Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is there any democratic, secular country with a Muslim majority? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    The phrase you are searching for is "absolute monarchy". You clearly do not understand what the word "autocratic" means. Wealth has nothing to do with the system of government. You only have to compare two democratic countries, India and the USA, to see that.

Okay I agree that they are a theocratic autocracy, but the people are still free to enjoy their lives. The government doesn't impose itself on the people the way countries like China, north korea and Cuba do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Cultural inferiority. Most of the Arab World was part of the Ottoman Empire before we arrived and clearly they don't hold values on the whole that are conducive to prosperity and democracy (any kind of liberty really). We were never really around long enough to impose our own values on them.
    The Ottomans had a liberal constitutional system with an elected representative parliament similar to (and indeed, based on) most European states by the late 19th century. The Ottoman leaders at the time have generally been regarded as considerably more politically liberal and progressive than say, the Russian Tsars.

Indonesia has been a democracy since 2002 and is generally secular on most islands. Their version of Islam is also not extreme since they were never part of the Ottoman Empire.
    Again, don't really see why the Ottomans should be blamed for this, particularly since the current prominence of extremist Islam only really dates back to the late 1970s, and the Arab world has had plenty of dictators who have been pretty secular - Nasser, Gaddafi, the Assads, and even Saddam Hussein initially.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Attempt)
    Okay I agree that they are a theocratic autocracy, but the people are still free to enjoy their lives. The government doesn't impose itself on the people the way countries like China, north korea and Cuba do.
    The constitution states that inheritance is always governed by sharia law. I'd call that an imposition by the government.

ReputationRep:
    Belgium ?

ReputationRep:
    It is illogical to assume governance that stems from an ideology, such as Islam, is compatible with an ever-changing, pluralist society.

ReputationRep:
    London

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    The constitution states that inheritance is always governed by sharia law. I'd call that an imposition by the government.
    Look up what Theocracy is.

ReputationRep:
    Lebanon,turkey,bosnia, albania, Bangladesh..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by darkvibes)
    There's not going to be a secular country that has a muslim majority you dim witted prick.
    Be nice.

Sent from my Bush Spira B2 5 Smartphone using Tapatalk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by darkvibes)
    hmm yeah i guess so but to call them secular is misleading, religion is still very prevalent within the country and their way of living is affected by religion. It's still a country dominated by faith and arguably a 'muslim country', even if their choice of abiding the religion is voluntary.
    I don't think calling them secular is misleading. Secularism is separation of church and state, it has nothing to do with how religious the populace are as a whole. America is a secular country after all even though something like 70% of people say they would never vote for a presidential candidate who wasn't Christian.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XcitingStuart)
    Be nice.

Sent from my Bush Spira B2 5 Smartphone using Tapatalk
    Darkvibes rarely posts anything in the nature of a reasonable discussion - just insults.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Attempt)
    Look up what Theocracy is.
    I know what it means. In Qatar's case it results in laws that are imposed autocratically on the people for religious reasons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aceadria)
    It is illogical to assume governance that stems from an ideology, such as Islam, is compatible with an ever-changing, pluralist society.
    this

Muslims frequently make the opposition between man-made law and God-given law:

what would happen, if a majority-Muslim State adopted parliamentary democracy ? what if the Parliament votes a man-made law which goes against God-given law contained in Quran and Sunnah ? how could legislation possibly depend from majority voting ? what if the majority is infected by "un-Islamic" ideas and principles ? how could this possibly be accepted ?

in Islam, principles are supposed to have been defined once and for all, in Quran and Sunnah ; practical implementation has developed through jurisprudence (fiqh) and interpretation (ijtihad) , but the scope for any further development is very limited : in any case, open only to learned Islamic scholars, not to the first best electoral/parliamentary majority

in fact, an interesting experiment in "Islamic democracy" is in Iran, where you have two parallel power structures, secular and religious, with some elements of parliamentary democracy being implemented: but, in case of divergence between the two structures, the final say is firmly in the hands of the Shia religious hierarchy, and in particular in the hands of the "Supreme leader "

this is called vilayat e-faqih (guardianship of the Islamic jurist) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guardi...Islamic_Jurist

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Betelgeuse-)
    Turkey a democratic country? ARE YOU SERIOUS? Erdogan has has placed Turkey at the top of most journalists jailed per year not to mention censoring the internet, twitter, youtube and so on
    True, and PSROM

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chemting)
    It's time we ask ourselves... do we really need Democracy in the Muslim world?
    If we stopped comparing ethnicity with religious creed, I would be so happy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LaMandarine)
    If we stopped comparing ethnicity with religious creed, I would be so happy.
    You completely missed the point of my post... :facepalm2:

But addressing your point, would you be happier if I said the Arab world? but that wouldn't apply as I have included Iran and Brunei...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chemting)
    You completely missed the point of my post... :facepalm2:

But addressing your point, would you be happier if I said the Arab world? but that wouldn't apply as I have included Iran and Brunei...
    Haha, to be frank, I thought I did xD

You're right about the latter as well, can't group them just in the Arab world alone. I guess your point qualifies, but I misinterpreted it, as you said. I thought you referred to them as being Muslim themselves, but upon re-reading I think I got it now. :giggle:

ReputationRep:
    Tunisia?

I believe they're the only ones who got a fully functioning democracy out of the Arab Spring.

ReputationRep:
    What about the Cormoros or Mauritania?

There are also the Maldives

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.