Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Unown Uzer)
    Well, it's not against TSR MHoC rules to do what TDA did. If you submit an amendment to make all MPs take the oath of allegiance or make a solemn affirmation before they are allowed to take their seats, then TDA would have to do it properly or not take his seat.
    Too many republicans for that
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by EricAteYou)
    I EricAteYou do solemnly, sincerely, and truly declare and affirm, that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth, her heirs and successors, according to law.

Seem's like I'm nearly the only one in my party who's not a republican....
    :hide:
    A snippet from the Labour Party Constitution

(Original post by Constitution of the TSR Labour Party)
    IX. The Labour Party shall be a republican party, which believes that the sovereignty of our nation should be in the hands of the people and exercised by elected representatives.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Too many republicans for that
    I would support an amendment to require an oath, just it would have to include an alternative to the oath to the Queen.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    I would support an amendment to require an oath, just it would have to include an alternative to the oath to the Queen.
    Then you do not support an oath
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    Then you do not support an oath
    The definition of 'oath' is not 'an oath of loyalty to the monarch' . :rolleyes:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    The definition of 'oath' is not 'an oath of loyalty to the monarch' . :rolleyes:
    Remind me what sort of government we have...Con-const-constituuuttuuu-contitutional mona- and then you pass out because you can't say monarchy.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    Remind me what sort of government we have...Con-const-constituuuttuuu-contitutional mona- and then you pass out because you can't say monarchy.
    I didn't realise the definitions of English words changed according to what system of government we have.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    A snippet from the Labour Party Constitution
    Time to form Lefties for her mag party.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I didn't realise the definitions of English words changed according to what system of government we have.
    Not quite sure what you intend to do if not declare fealty to the state.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    Declare fealty to the people who pay for the state.

ReputationRep:
    ...you mean constitutional monarchy plus figurehead?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    Please have respect and courtesy when hearing the Queen's Speech.
    Queen's Speech 4, ya know.

ReputationRep:
    As far as I'm aware, nobody needs to swear allegiance to the Queen, as they can read any oath.

That might just be the RL House, though.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    As always, no oath from me, ta.

ReputationRep:
    I do solemnly, sincerely, and truly declare and affirm, that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Queen of Pop Madonna and probably Elizabeth. So help me Beyoncé.

ReputationRep:
    I, banterboy, swear by Almighty God that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth, her heirs and successors, according to law. So help me God.

ReputationRep:
    I think as I am not a new member of the House I do not need to swear an oath again.

Shouldn't we be debating the coalition's programme? Can they tell us what it is?
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    I think as I am not a new member of the House I do not need to swear an oath again.

Shouldn't we be debating the coalition's programme? Can they tell us what it is?
    I'll discuss with my Government colleagues about releasing our plans in the near future

ReputationRep:
    I, tommy1boy, do swear that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth, her heirs and successors, according to law. So help me God

ReputationRep:
    I, Helfus MP, do swear that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth, her heirs and successors, according to law. So help me God.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 28, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.