The Student Room Group

Re: Edexcel Geography Unit 4 Tectonic activity & Hazards (2016)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by courtneyl7a7
Do we have to say why we have chosen the case studies? If so where in the intro or Methodology?

I've done mine after the methodology under a separate heading, so 2.0 methodology 2.1 sources, 2.2 case studies
Reply 81
Original post by larabb
Is anyone else going to memories a report? Based on the other question that was similar Or is that a bad idea because atm that's all I've been doing😕

That's what i've been doing, I don't reckon they could change the question too drastically in the exam- i'm practicing Explain why there is such a variety of distinctive, tectonic landscapes
Reply 82
Original post by pbjane
That's what i've been doing, I don't reckon they could change the question too drastically in the exam- i'm practicing Explain why there is such a variety of distinctive, tectonic landscapes

hey what headings are you using, also what sources and case studies? Everyone seems to be focusing on one landscape with multiple activity but weve been tought to do a variety e.g. Yellowstone caldera contrasted with mauna loa and soufriere hills in extrusive x
Reply 83
Hey i've done Intro, Focus, Framework, Methodology, Case Studies, Sources- Findings, Plate Tectonic theory, Destructive pb, Constructive pb, Conservative pb, intraplate pb, Conclusion. But between every plate boundary i've done a sub-conclusion.

I've included about three cases studies for each plate boundary including Hawaii, The Andes, Nevado Del Ruiz, Iceland, The Cairngorms, East Africa Rift valley, San Andreas etc.
Reply 84
Original post by pbjane
Hey i've done Intro, Focus, Framework, Methodology, Case Studies, Sources- Findings, Plate Tectonic theory, Destructive pb, Constructive pb, Conservative pb, intraplate pb, Conclusion. But between every plate boundary i've done a sub-conclusion.

I've included about three cases studies for each plate boundary including Hawaii, The Andes, Nevado Del Ruiz, Iceland, The Cairngorms, East Africa Rift valley, San Andreas etc.

oh nice!! any chance you could send me a copy through private message of your draft so I can see your layout in real life and ill send you mine just to get ideas how to structure x
Original post by pbjane

What is the focus, I've never used it as a separate heading?
Reply 86
What is the focus, I've never used it as a separate heading?

Our teacher just told us to include a short paragraph explaining what the report will be focused on, so I included the definition of distinctive etc
I'm think of doing it by size of formations and how they fit into landscapes, so moving up from small non magmatic features to large magmatic and seismic features. Old Faithful to the Mid Atlantic Ridge. So rather than doing a case study by case study, it'll be a group by group focus.
Hi,

So I'm an independent student working already within a school and have applied to sit these exams at 6 weeks' notice. Needless to say, it is a challenge, but I have been really focussed and 'smart' with the work that I have done.

My structure goes like this:

Intro - 200 words introducing tectonics, then a paragraph outlining the report itself.

Methodology - 5 case studies (3 volcano types, 2 eg's of seismic activity), each CS to include description, key terms, examples of, diagrams, and theories/theorists where possible

Analysis - review of each of these five CS's in turn. And a gradual compare and contrast of their effects on landscape (THIS SECTION IS WHERE I FEEL I'LL DROP A FEW POINTS)

Conclusion - stating factually the effects of volcanic and seismic activity, perhaps a judgement of most effective, then mention of other contributors to landscape.

Hope this helps!

B
Original post by student 84
Hi guys, has anyone referred to the Collards model? if so how and where did you include it??

What is the Collards model?
Reply 90
Original post by pbjane

Thank god haha, anyone else stressing????😩😩
What do you compare in your sub conclusions ?
Everyone seems to be doing different? We've been told to do it by intrusive features, extrusive features and then seismic features and incorporate case studies? After doing 2 mocks and getting A* on both, this should be an effect methods to do??

I feel like a lot of people are over complicating this.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Lauraaa898
Everyone seems to be doing different? We've been told to do it by intrusive features, extrusive features and then seismic features and incorporate case studies? After doing 2 mocks and getting A* on both, this should be an effect methods to do??

agreed. intrusive/extrusive case studies are obvious choices because they are so easily compared!

I'm writing mine like that it seems so much easier!
Original post by bjww1987
agreed. intrusive/extrusive case studies are obvious choices because they are so easily compared!

Exactly! And whilst you're discussing the intrusive feature with the case study you can draw in other features that are at the location. In your conclusion this is where you can draw out the importance. And if you focus too much on the case study you start to not talk about the landscape features that are produced and HOW they're produced which is the explore section of this exam!!
I'm writing mine like that it seems so much easier!

It is! You're focusing on both how the feature is formed and how distinct it is in forming in the landscape. Like how long the fault is or how big the batholith is. I can't seem to get my head around doing it by location as you're less likely to focus on how the landscape is formed and only the impacts
It is! You're focusing on both how the feature is formed and how distinct it is in forming in the landscape. Like how long the fault is or how big the batholith is. I can't seem to get my head around doing it by location as you're less likely to focus on how the landscape is formed and only the impacts

I totally agree and I don't like how people are doing it by Macro, meso and micro scales it just makes the report confusing to me
I totally agree and I don't like how people are doing it by Macro, meso and micro scales it just makes the report confusing to me

Personally I'd write that in my conclusion as you can easy compare then which ones are larger therefore a bigger impact. To be honest, I just find doing it by feature a lot easier, but I think that's because I do geology so I can remember it easier that way haha! But yeah, it's confusing me why people are over complicating such a straightforward essay
Reply 99
For my section on intrusive features I am using the case studies of Dartmoor (Batholith) and Isle of Arran (sills and dykes) but still a bit confused about how these form, where does the magma come from as no plate boundary is located there right?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending