Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rubeng)
    Yeah I got the points, but usually the mark scheme has copy of the diagram. I didn't get the diagram. What should it be?
    Honestly not sure, bit of a weird question. I'd go with the wooden mould process and just draw a boxy shape that looked like the bench

(Original post by Exams987)
    how much of natural woods should i revise?

so far i know hard wood and soft woods.
    Soft woods and hardwoods are natural woods. There are no other woods unless you count man-made board but that isn't natural

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CheaterHater;[url="tel:65045025")
    65045025[/url]]Am I missing anything from this list of manufacturing processes?
    Plastic:
    Injection Moulding
    Rotational Moulding
    Vacuum forming
    Blow moulding
    Extrusion
    Compression moulding

Metal:
    Press forming
    Extruding
    sand casting
    Deep drawing
    Die casting
    From plastics no but for metals you are missing spinning and don't forget laying up for composites (pond liner) and for woods steam bending. These processes are in the textbook if you have it.
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    (Original post by CheaterHater)
    Am I missing anything from this list of manufacturing processes?
    Plastic:
    Injection Moulding
    Rotational Moulding
    Vacuum forming
    Blow moulding
    Extrusion
    Compression moulding
    Calendering

Metal:
    Press forming
    Extruding
    sand casting
    Deep drawing/cupping
    Die casting (hot or cold chamber) (gravity)
    Piercing and blanking
    Spinning
    Lost wax process

Added in some others for you you also need wood processes and as the poster above said stuff like wet layup

(Original post by lmg1)
    Should I be learning properties of smart and modern materials because these don't really come up for properties questions?

Yes, always helps to know as much as possible

ReputationRep:
    can some one please help me out,

i have just started revising for this exam today.

which topics are least likely to come up?

ReputationRep:
    does anyone think compliant materials will come up tomorrow?

ReputationRep:
    does anyone think compliant materials will come up tomorrow?
    Honestly DT exam is unpredictable, anything could come up.

But definitely make sure to learn a couple of key materials from each group.(like mild steel for ferrous metals, ABS for thermoplastics etc.)

(Original post by Music With Rocks)
    Honestly DT exam is unpredictable, anything could come up.

But definitely make sure to learn a couple of key materials from each group.(like mild steel for ferrous metals, ABS for thermoplastics etc.)
    ABS is a life saver :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fruitbasket786)
    So far I've done annealing, pressforming, sandcasting, embossing,cupping and deep drawing and drop forging and I don't know if these process would be useful if asked for how the material is shaped into the chair or sutin X_x
    Well the legs would be extruded into metal tubes and if the whole chair was metal i reckon it'd be fabricated
    Press forming,cupping,deep drawing, blanking and embossing are all processes to make a drinks can (aluminium) and spinning is for metal bowls/lampshades
    Im recapping finishes and joints now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k.m.b)
    Well the legs would be extruded into metal tubes and if the whole chair was metal i reckon it'd be fabricated
    Press forming,cupping,deep drawing, blanking and embossing are all processes to make a drinks can (aluminium) and spinning is for metal bowls/lampshades
    Im recapping finishes and joints now
    Going to gloss over metal casting since I know I won't rememeber all the diagrams in one day so I'm just going to remember how they work and what examples are for the application. After that I will look at annealing

ReputationRep:
    Do we need to know about all the heat treatments on metals? They are not in the spec.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rubeng)
    Do we need to know about all the heat treatments on metals? They are not in the spec.
    No but they have asked questions on it in previous exam papers.

ReputationRep:
    For the usually last question that wants you to re-design a product for this certain audience. How do you usually follow through with these? How many ideas do you put down, what kind of annotations do you make? How are your drawings, do you develop ideas or just present them as one version etc.

ReputationRep:
    For the usually last question that wants you to re-design a product for this certain audience. How do you usually follow through with these? How many ideas do you put down, what kind of annotations do you make? How are your drawings, do you develop ideas or just present them as one version etc.
    I've found doing lots of development and annotation can never fail, just make sure the final design looks similar to the original
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Jakewww)
    I've found doing lots of development and annotation can never fail, just make sure the final design looks similar to the original
    Just reiterating this to everyone :yes: otherwise if it looks too different you get 0 marks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jakewww)
    Okay, I agree, and when you have separate ideas, do you draw each idea on separate diagrams then at the end draw the whole product with all features present?

ReputationRep:
    does anyone know the page for wasting processes?

ReputationRep:
    Okay, I agree, and when you have separate ideas, do you draw each idea on separate diagrams then at the end draw the whole product with all features present?
    Yeah just smaller drawing highlighting the feature, all leading to the final product

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fruitbasket786)
    Going to gloss over metal casting since I know I won't rememeber all the diagrams in one day so I'm just going to remember how they work and what examples are for the application. After that I will look at annealing

Nice. This is my first AS exam (as i'm in Y11) so i hope it's a good exam.
    ----
    Good luck everyone!

ReputationRep:
    does anyone know the page for wasting processes?
    Pages for wasting processes are 38-40

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.