Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redcoats)
    Solve the simultaneous equations
     y=2x+1
     y=x^3 +3x^2+5x+2 .
    Hence find the geometric relationship between the line  L with equation  y=2x+1 and the curve  C with equation  y=x^3+3x^2+5x+2 .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ano123)
    Solve the simultaneous equations
     y=2x+1
     y=x^3 +3x^2+5x+2 .
    Hence find the geometric relationship between the line  L with equation  y=2x+1 and the curve  C with equation  y=x^3+3x^2+5x+2 .
    2x+1 = x3 + 3x2 + 5x + 2

Therefore x3+ 3x2 + 3x + 1 = 0

Therefore (x+1)(x+1)(x+1) = 0

Therefore x = -1 and y= -1

Geometric relationship:

f '(x) = 3x2 + 6x + 5

Gradient at the point x = -1 is 2

The tangent is: y - (-1) = 2 (x - (-1))

Which gives y = 2x+1 = Line L

Thus the geometric relationship is that the line L is a tangent to the curve C at the point (-1,-1)

ReputationRep:
    May seem like a stupid question but is cos^2 theta/cos^2 theta just one?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by BobbiBlue)
    May seem like a stupid question but is cos^2 theta/cos^2 theta just one?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone. I want to ask for those who are achieving grade A or above in further maths, would two days of constant work be effective in moving my grade up from C/B to A?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by icy_typhoon)
    hi! I'm doing further maths but I lowkey wish I wasn't rn because both of my exams clash with ocr science ones (further bio and further physics)
    I'm good at maths and I'm taking it for A level but I do find some stuff in further quite difficult...I struggle to apply things to questions.
    Good thing you can get an A with like 50%
    Same here with the OCR clashes, although I'm glad we do FM as I've really enjoyed the content and feel like it's left me pretty prepared for A Level (well the first term at least lmao)
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Wolfram Alpha)
    Hello everyone. I want to ask for those who are achieving grade A or above in further maths, would two days of constant work be effective in moving my grade up from C/B to A?
    Probably, grade boundaries are rock bottom so you'd just need to learn a few topics you didn't understand before and you'll be good to go

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know what the grade boundaries are, specifically for an A and A* on paper 1 and overall because on the AQA grade boundaries for the previous years it doesn't have the grade boundaries for the A* distinction, so I'm wondering if the A* coordinates with an A* distinction and an A coordinates with an A* etc? Hopefully this makes sense!

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any predicted topics for the exam?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by siobhanx13)
    Does anyone know what the grade boundaries are, specifically for an A and A* on paper 1 and overall because on the AQA grade boundaries for the previous years it doesn't have the grade boundaries for the A* distinction, so I'm wondering if the A* coordinates with an A* distinction and an A coordinates with an A* etc? Hopefully this makes sense!
    http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/over/sta...-JUNE-2015.PDF

If you use 111/175 as the A* and just calculate what you'd need on each paper, so it would work out to 44.4/70 on Paper 1, and 66.6/105 on paper 2.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Ishan_2000)
    http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/over/sta...-JUNE-2015.PDF

If you use 111/175 as the A* and just calculate what you'd need on each paper, so it would work out to 44.4/70 on Paper 1, and 66.6/105 on paper 2.
    That was for a paper deemed very hard by those who sat it.
    Take an average from last year's and 2014's (an easy paper), to find a good guess for grade boundaries for an average-difficulty paper

ReputationRep:
    Both http://www.drfrostmaths.com/resource...CSEFM&term=All and http://www.mrbartonmaths.com/gcsefm.htm are useful fm websites. Good luck everybody for tomorrow. Hoping to get an A, but very nervous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NiamhM1801)
    Take an average from last year's and 2014's (an easy paper), to find a good guess for grade boundaries for an average-difficulty paper
    Yes, it was harder than average, as we took that for our maths mock in December! Thanks though, now I know that the grade boundaries will be kind.

ReputationRep:
    If anyone is struggling revising AQA Further Maths GCSE, go on YouTube, and watch RawMaths' videos on the course - they are very helpful
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Is everyone ready for tomorrow? I'm kinda excited not gonna lie...
    Anyone else going for that A^?

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand increasing and decreasing functions... what is it?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Ishan_2000)
    Yes, it was harder than average, as we took that for our maths mock in December! Thanks though, now I know that the grade boundaries will be kind.
    Ah we did it as Easter holiday homework - I didn't like paper 1 that much (62/70) but paper 2 was honestly the best one I've ever sat!! (102/105!!)
    It was hard but an amazing challenge, I adapted to it better than any other paper.
    Good luck for tomorrow - hope you smash it
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Jakir)
    I don't understand increasing and decreasing functions... what is it?
    Increasing function = when the gradient of the graph is positive (ie going up)
    Decreasing function = when the gradient of the graph is negative (ie going down)

ReputationRep:
    But in the revision guide there is something about f(a) > f(b) - what does this mean

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NiamhM1801)
    Thank you so much, I was looking on the normal GCSE boundaries, not the IGCSE ones! Good luck for tomorrow and anymore exams you have!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.