Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malamo999)
    Because it's an SSD. This means you get less storage than other laptops, but the memory you do get is 10x as fast. If that's an issue for you, you could either consider cloud storage, buy the laptop and replace the SSD (or DVD drive even) with a traditional 1TB internal hard drive (£35 on Amazon) or look for another laptop. Let me know what you think?
    Yes, that looks perfect. Go for it.
    hmm.... it's a battle between slightly better processing power or more storage space.... not sure, honestly they're both the same price and i'd like them both.... but i wish the faster processing one had more space...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefatone)
    i wish the faster processing one had more space...
    Think of it like this. The cheaper laptop is only 10% faster, but has 4x less storage space. I know what the better deal is.

ReputationRep:
    Think of it like this. The cheaper laptop is only 10% faster, but has 4x less storage space. I know what the better deal is.
    Ah i see thank you

ReputationRep:
    Okay, well you can either look for a different laptop of better overall calibre, of consider upgrading some of the components? It really comes down to where your priorities are. Do you want a faster overall experience? Maybe consider getting a laptop with a better processor (though, to be honest, an SSD will make the biggest real-world difference by far). Want to run more websites/programs/games at once? Consider buying a laptop with more RAM (or replacing what's already in there at ~£15 for 8GB). Want to run games better? Consider buying a laptop with a dedicated graphics card (any one will do). Want a better screen? Look for something with a 1080p display. Though, to be honest, that laptop should be "good enough" and is fantastic value as it is. If you're after something better, let me know where your priorities lie, but you'll be challenged to find something better for the money. What do you think?
    Thanks for such a detailed response. Unfortunately I'm pretty tired now so can't give you the answers to your follow up questions.
    What I can think of atm: I have a few external HDDs so the reduction in space from an SSD isn't a problem. More speed sounds good.
    As far as replacing bits is concerned, I have no problem with that but wouldn't it void the year's warranty?

You've been very helpful though, thank you. I will pick this up again tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    Okay guys, I've found the perfect laptop for you both. Here's the link to Tesco and here's the same laptop £15 cheaper if you don't mind shopping elsewhere. It's got the same processor as that £540 laptop linked to earlier in this thread. Yeah, it's that good. :P

Hope that helps. Any questions, just ask.
    Just to point out, the £540 one linked earlier had dedicated graphics, this doesn't, and hence the price difference

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheThiefOfBagdad)
    As far as replacing bits is concerned, I have no problem with that but wouldn't it void the year's warranty?
    That's okay. But no, it won't. To be honest, I think you should just get the laptop I linked you to, because it will be more than good enough - and you'll have lots left over to spend afterwards. Edit: Having said that, if you really are after a slightly better machine of overall spec, tell me your budget and I'll find something for you.

(Original post by samb1234)
    Just to point out, the £540 one linked earlier had dedicated graphics, this doesn't, and hence the price difference
    Oh, that's fair enough. But, to be honest, I don't think it was very good value - the HD Graphics 520 included with that processor is probably faster than the 920M. :/

ReputationRep:
    That's okay. But no, it won't. To be honest, I think you should just get the laptop I linked you to, because it will be more than good enough - and you'll have lots left over to spend afterwards.

Oh, that's fair enough. But, to be honest, I don't think it was very good value - the HD Graphics 520 included with that processor is probably faster than the 920M. :/
    I doubt it given that a 920m has proper vram. However I see your point that unless you go up to probably a 940m or above you aren't going to have a great experience gaming anyway so not that much point paying a premium

ReputationRep:
    macbook pro

(Original post by thefatone)
    Any laptop from tesco, can anyone suggest a good quick one to use?
    I have no idea about laptop specs and stuff, any suggestions welcome
    Also avoid PC world. Its not so much that the products are bad, but the staff are very sales orientated and will try to sell you stuff regardless of whether its appropriate. Plus they will charge you extra for a proper word processor. Plus PC Worlds computers are usually come crammed with garbage software and in one case, with malware and I needed to take a brand new laptop back for a reformat. I couldnt do this myself because I needed a clean PC to even make a recovery disk to do so.
    Better off going to a small independent store but dont get fobbed off with paying xx amount per year for a word processor or anti spyware etc, you can get decent ones free which are adequate for home use.

