Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samb1234)
    tbf there was a mistake on a question. can't remember the exact details but they either added or omitted a milli prefix when they weren't supposed to so if you had plotted the graph they wanted would have just been a straight line lol rather than an exponential decay (was a capacitor question iirc)
    That might have messed a lot of people up without good exam technique

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student403)
    That might have messed a lot of people up without good exam technique
    They accepted both answers using kilo ohms and ohms anyway, but if it were in my own exam it would've messed up my mood badly lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C0balt)
    They accepted both answers using kilo ohms and ohms anyway, but if it were in my own exam it would've messed up my mood badly lol
    Exactly - there are many people who do exams a) without moving on from a question until they're finished it or b) who really get affected by mood and progress in an exam.

Obviously neither is ideal but it happens and it lets these people suffer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by notnek)
    Getting a good grade in maths requires understanding. Past papers often help improve grades but only for students who already have the understanding. 6/7 papers is fine for most students.

But getting 100 UMS is a completely different matter. For most students it requires a hell of a lot of practice. This includes doing as many papers as they can to get the edge on types of questions asked.

On TSR, getting 100 UMS isn't that uncommon but in reality it's a very rare event that is unheard of in most schools, even for C1. And the students who do get it have often done every past paper they can find.
    Great Advice!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serah.exe)
    Also, make sure to do the Solomon Bronze/Silver/Gold papers, especially Gold.
    The Gold papers etc aren't Solomon papers. They are papers put together by Graham from Edexcel using questions from past papers.

ReputationRep:
    You've done enough past papers/Solomon papers when you're consistently hitting the mark you desire.

Consistency isn't 5 or 6 in a row, it can just be 2 or 3.

I vary a lot but that's because I don't check my answers as I'm very impatient and so I start marking once I've attempted every question. Probably should start checking them...

And you should NEVER attempt another past paper until you've fixed your mistakes. As you're essentially annulling the time spent one that past paper if you don't work out where you went wrong and don't build up from it.

I like to think of that picture showing two graphs of success. One which is a straight line from the beginning and the other a scribble with a straight bit at the end. Doing past papers is the latter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student403)
    Exactly - there are many people who do exams a) without moving on from a question until they're finished it or b) who really get affected by mood and progress in an exam.

Obviously neither is ideal but it happens and it lets these people suffer
    If it didn't necessarily affect my grade in the end, I would've been devastated after the exam and the wait leading up to the results day... Like the unit 1 Physics and FP1 last year, I got what I wanted in the end but oh man the wait was not healthy :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C0balt)
    If it didn't necessarily affect my grade in the end, I would've been devastated after the exam and the wait leading up to the results day... Like the unit 1 Physics and FP1 last year, I got what I wanted in the end but oh man the wait was not healthy :lol:
    Yep I hate those :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NNB_Herath)
    I can get 110 out of 125 in C12....but i am trying to get 125/125 ....so need more practice....
    Also.. i do 11 units this MAY
    #FullUMSGoalz GL m9!

ReputationRep:
    I need a HELP for EDEXCEL BIOLOGY UNIT 3 IAL (any advice is welcome)
    Also, help needed in Physics IAL UNITS 1,2,3..................mainly bio help needed

ReputationRep:
    Smoke weed

ReputationRep:
    HELP !!

Edit : This was taken from C1 May 2013 (R)
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    HELP !!

Make a substitution to turn it into a quadratic

ReputationRep:
    Hi, does anyone know which other exam board's maths specification is most similar to AQAs? I'm doing C3/4/S2 at the moment and I thought that this might be a bit quicker than going through them all individually. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Make a substitution to turn it into a quadratic
    Can you show the method

ReputationRep:
    Can you show the method
    Not really no. Just use the substitution u=x^1/2 and then its just a normal quadratic in u, then once you have the solutions for u just equate them to root x

ReputationRep:
    Not really no. Just use the substitution u=x^1/2 and then its just a normal quadratic in u, then once you have the solutions for u just equate them to root x
    I don't understand you...
    So can you please Post a working
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    HELP !!

Please create a new thread if you have a maths question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by notnek)
    Please create a new thread if you have a maths question.
    This is a MATH thread right?

ReputationRep:
    From someone who got 100 UMS in C1 C2 S1 and FP1, as long as you've listened in your lessons, doing past papers should be enough to boss the exams. When you mark them, ensure you understand where and why you went wrong and do it again so you won't get it wrong in the future

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.