Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you think it's OK to marry your cousin? Watch

• View Poll Results: How do you feel about marrying your cousin?
    Absolutely disgusting
    73.04%
    Yea it's fine
    26.96%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KaminiZindagi)

so just because gay marriage has been legalized, then we should legalize everything...
    Well, why was gay marriage legalised?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by typonaut)
    Can you cite a source for that. If the risk is originally 0.02%, then a 2-4% increase is significant (ie 2.02-4.02%).

I have seen figures that suggest that a couple from the British Pakistani community is something like 13 times more likely to have a child with genetic abnormalities, and that a third of children in the UK with serious disabilities come from that community. There may be other issues at play, but the cause is suggested to be the prevalence of intermarriage.
    "First cousins have a 1.5 to 3% increased risk of having a child with birth defects that are inherited. However, some couples may share no recessive traits, and would therefore have no increased risk."

https://www.cousincouples.com/?page=overview

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't do it and personally find it disgusting, but if others do then that is their choice. They're not harming anyone and are both consenting adults.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Erebor)
    I wouldn't, it's disgusting on all levels, but i hear it's quite common in the UK?
    No. It's quite common in a few immigrant communities in the UK but not for people from the UK as it's considered 'icky'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WBZ144)
    I wouldn't do it and personally find it disgusting, but if others do then that is their choice. They're not harming anyone and are both consenting adults.
    apart from their children that is

so yes they are actually harming people

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/heal...-children.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-23183102

'The number of babies born with birth defects in Bradford is nearly double the national average, research conducted in the city has shown.'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpiritSharD)
    I did not know you could marry cousins in the UK.

Erm...I need to think about this more.
    LOL there's not law as people from this country just didn't do it or it was such a rare occurrence it didn't need a law as it is considered 'icky'

this is because thankfully we have been 'enriched' by a few immigrant communities

ReputationRep:
    its weird, why the f**k would you want to marry your cousin. i guess its only if your both desperate and have no game

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shatoo)
    Oh so in your point of view.. It is 'alright' to use them for your desires and later on dump them. How utterly disgusting!
    Strawman Fallacy

(Original post by CheekyYear11)
    Strawman Fallacy
    What does this mean?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kitkatbitesize)
    Not actually true. Unless this has been repeated over generations…
    The point is that in some communities it has been repeated over generations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherryred90s)
    "First cousins have a 1.5 to 3% increased risk of having a child with birth defects that are inherited. However, some couples may share no recessive traits, and would therefore have no increased risk."

https://www.cousincouples.com/?page=overview
    I'll try to ignore the fact that this is a web site trying to promote the idea of intermarriage.

"some couples" may not share a recessive gene, but others will, and that likelihood is increased over generations where this sort of intermarriage takes place. Please come up with an alternative explanation for the overrepresentation of disabled children in the British Pakistani community - where intermarriage is commonplace.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by K2G)
    My parents are first cousins, me and my brother are perfectly fine fit and healthy individuals.

no offense, but you look like a pot head in your profile pic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BaconandSauce)

'The number of babies born with birth defects in Bradford is nearly double the national average, research conducted in the city has shown.'
    I'm aware of this, but wonder whether people would still want to ban it if the couple couldn't reproduce, or if they were a same sex couple who were related. What about couples in which one or both have hereditary conditions? Should they not be allowed to be together due to the risk that their condition may be passed down to their children?

People should be made aware of the risks to future children, however there is an extent to which the government should interfere in the private lives of the public.

ReputationRep:
    I'm aware of this, but wonder whether people would still want to ban it if the couple couldn't reproduce,
    Perhaps that could be a condition but would hard to enforce given changes in treatment for infertility(and Human rights and all that Jazz)

But if you knew this why did you say 'They're not harming anyone and are both consenting adults. ' when this is clearly incorrect?

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps that could be a condition but would hard to enforce given changes in treatment for infertility(and Human rights and all that Jazz)

But if you knew this why did you say 'They're not harming anyone and are both consenting adults. ' when this is clearly incorrect?
    *shrugs* some people willingly have their tubes tied or a vasectomy. I'm not passionate on the subject of banning cousin marriages and won't be bothered if it is banned but my personal view is to live and let live.

Their relationship in itself isn't harming anyone. It's not unless the couple reproduce and have a child with defects that we can then say that they have harmed someone. I wouldn't say that a couple with Huntingdon's disease are harming anyone

ReputationRep:
    *shrugs*
    says it all

ReputationRep:
    I'll try to ignore the fact that this is a web site trying to promote the idea of intermarriage.

"some couples" may not share a recessive gene, but others will, and that likelihood is increased over generations where this sort of intermarriage takes place. Please come up with an alternative explanation for the overrepresentation of disabled children in the British Pakistani community - where intermarriage is commonplace.
    Source?

If the couple didn't have any children together, would you still be opposed?

ReputationRep:

The thread is not asking whether it is okay for relatives to have children together. Getting married to one another is not harming anyone.

The only argument anyone can provide against this is the thought of children. What if they don't have any children? What if they adopt? Would you still be opposed?

Are you against disabled people having kids too?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherryred90s)
    Source?

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/591...abled-children

If the couple didn't have any children together, would you still be opposed?
    This seems an unlikely outcome. I suppose that in a British context the idea seems a little repugnant, given that you are talking about close family members - but at the same time the cultural pressures encouraging such marriages are largely absent. In other cultures there are clearly cultural pressures, and these should be avoided.

ReputationRep:
    This seems an unlikely outcome. I suppose that in a British context the idea seems a little repugnant, given that you are talking about close family members - but at the same time the cultural pressures encouraging such marriages are largely absent. In other cultures there are clearly cultural pressures, and these should be avoided.
    In terms of cultural pressure, that would be a forced marriage, which is illegal in the UK. However, if two people are in love while being related and are fully consenting to the relationship, they would only make up a small minority of couples because most of us are naturally repelled by our relatives. I just think that telling consenting adults that being with the person they love is a crime because we find their relationship disgusting may be counter-productive. Don't encourage it, but at the same time don't criminalise it.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 12, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.