Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redmonds)
    It is quite a wet nib indeed, ink comes out thick and fast. And yeah, steel nib, which was a bit disappointing given the price
    True but Visconti know what they are doing, therefore, it writes better than a gold nib. The Dream Touch Palladium on the Homosapien is awe inspired.

(Original post by pinkfloydfan)
    I use a ultra-solid Lamy Safari; decided my fate so many times. Used it to write my IGCSEs and my overseas interview from Imperial, and I'm most certainly using it for the IB exams.
    A trusted companion to all writers.

(Original post by Tetragon213)
    My pen's got no name, nothing. It was a custom piece made by my DT Teacher. He'd make pens in the DT lab and sell them relatively cheaply when you consider they were hand made from real wood. I still have mine, and I've had it for nearly 5 years. It's been through 2 Nibs, and the main body is starting to break, but it's still a wonderful piece to have
    WOW, He must've been an amazing teacher. You're a lucky human to have such a one-off creation and that pen has been well-loved with many stories and a great life behind it. It thanks you.

[QUOTE=quasa;64581335]currently, any random biro. fountain pen wise...parkers[/I
    If i wasn't into fine writing and craftsmanship: I would use a gel ink pen.

I use a pink urban parker fountain pen, love the weight of it and it's so beautiful

ReputationRep:
    Wow, didn't know there were so many enthusiast here! I use a Montblanc 149, TWSIBI VAC 700, Pilot Custom 823 (FA nib), Jinhao X750, and I have Visconti Homo-Sapeins bronze age on the way from America. As for inks: Diamine (ancient copper is my favourite), Pilot Iroshizuku (Ama-Iro) and Pelikan Edelstein mainly. I also fiddle with dip-pen calligraphy here-and-there (use a speedball oblique nib holder and Zebra nibs), but have stopped recently due to exam preparation. And for paper I use a Rhodia dot-pad for 6th form and Clairefontaine Triumph for revision notes/calligraphy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Trust me, they are sublime
    (Original post by rym4n)
    I'm left handed and i've been using a fountain pen since year 10
    Always found them a pain in the arse as I kept smudging the ink when I was writing.

Also, my handwriting's awful so they're wasted on me anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dawg_Money_2)
    True but Visconti know what they are doing, therefore, it writes better than a gold nib. The Dream Touch Palladium on the Homosapien is awe inspired.
    Yes they do indeed, it is silky smooth

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by quasa)
    i hate using fountain pens because they keep getting clogged with paper and leaking on me. also they dont create uniform thickness on different aspects of letters (and they are a pain to do curved writing).
    Those first two problems mean you've been using a rubbish fountain pen. You have to invest a little for a decent one, £15 up will get you a decent Parker. Third one is actually desirable in fountain pens, if you don't want that then look for a steel nib pen. Fourth, I haven't a clue what's going on there. Cursive writing should be a hundred times easier with a fountain. It's just getting used to it as you need to apply very little pressure on the paper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dragonzrmetal)
    Those first two problems mean you've been using a rubbish fountain pen. You have to invest a little for a decent one, £15 up will get you a decent Parker. Third one is actually desirable in fountain pens, if you don't want that then look for a steel nib pen. Fourth, I haven't a clue what's going on there. Cursive writing should be a hundred times easier with a fountain. It's just getting used to it as you need to apply very little pressure on the paper.
    yeah I paid £16 for my parker and I've used it for 4 years now. All my other ones below £16 broke within a year haha

(Original post by ETbuymilkandeggs)
    Wow, didn't know there were so many enthusiast here! I use a Montblanc 149, TWSIBI VAC 700, Pilot Custom 823 (FA nib), Jinhao X750, and I have Visconti Homo-Sapeins bronze age on the way from America. As for inks: Diamine (ancient copper is my favourite), Pilot Iroshizuku (Ama-Iro) and Pelikan Edelstein mainly. I also fiddle with dip-pen calligraphy here-and-there (use a speedball oblique nib holder and Zebra nibs), but have stopped recently due to exam preparation. And for paper I use a Rhodia dot-pad for 6th form and Clairefontaine Triumph for revision notes/calligraphy.
    Wow, dream pencil case right there! 149!!! HOW AWESOME DO YOU FEEL WHEN WRITING WITH IT?

ReputationRep:
    In the long-term using fountains are kinda more affordable and convenient because you only practically need one fountain pen for the rest of your life and you will never ever lose that beloved pen?

(Original post by Redmonds)
    Yes they do indeed, it is silky smooth
    what's your next purchase?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ETbuymilkandeggs)
    I can only write on ClaireFontaine as Rhodia is far too gritty.

(Original post by JamesN88)
    Always found them a pain in the arse as I kept smudging the ink when I was writing.

Also, my handwriting's awful so they're wasted on me anyway.
    Practice puts brains into muscles - Charles Dickens

(Original post by dragonzrmetal)
    Go cheaper with a Jinhao (only around £3) they write sublime and better than parkers for some.

where do you keep your pens?

where do you keep your pens?
    butthole

ReputationRep:
    what's your next purchase?
    I am thinking maybe a Pelikan Souveran M600, although I also collect mechanical watches which come first in priority

ReputationRep:
    Wow, dream pencil case right there! 149!!! HOW AWESOME DO YOU FEEL WHEN WRITING WITH IT?
    Like Hugh Jackman:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBz796Ja7t8

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.