Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aceadria)
    You're repeating your previous statement. How is it different? Please, elaborate.
    Hate speech encompasses things such as racial propaganda. It incites racial hatred etc etc
    I've defined in previous posts. It essentially will have an adverse effect on others too.

Some would see it as an element of free speech, i see it as a restriction of free speech.
    (Original post by Aceadria)
    That's not the issue here. The point is that you're suggesting that limitations need to be placed on what can be said without suggesting how. Simply stating that 'the law will differentiate' without understanding the complexity of the judicial system just makes your premise fallacious.
    It's impossible to monitor what everyone is saying. But yes, the way we can differentiate it is if it incites hatred or false propaganda. I'm not going to let anyone spread radical ideas, preach hate or express anti semitic views and let them get away with it in the name of free speech. There should be limitations to free speech, such that hate speech shouldnt be prohibited. How will we go about doing that? The law is one way, take someone to court is certainly a plausible suggestion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by darkvibes)
    Hate speech encompasses things such as racial propaganda. It incites racial hatred etc etc
    I've defined in previous posts. It essentially will have an adverse effect on others too.
    How would you define racial propaganda? Where do you draw the line between what is 'offensive' and what isn't. Such concepts are relative and cannot have arbitrary limits.

Some would see it as an element of free speech, i see it as a restriction of free speech.
    My right to criticise someone, no matter how offensive one may think, is not a restriction of free speech. The fact that you're suggesting the other individual cannot reply is indeed a limit.

It's impossible to monitor what everyone is saying. But yes, the way we can differentiate it is if it incites hatred or false propaganda. I'm not going to let anyone spread radical ideas, preach hate or express anti semitic views and let them get away with it in the name of free speech.
    You sound awfully like an autocrat but I guess that's normal when someone suggests arbitrary 'limits'.

There should be limitations to free speech, such that hate speech shouldnt be prohibited. How will we go about doing that? The law is one way, take someone to court is certainly a plausible suggestion.
    Again, you're not recognising that the law is often interpreted and isn't necessarily applicable to every scenario. Individual bias is almost certainly going to form part of a verdict, making your logic fallacious.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with almost everything she says.

The almost is when she screwed up going on about kid's names. But she is right on immigration and she was proven right saying she wouldn't hire that fat lazy woman, who incidentally was arrested a few hours after the interview for pinching cakes from a bakery.

ReputationRep:
    Wasn't she rude about ed milibands wifes faith?

ReputationRep:
    The world doesn't need more cancer.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Grand High Witch)
    Do I disagree with her on most things? Yes. Do her opinions often make me gasp? Yes.

However, she is an antidote to the crack down on "offensive" opinions which has happened in recent times with safe spaces, restrictive laws, trial by media, faux-outrage, people who have made taking offence a full-time job, etc.

Those who want to silence her have tried it all - abusing her, shunning her and even reporting her to the police, yet she continues. I disagree with pretty much everything she comes out with yet I do admire her for not cowering down and still saying what she wants to say.

Do you agree or disagree?
    Yes there is a problem with political correctness and being obsessed with not offending people.

But no Katie Hopkins is not someone we should try and encourage people to be like.
    She's a dense, obnoxious, hypocritical woman who tries to get attention by insulting people.

If you want a role model of someone who stands up to PC and this obsessiveness over not offending people, look at Steve Hughes. He's a damn sight smarter.

ReputationRep:
    She hates Villa which is good
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Do I disagree with her on most things? Yes. Do her opinions often make me gasp? Yes.

However, she is an antidote to the crack down on "offensive" opinions which has happened in recent times with safe spaces, restrictive laws, trial by media, faux-outrage, people who have made taking offence a full-time job, etc.

Those who want to silence her have tried it all - abusing her, shunning her and even reporting her to the police, yet she continues. I disagree with pretty much everything she comes out with yet I do admire her for not cowering down and still saying what she wants to say.

I get your point but there is a limit to what you can say- she goes over that limit. She says things that she supposedly thinks are based on 'facts' but rather it's her own opinion. If she hates Muslims or anyone at all, she should keep it to herself.

Sometimes I think Hitler is considered normal compared to her.

ReputationRep:

Her toxic rhetoric consistently damages the emotional sentiments of the public.

Wanting more people like her would mean you want poorly informed opinions running rampant in our society.

I think i get what you are trying to convey but taking this women as an example may not be the wisest idea. Her demeanor outweighs any benefit she has to offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jebedee)
    I agree with almost everything she says.

The almost is when she screwed up going on about kid's names. But she is right on immigration and she was proven right saying she wouldn't hire that fat lazy woman, who incidentally was arrested a few hours after the interview for pinching cakes from a bakery.
    I'm worried about what kinda person you are then to agree with everything she has said.
    She said ed milibands wife should have been gassed or something and that young refugee who died and was washed at shore was 'staged'. She clearly says things for attention

ReputationRep:
    I'm just putting that fool in his place.
    All you've done is made a fool of yourself, I'm afraid.

ReputationRep:
    I think Katie Hopkins does a good job of exposing just how intolerant and fascistic a lot of people are in this country. Look at how many people go absolutely nuts and go into turbo hate mode when somebody has a different point of view to them. They just can't handle it. Bunch of precious safe space half wits up in here.

ReputationRep:
    She's highly overrated.

ReputationRep:
    I love how Trump thanked her for being a 'respectful columnist' after she agreed with him about some muslim issues. Not knowing that by her agreeing with him, makes even it worse.

He then goes onto say "The politicians of the U.K. should watch Katie Hopkins. Many people in the U.K agree with me."
    :facepalm::facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxvine)
    I'm worried about what kinda person you are then to agree with everything she has said.
    She said ed milibands wife should have been gassed or something and that young refugee who died and was washed at shore was 'staged'. She clearly says things for attention
    I don't know about the Ed Milliband comment but the young refugee picture could well have been staged. The father if born in a Western country would be imprisoned for negligence as his actions caused the boy to die. The refugees are full of these political actors using their kids as sympathy tools. I've seen beggars who have maimed their babies for the same reason whether it be cutting off a limb or carving an eyeball out. What makes you think these people are above that sort of behaviour?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.