The Student Room Group

Private tutor wants me to pay up even though I did not attend

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Why would anyone want to pay £70 for something they did not partake in? He is getting paid for doing nothing at all.

I've only wasted one hour of his time, I'll pay for the one hour I've wasted-£35.

My former driving instructor informed me (not sure if this is correct) he has to have a cancellation policy and required to communicate that policy to me by law. And yes he cannot say I owe him if I have not agreed with a cancellation policy (which their isn't).

He can say that because it is accurate to say that. You have absolutely no clue what you are talking about, which, frankly, given what else we know about your behaviour, doesn't surprise me.

You wasted two hours of his time because you were too lazy and incompetent to do what you said you would do. He made himself available and was ready to tutor you. He did not breach his obligations. You did, and as such you are legally obligated to put him in the position in which he would have been if you had shown up. Your text mid-way through the session is completely irrelevant, since he obviously couldn't make an alternative booking.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
He can say that because it is accurate to say that. You have absolutely no clue what you are talking about, which, frankly, given what else we know about your behaviour, doesn't surprise me.

You wasted two hours of his time because you were too lazy and incompetent to do what you said you would do. He made himself available and was ready to tutor you. He did not breach his obligations. You did, and as such you are legally obligated to put him in the position in which he would have been if you had shown up. Your text mid-way through the session is completely irrelevant, since he obviously couldn't make an alternative booking.

Honestly there is no point trying to explain it to him.

Numerous people have explained that too him, he has either ignored it, still somehow is usable to understand it. Or as I suspect an incredibly self centred, selfish and inconsiderate person who of course can never do any wrong and as such accepts no consequences for their actions.
Why would anyone want to pay £70 for something they did not partake in? He is getting paid for doing nothing at all.

I've only wasted one hour of his time, I'll pay for the one hour I've wasted-£35.

You've wasted two hours of his time: because you were booked in for those two hours, he was unable to book anyone else in there, so you've lost him £70 in earnings.

My former driving instructor informed me (not sure if this is correct) he has to have a cancellation policy and required to communicate that policy to me by law. And yes he cannot say I owe him if I have not agreed with a cancellation policy (which their isn't).

False: A contract is formed as soon as you both agree on terms (that is: one of you makes an offer and the other accepts without adjustment). You agreed, so you (or technically, possibly your parents on your behalf, if you're underage) have entered a contract with him, and in the absence of an explicit term in the contract stating what happens when you cancel, any non-mutually agreed cancellation is automatically a breach of the contract.
OP - I assume if it was the other way around, you'd want paying?
I'm disappointed their is no goodwill gesture of £35 to compensate for the one hour he lost.

However, I'm going to go ahead and pay him the £70.

Happy days
Reply 85

Happy days

Well done.
Reply 86

Happy days

Good

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending