Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Illogical Side to Spock - living with OCD, BDD and panic disorder Watch

Announcements
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    Just to say I admire your bravery through everything you've shared on your blog. Enjoy your wedding planning, getting married on an anniversary sounds like a lovely thing to do
    Thanks for taking the time to read my blog, that really means a lot :hugs:

Thank you! I'll keep you updated with all the wedding planning. We had been putting off setting our plans in actions because we had a lot on with my papa and then my stepdad being ill and everything else but things are quiet atm so it seems a good time to get the ball rolling, especially since a lot of venues need 2+ years warning for a wedding :eek: I'm still rooting for the chippy though
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spock's Socks)
    Thanks for taking the time to read my blog, that really means a lot :hugs:

Thank you! I'll keep you updated with all the wedding planning. We had been putting off setting our plans in actions because we had a lot on with my papa and then my stepdad being ill and everything else but things are quiet atm so it seems a good time to get the ball rolling, especially since a lot of venues need 2+ years warning for a wedding :eek: I'm still rooting for the chippy though
    Sounds like a good time to get planning yeah don't forget the chippy 2 years+ sounds ridiculous :O I know its good to be organised with weddings but i don't think registrars and vicars can always say they'd be available that far ahead, although you never know i suppose :P
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like a good time to get planning yeah don't forget the chippy 2 years+ sounds ridiculous :O I know its good to be organised with weddings but i don't think registrars and vicars can always say they'd be available that far ahead, although you never know i suppose :P
    Yeah we've been told to book the venue waaaaaaaaay in advance and the registrar about a year/year a half before the planned date. Knowing my luck we will book the venue and no registrar will be available on our day lol. I can't imagine 31st January would be a popular date for a wedding though so we will have that going for us :laugh:
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Yeah we've been told to book the venue waaaaaaaaay in advance and the registrar about a year/year a half before the planned date. Knowing my luck we will book the venue and no registrar will be available on our day lol. I can't imagine 31st January would be a popular date for a wedding though so we will have that going for us :laugh:
    I can't imagine you being unlucky if you want to get married in January (i once read something, i think it was on mse, that said getting married in january could save you a few thousand pounds, so there's plenty going to weddings then) I think it's only summer weddings when you might need to worry about the registrar really.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I can't imagine you being unlucky if you want to get married in January (i once read something, i think it was on mse, that said getting married in january could save you a few thousand pounds, so there's plenty going to weddings then) I think it's only summer weddings when you might need to worry about the registrar really.
    We were originally thinking of getting married on my bday which is in June but like you say, it would be more expensive, more venues sold out and people on holiday then so maybe some guests wouldn't be able to make it so January sounds the best, especially if its saving us money :laugh:

I think the photographer will be the most expensive thing for our day. My mum's photographer last month was an absolute disaster. He said he charges £700 for a full days work at a wedding which is around 8 hours but my mum only wanted him there for 2 hours tops, he still charged £500 :eek: he said he would take over 1000 pics, how many did he take?...150!!!!! We took more on our phones ffs. He didn't direct us at all. A photographer should be suggesting places to take pics and also asking if we have any ideas. He literally just stood there until we said, can we get pics here or there! A lot of the pics he took had important things cropped out. I'll show you a good example, there's a pic of flowers at the entrance where my mum got married and on the bottom of the flower pot it had their names on it, he didn;t show that in the pic and he cropped out half the bloody flowers and you see more of the wall than the flowers and nothing of the names! Name:  20160413_Michelle&Gary_011_2048px.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  127.1 KB

The best part was that he arrived at the meal venue before everyone and me and Callan and his aunt and uncle who gave us a lift arrived a minute later and he stood there walking about waiting on my mum arriving and he saw us taking pics on our phones because he wasn't taking any and guess what...he didn't offer to take pics of us while we were waiting, he took a pic of us taking pics of each other! I thought that was a bloody cheek! He could have took nice professional pics of us while we waited on my mum but no, he took a pic of us taking pics.

