Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Okay can someone help me here? I know I got 45/50 on the coursework, and probably a low/mid A on Paper 1, how many more marks can I drop to get an A* overall? (Obviously the source paper is tomorrow :/ so annoyed with Paper 1, think I really messed up )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melville140)
    Okay can someone help me here? I know I got 45/50 on the coursework, and probably a low/mid A on Paper 1, how many more marks can I drop to get an A* overall? (Obviously the source paper is tomorrow :/ so annoyed with Paper 1, think I really messed up )
    I'm sure you did fine! Try and stay calm so you can focus properly on tomorrow's paper...

Firstly, my coursework was out of 40 not 50 so perhaps it was different to yours, but from my experience the grade boundaries for Paper 2 are fairly low, so it should be alright to make up some marks. The key thing to do is to make sure you identify the big message in each source, and then its fairly easy to hit the top-level marks.

If you need any advice on how to answer a specific question (or if anyone does, for that matter), send me a PM and I'll try to help!

If you know which components you take, you can look at the grade boundaries from 2014 (possibly 2015 as well?) on the CIE website.

Best of luck tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by metellaest)
    I'm sure you did fine! Try and stay calm so you can focus properly on tomorrow's paper...

Firstly, my coursework was out of 40 not 50 so perhaps it was different to yours, but from my experience the grade boundaries for Paper 2 are fairly low, so it should be alright to make up some marks. The key thing to do is to make sure you identify the big message in each source, and then its fairly easy to hit the top-level marks.

If you need any advice on how to answer a specific question (or if anyone does, for that matter), send me a PM and I'll try to help!

If you know which components you take, you can look at the grade boundaries from 2014 (possibly 2015 as well?) on the CIE website.

Best of luck tomorrow
    Hey, is there any chance you can post about how to answer paper 2 questions in general? My teacher has never run it through to us and I really don't know how to do them, we've never looked at sources questions before. I think she wants us to just wing it like how do you get the marks, how many are available etc?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by get_in_the_robot)
    Hey, is there any chance you can post about how to answer paper 2 questions in general? My teacher has never run it through to us and I really don't know how to do them, we've never looked at sources questions before. I think she wants us to just wing it like how do you get the marks, how many are available etc?
    No problem it's not too bad just to wing it (unlike Paper 1!) but if you know a few tips about the mark scheme, it can really help to get to the higher levels.

I think the number one thing to do is to realise that it is quality not quantity that gets you the marks. If you hit the top 'level' of the mark scheme by your second or third sentence, then you will be awarded all the marks.

The questions fluctuate in no. of marks allocated: the first five will have a variety of 7-markers, 8-markers and possibly 9-markers (though I'm not sure whether they still do those). There are always six questions, and Q6 is always the same - I'll get to that in a bit.

There are many types of questions, including (but not exclusive to):
    - how far do two sources agree?
    - are you surprised by the source?
    - why was the source published at a particular time?
    - what is the message of the source?
    - how far does one source prove a different one wrong?
    - how reliable is the source?

There are slightly different ways to answer each, but the key thing to do is find the big message. This means working out what the key meaning/interpretation/intended impact/message of the source is. Identifying this in the source (or both sources if you are discussing more than one) will help you get more marks. Only then describe/explain the sub-messages.

Reliability involves assessing who wrote the source (and what that might mean about whether the source is reliable), why they wrote the source, and who their intended audience were. For example, a speech by Saddam Hussein is going to be less reliable than a book written in 2015 by a British Historian.

It would take too long to explain all the types of questions, but if you have one in particular, I would be happy to help. Many answers require you to know contextual knowledge, so be aware of key dates.

A few (but nowhere near all):
    - Iraq's oil nationalised: 1972
    - Saddam Hussein comes to power: mid-July 1979
    - Iran-Iraq war: 1980-1988
    - Iran's revolution: 1979
    - Saddam's invasion of Kuwait: August (2nd) 1990
    - First Gulf War: Desert Shield and Desert Storm (air/ground) have different dates, but it is between 1990 and 1991

Then there's question 6:

- requires you to go through all the sources and work out whether they agree or don't agree with a statement it gives you, and then come to a conclusion whether they do on-the-whole or not
    -start with a short introduction
    -then go through them one by one
    - ten marks are available for using the sources to support or reject the statement
    - the other two are for evaluating any two of the sources for reliability
    - come to a conclusion that uses own knowledge to back up what the sources indicate

hope that helped!

