Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Be bold. Be brave enough to be your true self. Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FrenchUnicorn)
    Awww :/ :hugs: :hugs:

Omg I am sorry you could not get in medical school and of course you would not waste your life ! Do whatever you think makes you happy at the moment , and your life will never be a waste !!

My case is different I did one year of med in France , and I failed (the selection here occurs during the 1st year) but this is my dream ; I dropped out (instead of continue to do pharma/dentistery/physio/midwifery) and I applied abroad. I have an offer in New Zealand , but for 2018. My 1st choice is Charles uni in Prague (for next september) and I am currently working for the entrance examination.

I am sorry you could not get in really , was I failed I know the feeling :hugs:

You said you only like history as a hobby ; but you like it for a career choice right ? I hope you do !!
    I don't. That's the problem. I enjoy History as a subject, I enjoy listening to other people talk about History, but I don't want to become a Historian, neither a diplomat (as I have a joint honours degree, with International Relations). I don't believe I am designed to be one, and -as in your case- I knew I wanted to profess as a doctor for over 10 years. I pursued this dream, excelled in Biology both at school and at other competitions, but it was all in vain. My parents had the final say in my last two years in high school.

As I was doing my baccalaureate year (equivalent of your A level) I found myself clueless as to what to do with my life. I took Politics with IR initially, as I was told I have a good diplomatic flair, but despite having a curiosity in these disciplines, I simply do not want to profess in them. I genuinely believe I don't have the intellectual capacity and patience for either, despite some people (including professors) believing otherwise. And even if they're right, it's not my passion. I tried lying to my face that I want to do this in life, but I just know it's not the case, I feel it.

Anyway, in the second half of my term I switched Politics with History, as I thought that will make me enjoy my degree more. It made things worse, if in Politics I couldn't stand the ideologues, in History I can't stand the revisionists (essentially with their own ideology as well).

I've met acclaimed Historians, talked to them, admired them for their work, dedication and their passion for their disciplines, but I don't see myself in their position in the future.

The most painful thing is, I know how to get firsts in my degree. I know what to say, how to say it and to whom. I even anticipate the feedback that I get. I was just reading one on my way back from uni, and it was exactly as I pictured it. I'm essentially living a self-made dystopia .

(Original post by LaMandarine)
    I don't. That's the problem. I enjoy History as a subject, I enjoy listening to other people talk about History, but I don't want to become a Historian, neither a diplomat (as I have a joint honours degree, with International Relations). I don't believe I am designed to be one, and -as in your case- I knew I wanted to profess as a doctor for over 10 years. I pursued this dream, excelled in Biology both at school and at other competitions, but it was all in vain. My parents had the final say in my last two years in high school.

As I was doing my baccalaureate year (equivalent of your A level) I found myself clueless as to what to do with my life. I took Politics with IR initially, as I was told I have a good diplomatic flair, but despite having a curiosity in these disciplines, I simply do not want to profess in them. I genuinely believe I don't have the intellectual capacity and patience for either, despite some people (including professors) believing otherwise. And even if they're right, it's not my passion. I tried lying to my face that I want to do this in life, but I just know it's not the case, I feel it.

Anyway, in the second half of my term I switched Politics with History, as I thought that will make me enjoy my degree more. It made things worse, if in Politics I couldn't stand the ideologues, in History I can't stand the revisionists (essentially with their own ideology as well).

I've met acclaimed Historians, talked to them, admired them for their work, dedication and their passion for their disciplines, but I don't see myself in their position in the future.

The most painful thing is, I know how to get firsts in my degree. I know what to say, how to say it and to whom. I even anticipate the feedback that I get. I was just reading one on my way back from uni, and it was exactly as I pictured it. I'm essentially living a self-made dystopia .
    You know you are breaking my heart :cry2: :cry2: because I know how it feels , being a doctor is also my dream :cry2:

Have you seriously thought about going to med school anyway ? For example where I go it is much cheaper than UK (the school I applied to costs 12 000$ per year ) and I know you can find some med schools in countries like Croatie for 6000$ a year ! Have you thought about it ? I know it's not as easy as it sounds to change a country like that etc, but if you are ready to do it it could be a great experience :yep:

ReputationRep:
    You know you are breaking my heart :cry2: :cry2: because I know how it feels , being a doctor is also my dream :cry2:

Have you seriously thought about going to med school anyway ? For example where I go it is much cheaper than UK (the school I applied to costs 12 000$ per year ) and I know you can find some med schools in countries like Croatie for 6000$ a year ! Have you thought about it ? I know it's not as easy as it sounds to change a country like that etc, but if you are ready to do it it could be a great experience :yep:
    Given that I've already started my degree here, there's no turning back. Quitting would imply refunding my tuition so far, and that's impossible. This is just my life, I guess... that stage when you "have to grow up" (wooo). As long as I'll not allow myself to fall (thus fail) completely, I'll make something of it. But I am aware that the fact that I couldn't pursue medicine will eat me for the rest of my life.

My boyfriend, a promising Historian himself, told me I could study the History of Medicine. I took that as an insult...studying what others have done, when I could have done it myself. I'll probably graduate, carry on with my current teaching career on a larger scale, have a midlife crisis, earn enough to get a house and move on into living the rest of my petty life somewhere remote in the mountains, and fall mad and perish like Nietzsche. Won't even have his post-mortem prestige, that's for sure. I guess that's not much of a bad thing. He's probably turning into his grave with the so many so-called disciples of him now claiming to know what was behind his writing.

