Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by EricAteYou)
    You'd ideally want people from both the left and right.
    I agree. We want the arguments to be as broad as possible
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Kitta)
    What I'm interested to know is, with the majority of people leaning towards leave according to pollsters what do people think the outcome will be? I think people will bottle it in the end, then give up our democracy to EU bureaucrats but what about you guys?
    Probably too close to call at the moment. I think it depends on which campaign gets their voters out the door.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EuanF)

Agriculture
    - Prevents our fisheries being exploited by other EU members.

- Reduces the bureaucracy farmers have to deal with - e.g, the dead cow case.
    How about all that lovely EU money farmers get subsidised with?

I really couldn't care less for the plight of farm owners. They all vote Tory because they don't like a labour party subsidising and spending tax money on working class town/city dwellers but inscently whine about making sure the government props up[ their uncompetative businesses.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I'm sure not all farmers are evil

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tengentoppa)
    Remaining in the EU ensures that we retain passporting rights, which allow us to trade in financial services throughout the whole of the EU. This goes some way to ensuring multinational banks have their European headquarters in London, which subsequently helps secure London's status as the pre-eminent financial centre in the world. Without these passporting rights, financial institutions would likely move some, if not all, their business to another EU capital like Frankfurt.

The EU has a global regulatory reach due to its market power, and British businesses which operate in Europe will be following EU regulations regardless of whether we stay in or not. By staying in we ensure that we have a say in how the single market operates, rather than merely complying with its regulations.

This is especially important because there is a clash between certain countries (UK, Germany, Nordic countries) who want market liberalisation, and other countries (France and the Southern states) who favour subsidies and protectionism. As of now there is a general trend towards favouring free-market economics, but if the UK left a leading voice for that would be lost and we could see a tilt towards more restrictive regulations, which would subsequently have a negative effect on our trade with the EU.
    You're sadly just repeating all the drivel that the politicians who get their paycheck from the EU spout out. (No disrespect)

And ALL of that can be negotiated much more effectively if the UK leaves. Ofcourse there would be negative consequences shortly after the UK leaves, but the long-run effects far outweigh them.

But sure, if you prefer a vastly undemocratic, overly bureaucratic tool for the politcians at the top to dictate your domestic politics and economics without consent, do your thing.

In fact, my personal oppinion is that the right for self determination should take precidence, even if the effects are purely negative. (The latter will not be the case if the UK leaves).

I've heard some good arguments from the pro-EU people, but I've heard 10x as many from the Leave-EU guys.

Greetings from the land of Lederhosen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)

I really couldn't care less for the plight of farm owners. They all vote Tory because they don't like a labour party subsidising and spending tax money on working class town/city dwellers but indecently whine about making sure the government props up[ their uncompetative businesses.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Erm... you understand all points about EU subsidies are moot because we pay more into the EU than is spent on us by the EU? It doesn't matter what the EU is giving us because ultimately we will be able to provide those things PLUS have our contribution to distribute.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EuanF)
    Erm... you understand all points about EU subsidies are moot because we pay more into the EU than is spent on us by the EU? It doesn't matter what the EU is giving us because ultimately we will be able to provide those things PLUS have our contribution to distribute.
    and farmers get more direct subsidy from the EU than I do.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador

I really couldn't care less for the plight of farm owners. They all vote Tory because they don't like a labour party subsidising and spending tax money on working class town/city dwellers but indecently whine about making sure the government props up[ their uncompetative businesses.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I do believe that our farming sector is at least relatively efficient and competitive compared to many of those on the continent. We also have that cap is done in a silly way, it's convoluted, doesn't discriminate based on need, doesn't care whether it's personal or commercial use, and encouraged over production. I do wonder just how much cheaper or would be if done sensibly.

It is of course worth adding that most farmers seem to be in favour of exit.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Kitta)
    What I'm interested to know is, with the majority of people leaning towards leave according to pollsters what do people think the outcome will be? I think people will bottle it in the end, then give up our democracy to EU bureaucrats but what about you guys?
    The EU is not undemocratic...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It very much is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Of course it is, it is run in the interests of business. Although so is the British government. Thats why both arguments are a joke, its just which side is less of a joke will win.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by EuanF)
    It very much is.
    I'd ask you to prove it but you can't.
    I'll just wait for tge debate being scheduled.
    (Original post by BenGeorge)
    Of course it is, it is run in the interests of business. Although so is the British government. Thats why both arguments are a joke, its just which side is less of a joke will win.
    So capping roaming charges, letting us claim money from delayed flights is in the interest of business?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    I'd ask you to prove it but you can't.
    I'll just wait for tge debate being scheduled.

So capping roaming charges, letting us claim money from delayed flights is in the interest of business?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Capping roaming charges: one of those things the EU was openly against until a couple of years ago at which point it swooped in on the world doing it for them and said "look what we did!"

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The principle of the EU was one of working together to promote peace in Europe. I think that we need to continue that, or I can see us in the not too distant future become more and more xenophobic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    I do believe that our farming sector is at least relatively efficient and competitive compared to many of those on the continent. We also have that cap is done in a silly way, it's convoluted, doesn't discriminate based on need, doesn't care whether it's personal or commercial use, and encouraged over production. I do wonder just how much cheaper or would be if done sensibly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    All that money going to brussseeelllls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now give me my subsidies.

I have nothing against subsidies in principle. Just can;t stand selfish hypocrites.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    All that money going to brussseeelllls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now give me my subsidies.

I have nothing against subsidies in principle. Just can;t stand selfish hypocrites.
    Implying that the only reason any farmer is against the EU is because, actually, I have no idea what you're trying to accuse them of.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by offhegoes)
    The principle of the EU was one of working together to promote peace in Europe. I think that we need to continue that, or I can see us in the not too distant future become more and more xenophobic.
    That's what it likes to masquerade as, but it really isn't. It is a sinister force trying to collectivise Europe against its will. If it truly was about care and European brotherhood, they wouldn't threaten us to scare us and make an example to the rest of the states wanting to leave the EU.

The mask is slipping.

(P.S NATO and the globalised economy is the reason there is peace in Europe, not the EU)
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Where did you read about the latter statement? I've read very much, albeit through mediums such as the NFU, farmers are for against the idea of an exit.

ReputationRep:
    an outdated, bureaucratic, anti-democratic, anti-globalist, protectionist, stagnating, indebted political-economic institution that makes us unable to control half our laws (or more), or our immigration/borders, and whatever it does from a continental level like environmental policy we can surely legislate over at a local UK level.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by EuanF)
    That's what it likes to masquerade as, but it really isn't. It is a sinister force trying to collectivise Europe against its will. If it truly was about care and European brotherhood, they wouldn't threaten us to scare us and make an example to the rest of the states wanting to leave the EU.

The mask is slipping.

(P.S NATO and the globalised economy is the reason there is peace in Europe, not the EU)
    If you honestly think that the EU is sinister and trying to divide Europe I pity you.

The EU works hand in hand with NATO. NATO is a brawn to the EU's brain. Whilst currently it's been pretty lackluster with the current migrant crisis it's previous involvement with Ireland and other countries has shown how collective support is better than isolated support. Whilst a globalised economy has has helped it's the EU's trade market and services integration which has acted as the medium for globalisation.

ReputationRep:
    If you want to be living with your parents until you are 50! - Vote Remain.

If you want to be able to afford to buy your own home - Vote LEAVE.

Simple supply and demand, really...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.