ReputationRep:
    Hello! I am doing the sources paper tomorrow and I'm feeling okay about all the questions that could get asked apart from the question six. I was just wondering if anyone knew if you need to use ALL the sources for the question of if two/three for each side of the statement would be ok - I'm better at writing a bit more in depth about a few sources then going over all of them! Thanks in advance xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lidzxxx)
    Hello! I am doing the sources paper tomorrow and I'm feeling okay about all the questions that could get asked apart from the question six. I was just wondering if anyone knew if you need to use ALL the sources for the question of if two/three for each side of the statement would be ok - I'm better at writing a bit more in depth about a few sources then going over all of them! Thanks in advance xxx

Hi - I don't know the official answer so please don't assume what I say is necessarily correct.

If you don't find out the official answer, I would say it's better to be safe and address all the sources, even if you don't end up writing much for a few of them. Otherwise, you may discount some key information that would really help your conclusion. Despite this, you can still go in-depth on a few. However, if you don't have enough time, I would definitely still do at least three on each side - two probably isn't quite enough.

Best of luck tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lidzxxx)
    You are supposed to analyse all sources relevant to the question, though you don't need to analyse all of them in depth, a few in depth is enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JM999)
    You are supposed to analyse all sources relevant to the question, though you don't need to analyse all of them in depth, a few in depth is enough.
    Does anyone have any example sources or cartoons?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JM999)
    Thanks - for answering the question - I think I will see how much time I have tomorrow and hope that it is enough to do what you say! Good luck everyone xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by metellaest)
    hope that helped!

you are a LIFESAVER. Thank you so much! Hope you do well!!

ReputationRep:
    Apologies for this being a ridiculously cliche question:

I know I got 40/40 on my coursework and a minimum of 57/60 - most likely 60/60 - on paper 1, so (we all know what's coming...) what do I need in paper 2 for an A*?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AbdullaAlAnzi)
    I did this question . So basically it meant that u had to write a whole paragraph about how it was a threat to world peace . For example it was the point of tension which separated the democratic west and communist east . IF USA had a tank or intervened in an aggressive way to solve this then USSR would've saw that its an act of aggression and they will have every right to go on war . Disagree part it wasn't really a threat because nothing really happened . The airlift still supplied the 2 million people who were cut off . Stalin realized it was ineffective and removed the blockade shortly . Also u can write i think that Stalin wanted to pressure the west and take all of Berlin for himself . You can also say he was threatened by the formation of a new currency and that USA Britain and France put their zones into 1 so he did that just to look like hes strong so it didn't really impose threat on world peace
    I wrote the same kinda thing for the argument saying it was a threat to world piece. But for the counter argument I said that neither super power wanted to go to war because the still had bad memories from WW2 and the USSR lost 20,000,000 troops. Then I also said in my second paragraph the USA was unlikely to end the Berlin Blockade because the got to play the role of the "knight in shining armour" and save Berlin from starvation. (this would ensure a strong alliance in the future)

ReputationRep:
    has everyone here done coursework? i still have paper 4 to go, sigh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cornflakeexpert)
    I have it too! Thankfully it's in June though, so we still have a lot of time

ReputationRep:
    phew aha
    i really want to watch eurovision tonight but i know i should be studying ahhhh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saraetcetera)
    I have it too! Thankfully it's in June though, so we still have a lot of time
    (Original post by cornflakeexpert)
    I do too! rip 40 markers hurt my soul

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys how dud everyone find paper 2 ? did anyone do option A the 19th century topic ?

ReputationRep:
    That was awful. Didn't answer an 8 marker and didn't finish a single question. Ah. Gonna have to hope paper 4 is in my favour...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by get_in_the_robot)
    That was awful. Didn't answer an 8 marker and didn't finish a single question. Ah. Gonna have to hope paper 4 is in my favour...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Did anyone do the Gulf War section?

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone remember what exactly the 12 marker on the Gulf War was?

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.