Given that I've already started my degree here, there's no turning back. Quitting would imply refunding my tuition so far, and that's impossible. This is just my life, I guess... that stage when you "have to grow up" (wooo). As long as I'll not allow myself to fall (thus fail) completely, I'll make something of it. But I am aware that the fact that I couldn't pursue medicine will eat me for the rest of my life.

My boyfriend, a promising Historian himself, told me I could study the History of Medicine. I took that as an insult...studying what others have done, when I could have done it myself. I'll probably graduate, carry on with my current teaching career on a larger scale, have a midlife crisis, earn enough to get a house and move on into living the rest of my petty life somewhere remote in the mountains, and fall mad and perish like Nietzsche. Won't even have his post-mortem prestige, that's for sure. I guess that's not much of a bad thing. He's probably turning into his grave with the so many so-called disciples of him now claiming to know what was behind his writing.
    I get your point :yep: and finishing your degree is a good decision, because you still worked for it !!

So you don't find History of Medicine interesting enough, or is it because of the memories it could bring ?

And you have my support :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    I get your point :yep: and finishing your degree is a good decision, because you still worked for it !!

So you don't find History of Medicine interesting enough, or is it because of the memories it could bring ?

And you have my support :hugs:
    Memories. Finishing my degree now is a certainty, whether I like it or not. Never mind my experience with medicine, it's a lost cause. You hold onto medicine with your teeth if this is your passion! (that's an idiom in Romanian for not giving up, don't know if it applies here as well :rofl:)

If I could turn back time, I would have left home, taken a gap year or two, worked somewhere to get myself into med school (with my marks I could have gotten a grant two years ago) and told my parents bye bye. Alas, I took this path, so now I'll finish it. I'm just not excited of what the future will bring me.

Memories. Finishing my degree now is a certainty, whether I like it or not. Never mind my experience with medicine, it's a lost cause. You hold onto medicine with your teeth if this is your passion! (that's an idiom in Romanian for not giving up, don't know if it applies here as well :rofl:)

If I could turn back time, I would have left home, taken a gap year or two, worked somewhere to get myself into med school (with my marks I could have gotten a grant two years ago) and told my parents bye bye. Alas, I took this path, so now I'll finish it. I'm just not excited of what the future will bring me.
    Yes I see what you mean. Don't worry about it , I'm pretty sure you'll finally like your career - if it is not love - and I wish you the best for the future !
    You might not being excited for the future, but maybe he'll be amazing ! You have no clue yet !

And unfortunately you can't turn back the time so I suppose you just have to move on, and honestly you are a brave person to keeping moving forward !

ReputationRep:
    Yes I see what you mean. Don't worry about it , I'm pretty sure you'll finally like your career - if it is not love - and I wish you the best for the future !
    You might not being excited for the future, but maybe he'll be amazing ! You have no clue yet !

And unfortunately you can't turn back the time so I suppose you just have to move on, and honestly you are a brave person to keeping moving forward !
    I'm not brave, I'm good at pretending to be. Self-defence mechanism from my childhood. If I showed everybody I my weaknesses, I would have been crushed a long time ago. If I had been fully aware of my own weaknesses, I would have crushed myself a long time ago.

In reality I'm incredibly scared. But I guess if there is a virtue that I have (if you can call it a virtue) is the stubbornness to not fail (or die haha), no matter what wave life brings me.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    In one instance, a wave (well- a current at sea) almost killed me. So that's more than just a metaphor to me.
    You've got a lovely personality from what I can read, I wish you all the best as well !

I'm not brave, I'm good at pretending to be. Self-defence mechanism from my childhood. If I showed everybody I my weaknesses, I would have been crushed a long time ago. If I had been fully aware of my own weaknesses, I would have crushed myself a long time ago.

In reality I'm incredibly scared. But I guess if there is a virtue that I have (if you can call it a virtue) is the stubbornness to not fail (or die haha), no matter what wave life brings me.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    In one instance, a wave (well- a current at sea) almost killed me. So that's more than just a metaphor to me.
    You've got a lovely personality from what I can read, I wish you all the best as well !
    My dear you are INCREDIBLY brave. Because bravery is not about not being afraid ! The fool fears nothing.
    But you, you're scared, and you pretend not to be - who can tell the difference ? - THIS is bravery. Bravery is about keeping moving forward, carrying on, and being scared at the same time. And you clearly do all of it, now I can say I admire you for that :girl: !

And thanks for the compliment :lovehug:

ReputationRep:
    That is not the best advice for someone wanting to get laid tho.

(Original post by Melancholy)
    That is not the best advice for someone wanting to get laid tho.
    You'll find the happiness you're looking for in the relationship forum :moon:

ReputationRep:
    You'll find the happiness you're looking for in the relationship forum :moon:
    I am not seeking that sort of stimulation. It does not drive me.

I am not seeking that sort of stimulation. It does not drive me.
    Your wish is my command monsieur :girl:
    Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    Your wish is my command monsieur :girl:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I am taken tho.

I am taken tho.
    Where's Perry ?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    where's your humour ?

ReputationRep:
    Where's Perry ?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    where's your humour ?
    Where's your Prophet?

ReputationRep:
    WoW So iNSPiRaTioNaL

Where's your Prophet?
    :rolleyes:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    :nyan:

ReputationRep:
    :rolleyes:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    :nyan:
    Are you religious?

Are you religious?
    Why that ?

ReputationRep:
    Why that ?
    Making conversation.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.