Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does owning less stuff= less stress? Watch

• View Poll Results: Less stuff= less stress?
    Agree
    55.56%
    Disagree
    34.44%
    Not sure
    10.00%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    Interested to see what peoples opinions are. I've been finding getting rid of stuff the past few weeks to be quite therapeutic and hopefully will mean less cleaning eventually.
    I 100% agree with this. I'll probably never reach this 'goal' but my ideal life would be owning just enough possessions to pack up and leave whenever I wanted to. I love the idea of being minimalistic and I hope to get rid of many things I no longer need within the next few years.

The whole minimalistic idea appeals to me a lot. Some stuff I struggle with, especially clothes, as I like wearing nice clothes and have a wide range of clothes. I also have way too many books all of which can be easily sold.

It doesn't mean I'm not sentimental though. It's good to be sentimental about some things and have a 'memory box' but it should be meaningful so it's not good to fill it with every single thing that makes you nostalgic. Some things are nice though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jenigma)
    I 100% agree with this. I'll probably never reach this 'goal' but my ideal life would be owning just enough possessions to pack up and leave whenever I wanted to. I love the idea of being minimalistic and I hope to get rid of many things I no longer need within the next few years.

The whole minimalistic idea appeals to me a lot. Some stuff I struggle with, especially clothes, as I like wearing nice clothes and have a wide range of clothes. I also have way too many books all of which can be easily sold.

It doesn't mean I'm not sentimental though. It's good to be sentimental about some things and have a 'memory box' but it should be meaningful so it's not good to fill it with every single thing that makes you nostalgic. Some things are nice though
    Yes, exactly! I want to be able to fit most of my stuff into one or two suitcases (homegoods like pots/pans/bedding excluded). It gives you mobility and freedom. If someone told me I had to move tomorrow, I would want to grab the stuff I care about and know exactly where it is and know that I've got everything I need.

Minimalism is so attractive just because it gives you more open space and light. Who doesn't want that? I mean, I love the idea of living in a cute house in the countryside where the stuff makes it cozy, but I would make that "stuff" blankets and books, not random crap.

I take pictures of stuff that I need to get rid of but feel sentimental about. Maybe that'll help
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Owning things has never really stressed me out - I don't really tidy up or anything so what's the problem?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers

My memory box is a plastic wallet but my boyfriends is two tubs full so we ve not really struck a balance there.

ReputationRep:
    Yes and no. Yes, because it frees you from modern day consumerism, materialism, and capitalistic ideas. No, because retail therapy.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by fire_and_ice)
    Yes and no. Yes, because it frees you from modern day consumerism, materialism, and capitalistic ideas. No, because retail therapy.
    That's what window shopping is for

ReputationRep:
    Every time I've tried doing this the accumulation of stuff just seems to start over again. Whenever I've moved house I seem to just continue filling all the newly available space :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sjohnson98)
    Yes, exactly! I want to be able to fit most of my stuff into one or two suitcases (homegoods like pots/pans/bedding excluded). It gives you mobility and freedom. If someone told me I had to move tomorrow, I would want to grab the stuff I care about and know exactly where it is and know that I've got everything I need.

Minimalism is so attractive just because it gives you more open space and light. Who doesn't want that? I mean, I love the idea of living in a cute house in the countryside where the stuff makes it cozy, but I would make that "stuff" blankets and books, not random crap.

I take pictures of stuff that I need to get rid of but feel sentimental about. Maybe that'll help
    Yes yes yes! I just think there are more important things to be holding on to (as cliche, nauseous as it sounds) like memories. Sure if the memory is an item from your favourite trip, then that's fine but you don't necessarily need the whole visitor guide, the lipstick you wore when you were first kissed etc.

I remember when we last did a massive moving of houses I gave much of my toys away to the children of the people helping us move who weren't well off. I felt so good doing that and seeing the smile on their faces and I really want to do something like that again! (Bear in mind I was their age or a year older). I didn't have a phone at that age so I just settled with drawing pictures of all my toys really quickly :lol:

My memory box is a plastic wallet but my boyfriends is two tubs full so we ve not really struck a balance there.
    I have a shoebox full... it's filling up quick! :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Yes yes yes! I just think there are more important things to be holding on to (as cliche, nauseous as it sounds) like memories. Sure if the memory is an item from your favourite trip, then that's fine but you don't necessarily need the whole visitor guide, the lipstick you wore when you were first kissed etc.
    Oh, the moment I gave away the clothes I was wearing the first time I was asked out, I felt SO much better. I think that especially when we're younger, we hang onto every memento of a relationship. But when we're younger, we shouldn't do that because the relationships are so much less likely to last!

Of course, saving old papers you won't need again lets you have a bonfire, and that's quite rewarding

ReputationRep:
    Oh, the moment I gave away the clothes I was wearing the first time I was asked out, I felt SO much better. I think that especially when we're younger, we hang onto every memento of a relationship. But when we're younger, we shouldn't do that because the relationships are so much less likely to last!

Of course, saving old papers you won't need again lets you have a bonfire, and that's quite rewarding
    Haha no way, you saved those clothes?! (':
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    I have a shoebox full... it's filling up quick! :lol:
    Keep it organised otherwise you ll end up with two big tubs full:P

ReputationRep:
    Keep it organised otherwise you ll end up with two big tubs full:P
    I better start selecting just a few special memories to keep!
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    I better start selecting just a few special memories to keep!
    Yes you should, or you'll end up with 4 bar blades like my boyfriend does :P

ReputationRep:
    Yes you should, or you'll end up with 4 bar blades like my boyfriend does :P
    What's a bar blade?!
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    What's a bar blade?!
    A fancy bottle opener, he worked in nightclubs for a couple of years

ReputationRep:
    Haha no way, you saved those clothes?! (':
    For a little while. Then they got lost somewhere in the back of my closet. Then I was nostalgic. They hung around for quite some time!!

ReputationRep:
    For a little while. Then they got lost somewhere in the back of my closet. Then I was nostalgic. They hung around for quite some time!!
    Haha I think I was in my school uniform.. :lol:

ReputationRep:
    A fancy bottle opener, he worked in nightclubs for a couple of years
    That sounds like collector's material I hope he doesn't see this, I'm giving him ideas :lol:
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    That sounds like collector's material I hope he doesn't see this, I'm giving him ideas :lol:
    I think bar blades are okay to keep as their at least have a use, and i find it sweet that he's kept the cinema ticket from the night he asked me out but then he also has a pile of payslips from all of his jobs which i cant understand why he keeps them.

ReputationRep:
    I think bar blades are okay to keep as their at least have a use, and i find it sweet that he's kept the cinema ticket from the night he asked me out but then he also has a pile of payslips from all of his jobs which i cant understand why he keeps them.
    We also save stuff like that :lol: Although payslips may be for bank reasons? I might be wrong

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.