ReputationRep:
    That's okay. But no, it won't. To be honest, I think you should just get the laptop I linked you to, because it will be more than good enough - and you'll have lots left over to spend afterwards. Edit: Having said that, if you really are after a slightly better machine of overall spec, tell me your budget and I'll find something for you.
    Budget is £400. If you have both the time and inclination I'd be grateful for some recommendations. As it is, I'm seriously considering getting the one you have already linked and beefing up the RAM myself; how hard is it to do that?

ReputationRep:
    I have a lenovo ultrabook... U41-70... Brought it back in India... It's a good laptop with a decent spec... Good for casual gaming as well... It comes with a SSD, 4/8 gb ram... nvidia 920M graphics card... Full HD screen... but the variant I have doesn't have a dvd drive... It came with Windows 8 but was upgraded to Windows 10 automatically...

Edit: Processor is Intel Core i5...

ReputationRep:
    You can check out this as well...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenovo-Idea...=lenovo+laptop

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laomedeia)
    Also avoid PC world. Its not so much that the products are bad, but the staff are very sales orientated and will try to sell you stuff regardless of whether its appropriate. Plus they will charge you extra for a proper word processor. Plus PC Worlds computers are usually come crammed with garbage software and in one case, with malware and I needed to take a brand new laptop back for a reformat. I couldnt do this myself because I needed a clean PC to even make a recovery disk to do so.
    Better off going to a small independent store but dont get fobbed off with paying xx amount per year for a word processor or anti spyware etc, you can get decent ones free which are adequate for home use.
    ok thanks for the info

ReputationRep:
    Budget is £400. If you have both the time and inclination I'd be grateful for some recommendations.As it is, I'm seriously considering getting the one you have already linked and beefing up the RAM myself; how hard is it to do that?
    Quick note, just noticed one caveat: all the laptop I've linked to will only manage 3-4 hours per charge, which is a slightly disadvantage. Sorry OP - will search for something else if your budget can stretch to it, but unfortunately that's typical of laptops in this budget range.

As for recommendations: this laptop looks pretty good (with all the RAM you'd ever need), and then you could add this SSD? It's a bit over your budget, but is great value. (I'm not sponsored by Box or anything, they just seem to have good prices. XD)

Replacing the RAM is a piece of cake. Buy one (or two) of these modules, use a screwdriver to open the chassis cover, take out the existing module(s), put the new ones in, screw the lid on again and boot - basically, the exact process in reverse. Though one word of warning: remove the battery before you even think about opening the laptop, and hold the power button down for 10 seconds after you've taken it out just to discharge any remaining power still in the components. Any questions, just ask, as usual - including when replacing hardware yourself.

ReputationRep:
    Okay guys, I've found the perfect laptop for you both. Here's the link to Tesco and here's the same laptop £15 cheaper if you don't mind shopping elsewhere. It's got the same processor as that £540 laptop linked to earlier in this thread. Yeah, it's that good. :P

Hope that helps. Any questions, just ask.
    Thank you, that's very kind of you.

I'm willing to spend around £400. What would be the best aspect of the above laptop to 'beef up'?
    You're really going to struggle playing Total War Shogun 2 on integrated graphics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HucktheForde)
    I am sitting in the restaurant waiting for my food while surfing tsr on mobile. So what do u want to know about lappies? I will try to help. What do you want to do with ur laptop? Web surfing, word processing, programming, multimedia graphics, gaming?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You seem to know quite a bit
    What would you recommend for a Comp Sci student? Starting in Sep.
    I use photoshop etc too (a-level graphics) though I wont use it as much at uni, every now and then

For gaming I have my desktop so no need to factor that in. But i'll be using the laptop primarily when im not home, so at lectures etc. Ill be attending hackathons and stuff too so ill be using my laptop for that. Everywhere I look people recommend MacBook Pro but idk if i'm ready to splash 1k on that, though I am financially able to purchase it so money isn't much of a problem. Plus having OSX could benefit me as my desktop is dual boot Windows-Ubuntu. I would like to do some iOS app development etc so I don't know what to do :rofl:

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edothero)
    You seem to know quite a bit
    What would you recommend for a Comp Sci student? Starting in Sep.
    I use photoshop etc too (a-level graphics) though I wont use it as much at uni, every now and then

For gaming I have my desktop so no need to factor that in. But i'll be using the laptop primarily when im not home, so at lectures etc. Ill be attending hackathons and stuff too so ill be using my laptop for that. Everywhere I look people recommend MacBook Pro but idk if i'm ready to splash 1k on that, though I am financially able to purchase it so money isn't much of a problem. Plus having OSX could benefit me as my desktop is dual boot Windows-Ubuntu. I would like to do some iOS app development etc so I don't know what to do :rofl:

Thanks
    nah i am not, i am also looking to buy a new pc so i did a lot of research myself.

