Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Truthteller10)
    Well there we have it.

Facts and logic are false and meaningless to feminists with crazy ideas.
    There is nothing crazy about equality unless you are a misogynistic pig.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zargabaath)
    Internalised misogyny tbh
    internalised stupidity ^ tbh
    is it misogynistic to recognise that women simply do not enter a specific industry?
    I remember once where a woman started a sewage worker apprenticeship (or something like that) and it was on the ****ing news.

ReputationRep:
    Just curious but what would you rather have the sign say?
    One way or another you'll probably miss out some identity and offend someone.
    I think the sign was simply just to put the point across that people are working overhead rather than oppressing anyone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FrothyGash)
    There is nothing crazy about equality unless you are a misogynistic pig.
    Did you miss the part where I said that in a capitalist society women are just as equal as men?

And are even given privileges in specific circumstances?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BubbleBoobies)
    do you seriously see 1 mother****ing woman working in this line of work? :| don't be so dishonest with yourself.
    Do I see any students here working in this line of work? Do I even see any students working?

ReputationRep:
    The sign would be different if women where actually working that particular job.
    do you seriously see 1 mother****ing woman working in this line of work? :| don't be so dishonest with yourself.
    Lol do you not understand self-fulfilling prophecies? If women go around seeing these signs they will think they are automatically excluded from these jobs.

Also I bet there have been women working overhead when a sign like this has been in place.

I'm not disputing that biologically men are probably more suited to this line of work but it doesn't mean that all women should be discouraged from these jobs and this sign creates that situation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ManOfJustTin)
    Just curious but what would you rather have the sign say?
    One way or another you'll probably miss out some identity and offend someone.
    I think the sign was simply just to put the point across that people are working overhead rather than oppressing anyone
    'People working overhead'

ReputationRep:
    internalised stupidity ^ tbh
    is it misogynistic to recognise that women simply do not enter a specific industry?
    I remember once where a woman started a sewage worker apprenticeship (or something like that) and it was on the ****ing news.
    The reason they don't enter the industry is because of societal conditioning which is perpetuated by these kinds of signs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FrothyGash)
    Do I see any students here working in this line of work? Do I even see any students working?
    hahahahaha is this *seriously* how low you're willing to sink to argue this case? :')
    you can't see if somebody is a student or not simply via your sight; you have to find that fact out by verification. if a man is working, then you can't see he's a man without needing verification like the status of being a student.
    that's the reason why you have signs that say "men working" - because you can clearly see who's working - pretty much 100% men.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Matriarchy)
    Lol do you not understand self-fulfilling prophecies? If women go around seeing these signs they will think they are automatically excluded from these jobs.
    No. Only paranoid idiotic self entitled women would be offended or triggered by a sign saying men working overhead.

I'm not disputing that biologically men are probably more suited to this line of work but it doesn't mean that all women should be discouraged from these jobs and this sign creates that situation.

Like I said above, only crazy unhinged paranoid radical feminists would be discouraged, angry, triggered and offended by a sign stating that men are working overhead.

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough

Still don't think it's societal conditioning or anything since I wouldn't be discouraged by something so tedious but I guess the sign could've been better phrased.

ReputationRep:

The people that were working were Men.

Not women, the sign is specific.

ReputationRep:
    The people that were working were Men.

Not women, the sign is specific.
    How do you know this with such certainty ?

You sound religious.

ReputationRep:
    The reason they don't enter the industry is because of societal conditioning which is perpetuated by these kinds of signs.
    1) women have preferences. they have preferences *against* manual labour jobs. are they not allowed their own preferences? surely *that* is sexist?

I understand that culture is going to be influenced by subjective social constructions, but why do you think a culture would tend towards women working in manual labour when they're the *weaker* gender?

ReputationRep:
    How do you know this with such certainty ?

You sound religious.
    I am religious, but that has nothing to do with this.

ReputationRep:
    You're not a feminist. You're just an idiot who plucks the tiniest bit of borderline unpolitcal correctness in a SIGN, and claim that women are somehow being oppressed because of it. I bet you don't actually care about women's rights, you're just pretending to be some sort of social justice warrior to put yourself on a pedestal. The fact that you're a man says it all - you're probably trying to make yourself more attractive to females because you're obviously such a devout 'feminist'. I have three words for you; get a grip.

ReputationRep:
    No. Only paranoid idiotic self entitled women would be offended or triggered by a sign saying men working overhead.

Like I said above, only crazy unhinged paranoid radical feminists would be discouraged, angry, triggered and offended by a sign stating that men are working overhead.
    Wow. So because I'm a feminist and pointing out the systemic sexism that is ingrained in our culture demonstrated by your reaction I am now paranoid, crazy, and unhinged?

Note I have not felt the need to insult you or make assumptions. You are the one getting triggered over what is supposedly triggering me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyle1198)
    Let's be honest, men are biologically stronger than women generally, so it's not surprising that there will be men 'working overhead' because women would not generally be strong enough to do those tasks. That doesn't mean women are being oppressed in any way, and yes there should be equal rights for both sexes, but they are two different things.

If you want to preach about feminism, go to Africa or Asia where women are much more oppressed here, lower literacy and education rates for them etc, rather than plucking some just about borderline un-PC sign in the street. That is how you can help your cause.
    I agree with your first paragraph.

I think your generalising Africa and Asia though. They are massive and very diverse. But yes they have cultural differences.

Women can be feel oppressed anywhere in the world...not of one particular background.
    Even in the west women may feel oppressed but it doesnt seem to you like clearly most times. Or it might not be seen as they are.

Another thing, i dont really understand feminism even as a female. What about men..do we not think they can also be oppressed. Idk just a thought.

ReputationRep:
    Wow. So because I'm a feminist and pointing out the systemic sexism that is ingrained in our culture demonstrated by your reaction I am now paranoid, crazy, and unhinged?

Note I have not felt the need to insult you or make assumptions. You are the one getting triggered over what is supposedly triggering me.

A sign that says men working ahead is in no way systemic oppression.

we are into the 4th page on this topic yet you've failed to show us how that sign was oppressive to anyone.

ReputationRep:
    Don't give this guy the time of day guys, I bet he doesn't even believe anything he's saying, he just wants praise and to be put on a pedestal

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.