He never put the pics into a wedding album either, everything just went on a hard drive. He was such a let down and it really upset my mum and stepdad
    Attached Images

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    That sounds like a nightmare tbh. Did your mum manage to get some good photos to treasure (even if taken by guests)?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SinsNotTragedies)
    That sounds like a nightmare tbh. Did your mum manage to get some good photos to treasure (even if taken by guests)?
    Yeah thankfully a lot of the guests took good pics there were a few great pics from the photographer but for that price and especially for an occasion like a wedding, every picture taken by a professional photographer should look brilliant, not just a few
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    We were originally thinking of getting married on my bday which is in June but like you say, it would be more expensive, more venues sold out and people on holiday then so maybe some guests wouldn't be able to make it so January sounds the best, especially if its saving us money :laugh:

I think the photographer will be the most expensive thing for our day. My mum's photographer last month was an absolute disaster. He said he charges £700 for a full days work at a wedding which is around 8 hours but my mum only wanted him there for 2 hours tops, he still charged £500 :eek: he said he would take over 1000 pics, how many did he take?...150!!!!! We took more on our phones ffs. He didn't direct us at all. A photographer should be suggesting places to take pics and also asking if we have any ideas. He literally just stood there until we said, can we get pics here or there! A lot of the pics he took had important things cropped out. I'll show you a good example, there's a pic of flowers at the entrance where my mum got married and on the bottom of the flower pot it had their names on it, he didn;t show that in the pic and he cropped out half the bloody flowers and you see more of the wall than the flowers and nothing of the names! Name:  20160413_Michelle&Gary_011_2048px.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  127.1 KB

The best part was that he arrived at the meal venue before everyone and me and Callan and his aunt and uncle who gave us a lift arrived a minute later and he stood there walking about waiting on my mum arriving and he saw us taking pics on our phones because he wasn't taking any and guess what...he didn't offer to take pics of us while we were waiting, he took a pic of us taking pics of each other! I thought that was a bloody cheek! He could have took nice professional pics of us while we waited on my mum but no, he took a pic of us taking pics.

He never put the pics into a wedding album either, everything just went on a hard drive. He was such a let down and it really upset my mum and stepdad
    I'm sorry your mum and stepdad got such an awful photographer, i hope there's some way you can leave a bad review as that's really not the professionalism you'd expect from a wedding photographer. I agree you'd expect them to check out the venue to know where a good photo opporutnity is or at least know where they should be offering to take photos.

My mums photographer was the opposite and took a bit too many photos, like there are 5 of me just getting out of car and there were 5 of us a bridesmaids, so him holding us up didnt help when mum was just anxious to get to the church.

I think january is a lovely month as then you get to almost start a new year together as husband and wife
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Yeah thankfully a lot of the guests took good pics there were a few great pics from the photographer but for that price and especially for an occasion like a wedding, every picture taken by a professional photographer should look brilliant, not just a few
    Oh that's good then - at least they were taken by the guests so they are even more special! :woo: Yeah that seems like a huge let down, but then again at least there are some good photos to keep and I hope the rest of the day was wonderful - plus you can ensure you get a good photographer for your wedding. :cute:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SinsNotTragedies)
    Oh that's good then - at least they were taken by the guests so they are even more special! :woo: Yeah that seems like a huge let down, but then again at least there are some good photos to keep and I hope the rest of the day was wonderful - plus you can ensure you get a good photographer for your wedding. :cute:
    Other than the crappy photographer, the day went without a hitch and it was brilliant I gave my mum away with my papa and it sounds soppy but walking her down the aisle with him was one of the proudest moments of my life :love: Yeah my mum has said we will research every photographer for my day and not just settle for the first one someone recommends. He was the boyfriend of the girl who used to do me and my mum's nails and we knew him quite well and his portfolio looked good but more fool us

I'm sorry your mum and stepdad got such an awful photographer, i hope there's some way you can leave a bad review as that's really not the professionalism you'd expect from a wedding photographer. I agree you'd expect them to check out the venue to know where a good photo opporutnity is or at least know where they should be offering to take photos.

My mums photographer was the opposite and took a bit too many photos, like there are 5 of me just getting out of car and there were 5 of us a bridesmaids, so him holding us up didnt help when mum was just anxious to get to the church.

I think january is a lovely month as then you get to almost start a new year together as husband and wife
    Yeah I thought that photographers would go and check out the venue if they hadn't been to it before and they were local like he was or call up the manager to see where they can and can't take pics and get some ideas but he didn't. He didn't even know there was a garden with statues and little waterfalls around the back of the hotel and we never found out until the manager asked us an hour after the photographer left why we never went out there. Mum was fuming because it looked lovely once we saw it. She told him to go after cutting the cake. He was standing around like a kid who was forced to go to a party and didn't want to be there and just kept looking at the floor and his watch. That would have been the easiest £500 he's ever made

