Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexs2602)
    I think I need to take it for a proper ride. It seems better after regreasing but not sure it's completely fixed. It's one of those things where when it's going on it's unmistakable but you don't bother remembering it so after trying to fix it you can't tell if you've made a difference or not. It must at least be a little better otherwise I would have thought it would have been obvious. If it comes to it I'll get a new set, only £10 but shouldn't come to that.

Also, my bad, meant to post a link to these bearings on my pedals.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/n...t/rp-prod40145 Can the seal be removed from these?

Nice. Interesting. Yeah, I thought about getting some work fixing bikes but didn't think I had enough experience, for a LBS anyway.

Fair enough. Yeah, I've been thinking about a road bike and what it'd be like when I have two bikes. Only have the one right now but not sure I'd want to not be able to use my MTB on rougher terrain even if it wasn't to its full capacity. Still can't decide what to do about a road bike yet. Been thinking about disc brakes. I also cut through a country park which has a gravel path currently. I know there are gravel bikes but I guess I've got to think what I'm willing and not willing to do on a road bike and what I'm willing to refrain from.
    No idea about those bearings, but for the cost of a new seal, as the one in that will inevitably get damaged when you remove it may as well just get the new bearing kit.

No lbs will employ anyone as a mechanic/technician if they don't have retail experience already fixing bikes, you'll just end up as a sales rep who does basic fixes like punctures for a while, maybe indexing gears or the like, but in the real nitty gritty stripping a bike down and giving it a massive service, going into the BB etc will be done by someone they already employ, its just the way they do it, you have to work your way up from the bottom if you don't have actual previous experience of it in another shop. In 6 months-1 year I may be close to that level if I can stand the crap wages, but the big/tough repairs in our store are always going to be done by the mechanic who has been working there 7 years now.

ReputationRep:
    Ascension day is day off so wanted to do a tour, about 60km. Ended up over 90km, and I am shattered.

Some amazing scenery though:

Name:  IMG_7666.JPG
Views: 74
Size:  180.7 KB

ReputationRep:
    Any Londoners tried the cycle superhighways yet? Are they all segregated yet? Googled a bit. hard to be sure. I've seen some pictures of motorists driving on them which is just outrageous, same as normal cycle lanes, but I found a comment on wikipedia that seemed to suggest that some may have been segregated at a later date. Thinking of cycling into central London on one, by the looks of it I could get most of the way to the other side of London on them.

ReputationRep:
    Any Londoners tried the cycle superhighways yet? Are they all segregated yet? Googled a bit. hard to be sure. I've seen some pictures of motorists driving on them which is just outrageous, same as normal cycle lanes, but I found a comment on wikipedia that seemed to suggest that some may have been segregated at a later date. Thinking of cycling into central London on one, by the looks of it I could get most of the way to the other side of London on them.
    Woah really? That's pretty cool!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brainhuman)
    Woah really? That's pretty cool!
    I live right on the edge of London so it's 6 miles until I get to my nearest superhighway. I think it covers approximately zone 1 to 4 which I think is quite a lot. My uncle lives in SW London. If I follow Google maps it's about 22miles door to door. On superhighways I think once I get off the one near his it's a further 2 miles so nothing. It certainly could have a lot better coverage but for such a big city I think it's a pretty good start. It should let you get to most places safely. I'd have to use 2 or 3 superhighways to get to his and I'm not sure what gaps there are but judging by what I looked up it's probably not very much.

I need to try them out and for someone like me who is fairly confident in the "suburbs"/towns I do find the prospect of inner london roads daunting still so this is perfect for me really. I can get into central London quite easily it looks like. The routes mean once you get into [central] London you shouldn't need to use many normal roads. I'd likely find a spot near to where I'd want to go, lock up and then walk the rest. I don't know if you know London but most stuff is fairly densely packed together so walking the last few streets wouldn't really be an issue.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone here got hayfever? I can never remember what medication I use in the summer so there's always a trial period at the start when I woke out which one works best and until I feel comfortable outside I'm not sure I'll be cycling far. Not exactly nice to spend a long time with your eyes streaming, itching, sneezing etc.

ReputationRep:
    I live right on the edge of London so it's 6 miles until I get to my nearest superhighway. I think it covers approximately zone 1 to 4 which I think is quite a lot. My uncle lives in SW London. If I follow Google maps it's about 22miles door to door. On superhighways I think once I get off the one near his it's a further 2 miles so nothing. It certainly could have a lot better coverage but for such a big city I think it's a pretty good start. It should let you get to most places safely. I'd have to use 2 or 3 superhighways to get to his and I'm not sure what gaps there are but judging by what I looked up it's probably not very much.

I need to try them out and for someone like me who is fairly confident in the "suburbs"/towns I do find the prospect of inner london roads daunting still so this is perfect for me really. I can get into central London quite easily it looks like. The routes mean once you get into [central] London you shouldn't need to use many normal roads. I'd likely find a spot near to where I'd want to go, lock up and then walk the rest. I don't know if you know London but most stuff is fairly densely packed together so walking the last few streets wouldn't really be an issue.
    Ok wow. Looks like a lot has happened since I left.

Do you also cycle to uni/work?

ReputationRep:
    https://youtu.be/Lq5mlfKBqIY we've had a couple of people asking about drinking and eating while riding. Here's a video about it.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone here got hayfever? I can never remember what medication I use in the summer so there's always a trial period at the start when I woke out which one works best and until I feel comfortable outside I'm not sure I'll be cycling far. Not exactly nice to spend a long time with your eyes streaming, itching, sneezing etc.
    Yup. Although it's been a lot milder so far this year while I've been in Cambridge, rather than home in Devon, it still makes cycling a pain in the arse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Serentonin)
    Yup. Although it's been a lot milder so far this year while I've been in Cambridge, rather than home in Devon, it still makes cycling a pain in the arse.
    I'm just noticing the symptoms this last week. Sneezing but I've already started taking my medication before it becomes full blown so hopefully I won't have to suffer much. Until I'm sure it's OK I'm going to avoid long rides I think. Might talk to my doctor about it, see if they can do anything else. I should go for something else anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Serentonin)
    Hayfever was ok today but I can't tell if it's not quite hayfever season yet or my medication is working. Lol.

Today's ride home though. Mixed ride. Wasn't the longest but still more than a quick dash down the road. Made great time [for me] but it was mostly downhill. But also had two lorries pass really closely on a few occasions because I kept catching up with them. Then this woman that thought the world revolved around her as I came up to a zebra crossing leaning in to tell me, "stop, love" as I passed. All for the inconvenience of a second(literally). She barely had got to the crossing, it would have been a very hard brake and there were two cars behind me either way. Also, I had just got momentum again.

ReputationRep:
    https://youtu.be/Lq5mlfKBqIY we've had a couple of people asking about drinking and eating while riding. Here's a video about it.
    Very interesting. I definitely need to drink more.

And add salt to my water. The sports tablets I am using are great, used them with great results in insanity, except they contain no sodium. For whatever reason.

ReputationRep:
    Hayfever was ok today but I can't tell if it's not quite hayfever season yet or my medication is working. Lol.

Today's ride home though. Mixed ride. Wasn't the longest but still more than a quick dash down the road. Made great time [for me] but it was mostly downhill. But also had two lorries pass really closely on a few occasions because I kept catching up with them. Then this woman that thought the world revolved around her as I came up to a zebra crossing leaning in to tell me, "stop, love" as I passed. All for the inconvenience of a second(literally). She barely had got to the crossing, it would have been a very hard brake and there were two cars behind me either way. Also, I had just got momentum again.
    What do you mean leaning in as you came to a zebra crossing? She was beside you in a car or a pedestrian who saw you approach the crossing and while you were cycling past leaned in to you?

Haha sorry for the cross examination, it just sounded so weird!

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean leaning in as you came to a zebra crossing? She was beside you in a car or a pedestrian who saw you approach the crossing and while you were cycling past leaned in to you?

Haha sorry for the cross examination, it just sounded so weird!
    Yeah. The latter, pedestrian. She literally leaned towards me as I passed her. It was weird.

ReputationRep:
    Nearly finished applying helicopter tape for the first time to my bike. Next time I'me buying something with a simple frame design, or paying someone else to do it for me. Found a split in the inner gear cable today which is rather annoying given the lack of use its seen. Looking forward to giving its first proper run in once the tape is done. Have swapped the pedals and grips out too.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone have the garmin 1000? Is it good?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by exhaled page)
    Anyone have the garmin 1000? Is it good?
    Quite overpriced.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone have a Canyon bike?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone have a Canyon bike?
    I have a Canyon Grand Canyon CF SL.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roobsa)
    I have a Canyon Grand Canyon CF SL.
    Woah.

Nice.

I was thinking of getting the Endurance. I think I really ought to get a road bike now.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 8, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.