If you are intending to do iOS app development i think you must use Mac OS X. In another words you must use macbook. Unless u use hackintosh?

hacking wise i dont know anything but i imagine if you are trying to brute force surely you need a huge amount of RAM? I think most hackers have the best laptop out there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morgan8002)
    You're really going to struggle playing Total War Shogun 2 on integrated graphics.
    And if a £520 laptop only has a 920M, that would be even worse. You'd be surprised how well modern HD Graphics copes, and how games can be customised to run on different hardware.

(Original post by edothero)
    What would you recommend for a Comp Sci student?
    HtF's right, but to add to that: Honestly, a laptop like this or even like this would be fine for you, and MacBooks are completely overkill for what you want to do - especially since you don't seem to be tied down to the Apple ecosystem at the moment with a Windows-Linux dual-boot system. Honestly, you should save that £700 and spent it on upgrades for your desktop or something - with laptops, anything more just buys you luxuries (incremental and honestly hardly noticeable speed improvements). I'm not trying to sell you something cheap just for the sake of it, so hear me out - I just think Macs are a bit unnecessary, and that there are far better things you could be spending so much of that money on. Don't you agree?

ReputationRep:
    Quick note, just noticed one caveat: all the laptop I've linked to will only manage 3-4 hours per charge, which is a slightly disadvantage. Sorry OP - will search for something else if your budget can stretch to it, but unfortunately that's typical of laptops in this budget range.

As for recommendations: this laptop looks pretty good (with all the RAM you'd ever need), and then you could add this SSD? It's a bit over your budget, but is great value. (I'm not sponsored by Box or anything, they just seem to have good prices. XD)

Replacing the RAM is a piece of cake. Buy one (or two) of these modules, use a screwdriver to open the chassis cover, take out the existing module(s), put the new ones in, screw the lid on again and boot - basically, the exact process in reverse. Though one word of warning: remove the battery before you even think about opening the laptop, and hold the power button down for 10 seconds after you've taken it out just to discharge any remaining power still in the components. Any questions, just ask, as usual - including when replacing hardware yourself.
    The 3-4 hour battery life isn't really an issue for me; my current laptop holds a charge for about 15 minutes and has done for a long time. I'm used to it now so 3+ hours would be mind-blowing for me.

Forgive me if this seems a bit dim but what is the extra £70 for between the two HPs you have recommended?

HP 250 G4
    • Intel Core i5-6200U Dual Core Processor
    • 4GB DDR3 RAM
    • 128GB SSD
    • USB3 | HDMI | Bluetooth
    • Firmware TPM
    • T6P47EA#ABU
    HP ProBook 450 G2
    • Intel Core i5-5200U Dual Core Processor
    • 12GB DDR3 RAM
    • 500GB HDD
    Just seems to be the bigger RAM (which I could upgrade myself) and larger but slower memory. What is the difference between i5-6200U and i5-5200U?

Also, you say I could 'add' the SSD to the more expensive computer, again, perhaps a silly question, but where's the space for it? Would I not have to remove the HDD anyway to fit it in? Similarly, if I was to upgrade the RAM on the cheaper laptop myself, you say I can fit two pieces of hardware in. They'd both fit, yeah?

(Original post by morgan8002)
    Games were just an afterthought, so this isn't really an issue. Thanks for your input, nonetheless.

ReputationRep:
    And if a £520 laptop only has a 920M, that would be even worse. You'd be surprised how well modern HD Graphics copes, and how games can be customised to run on different hardware.
    Compared to the other one, the price difference seems a lot more than you'd pay for the card. You're not going to get a (premade) laptop with a half decent GPU for less than £500 though.
    HD Graphics won't cut it at all. You can't customise most games below the minimum settings.

Games were just an afterthought, so this isn't really an issue. Thanks for your input, nonetheless.
    Ah okay. Thanks for clarifying.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.