market make it unnecessary to have 28 sets of national regulations.

12. Fighting crime

The European Arrest Warrant replaced long extradition procedures and enables the UK to extradite criminals wanted in other EU countries, and bring to justice criminals wanted in the UK who are hiding in other EU countries.

Eurojust helps UK authorities work with other EU countries’ to tackle international organised crime such as drug smuggling, people trafficking and money laundering.

...and one bonus...

13. Research funding

The UK is the second largest beneficiary of EU research funds, and the British Government expects future EU research funding to constitute a vital source of income for our world-leading universities and companies.
    Wow good effort, you just copy and pasted your entire argument from http://www.proeuropa.org.uk/twelevereasons/ - are you struggling to think for yourself ?

ReputationRep:
    1. Jobs

2. Exports & investment

3. Trade

4. Consumer clout

5. Clean environment

8. Peace and democracy

11. Cutting red tape

12. Fighting crime

...and one bonus...

13. Research funding

I'm impressed. :five: I thought Bear would be an anti-EU type of animal.

It's nice to see the furry members of TSR coming out in favour of Remain.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not here to discuss with a stupid degenerate like you. I've made my views very clear here yet you quote a random reply i made earlier. You really do undermine the brexit campaign with your ignorance.

I guess you're still holding a grudge when I disapproved of your love for feet (it's disgusting btw)
    Oh dear, the only person undermining their arguments is yourself, its not good to base your whole pro EU argument on David Camerons "re negetotiation" which you didnt even know has already happened and he failed, miserably.

Nice ad hom chief, yes i am really upset at your views about my sexual preferences and totally knew you where the same poster (Because all eyes are on youngmetro) :erm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    I'm impressed. :five: I thought Bear would be an anti-EU type of animal.

It's nice to see the furry members of TSR coming out in favour of Remain.
    y helo Mademoiselle

:pierre:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Dragon_)
    Wow good effort, you just copy and pasted your entire argument from http://www.proeuropa.org.uk/twelevereasons/ - are you struggling to think for yourself ?
    i would certainly not want you to think for me :naughty:

ReputationRep:
    Blimey, and I didn't even give them £9.3m.

ReputationRep:
    Time to get out of this abusive relationship. Why are some of you guys so afraid of change?
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    This is a disgusting subversion of democracy. Why should leave voters pay their hard-earned money for leaflets with pro-remain information on when the leave campaign has to find money for leaflets itself? To say nothing of the many better things the money could have gone on. Then again, this is just the government being typical Tories, they're perfectly fine saying that we should all tighten our belts and cutting vital services like policing and help for disabled people in the name of austerity, but they couldn't possibly refrain from spending when doing so would lead to a consequence they don't want.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 11, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.