I hope you and your bf have a lot better experience with photographers than my mum did when it comes to your day! You guys got any rough date for the wedding planned?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Other than the crappy photographer, the day went without a hitch and it was brilliant I gave my mum away with my papa and it sounds soppy but walking her down the aisle with him was one of the proudest moments of my life :love: Yeah my mum has said we will research every photographer for my day and not just settle for the first one someone recommends. He was the boyfriend of the girl who used to do me and my mum's nails and we knew him quite well and his portfolio looked good but more fool us
    Aww I'm glad it went well :woo: :cry2: - hopefully your wedding day will be magical and wonderful! :emog:
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I thought that photographers would go and check out the venue if they hadn't been to it before and they were local like he was or call up the manager to see where they can and can't take pics and get some ideas but he didn't. He didn't even know there was a garden with statues and little waterfalls around the back of the hotel and we never found out until the manager asked us an hour after the photographer left why we never went out there. Mum was fuming because it looked lovely once we saw it. She told him to go after cutting the cake. He was standing around like a kid who was forced to go to a party and didn't want to be there and just kept looking at the floor and his watch. That would have been the easiest £500 he's ever made

I hope you and your bf have a lot better experience with photographers than my mum did when it comes to your day! You guys got any rough date for the wedding planned?
    I can understand why your mum was upset, how can a photographer not look for the garden?!

He hasn't actually popped the question as yet but i suspect he will soon though. But we've agreed on spring 2018 (near my birthday and the honeymoon would be cheaper basically:P) if we can find a venue that's got free dates for elopements that we like
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I took a turn for the worst with my panic attacks last night. I couldn't sleep at all because I kept taking panics and then as soon as it flared down, high anxiety would rise and cause another one and I was pacing up and down the flat for hours and almost rocking back and forth with anxiety and frustration

The wedding is the last thing on my mind right now but we will be discussing it when we meet my mum tomorrow anyway. We are going to view a car tomorrow and I hope I am better by then because where we are going to view it is in a town about 15 miles away and that might as well be 1000 miles away from home when I am in this state I planned to view the car today but I was in no state to it and for the first time in about a year, I felt utter dread about going out. Usually I feel better outside and can't wait to get out but today it was exactly how I felt when I was on the road to becoming housebound which has scared me a bit. I don't think I am becoming housebound again, I think its just a setback but its not nice being reminded of how bad it can get.

I've also made a challenge chart for first time in over a year, that's how bad the panics are. Usually for the last year and a bit, if I got a panic setback - I could just push through it but right now I feel like I have no inner strength to depend on and I have to go back to the basics to get through it again
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Getting my hair dyed first thing tomorrow morning
    Going a brown/cherry red colour. I love bright red hair but it fades too quick and I can't be bothered getting my roots done every fortnight so going for something a little less time consuming for a wee while before I finally head back to my beloved ginger

I've got therapy tomorrow and I really cba with it but after how I've been feeling, I really need it. Just hoping getting my hair done tomorrow perks me up a bit

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    So I took the plunge and went to brown hair! Its brown with some dark cherry red streaks in it. I like it but it'll take a bit of getting used to

I also had my therapy session today and it went well except for the I wont be seeing her weekly from now on, I will have to wait enough 4 weeks to see her because she is on holiday...AGAIN! I've never known someone to take so many ******* holidays.

Been struggling a lot over the last week or so, so I found that quite hard to hear

Hope everyone is well :hugs:
    Attached Images

• TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Name:  Snapchat-8845260082246559808.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  483.7 KBCurrently on the train atm to go and visit Callan on his last ever day at college. Nervous as hell. I used to make this journey a few times a week about 4 years ago and in the last year, I've only managed it one other time than this. Feel sick with nerves :cry2:

Proud I'm doing it though. This was a challenge my therapist set me

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Today is Callan's last ever day at college after 5 years and despite my panic attacks having been worse over the last month, I managed to go up and see him for it I used to make that journey on the train nearly every week day when I went there years ago and then once a week when I went up to visit him on a day off and the year after that I didn't go up at all because I was housebound and this year I've managed twice. If I've learned anything from having panics and OCD, it's that you don't have to climb a mountain every day to feel true achievement. Doing things that millions take for granted and would never worry about is a major achievement when you suffer from conditions like that and you should be bloody proud with every step in the right direction you take and I am

Wishing Callan all the best in his post college life. Looking forward to seeing what's next for him and us :love:
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Name:  PhotoGrid_1464952869025.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  431.0 KB
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Just had to share this!

What a lot of people say is OCD like the perfectionism is actually OCPD, which is a personality disorder and not OCD which is an anxiety disorder

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Attached Images

• TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Cuddles and a goodbye nose bop from Rambo before I go to my mammy's to cat sit for a week love my big blob so much. He's a wee gentleman :love:
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Attached Images

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 31, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.