Turn on thread page Beta

Speakership Election (May 2016) - Manifestos and Q&A watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    Life_peer Firstly, props for best manifesto I think. Secondly, I must say your promises sound very attractive but I can't see how you're actually going to achieve all the automated/techy stuff. Care to elaborate?
    Cheers, I appreciate the positive comment.

I'm afraid the technical details are be too complicated and boring to be disclosed at this stage (I'm lazy unless I'm hired).

However, I can describe some functionality of what I'd like to be done from the user's point of view:

1. Automated formatting and submission system – there's a page with multiple input fields representing sections, subsections, paragraphs, etc. One can add them, remove them, like in many web apps. The user puts in the data and the system spits out BBCode that can be posted to the party forum and eventually submitted to the Speaker.

2. Tracking and an always up-to-date queue – the submission is automatically taken from the Speaker's inbox, associated with the party, and added to the queue which is public.

3. Configurable reminders reflecting the state of your submissions – the system keeps track of individual submissions and sends you a PM, an e-mail, or indeed a push notification when something happens, e.g. the vote ends in six hours and you still haven't voted.

4. Missing votes – you are also notified of your fellow slackers whom you can choose to whip into voting by sending them another reminder. This would also be handled through the API and a dedicated account.

5. Automated rolling voting review, always up-to-date and accessible online – I basically already did this so you know what to expect plus a system for keeping track of MPs, proxies, the actual spreadsheet-style visualisation, etc.

6. MHoC dashboard – one web page to rule them all and provide information like active submissions, queue, status of current votes, people who have yet to vote, etc. without having to go through it all sorts of different pages.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airmed)
    cranbrook_aspie I think it would be a case of highlighting to leaders MPs who are slipping a little in voting, even before I'd publish the review. I don't think 90% is ambitious; I don't want to blunt or anything, but right now I'm listening to voices who are telling me to do silly things and I'm ignoring them and yet I can still function fine and vote. I would encourage party leaders to get a proxy for their MP if said MP would miss even one vote.

As for the AdHoC I'd welcome any sort of articles, just as long as that didn't involve bullying of another member etc. You can write a propaganda article about Labour and I'd accept it. Even articles on people's views of RL events like Brexit would be of interest to this house.
    But surely leaders/people responsible for voting upkeep would already know that information? And yes, totally - but not everyone has your level of dedication to this place, and not every party always has people up for proxying.

My revolutionary exhortations to the populace will finally have an outlet then But seriously, how would you get it off the ground and encourage people to write articles for you to accept? Would you identify and contact people that you thought might like to write the first articles, or what?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by toronto353)
    The whisky is no more - you can take the Lambrini that I've still got from Jarred's time as Speaker though, he used to buy that up like it were going out of fashion.
    *takes all the Lambrini*
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    cranbrook_aspie I think it would be a case of highlighting to leaders MPs who are slipping a little in voting, even before I'd publish the review. I don't think 90% is ambitious; I don't want to blunt or anything, but right now I'm listening to voices who are telling me to do silly things and I'm ignoring them and yet I can still function fine and vote. I would encourage party leaders to get a proxy for their MP if said MP would miss even one vote.

As for the AdHoC I'd welcome any sort of articles, just as long as that didn't involve bullying of another member etc. You can write a propaganda article about Labour and I'd accept it. Even articles on people's views of RL events like Brexit would be of interest to this house.

DMcGovern vote for me, you know you want to.

RayApparently thank you.

toronto353 Sir, I will remove the whiskey from your office by force if needs be.

Quamquam123 please tag me, really. Anyway, like I said in my manifesto, I want to give them a chance. As a dual member, I know they have potential but they need more activity and numbers.
    I would have tagged you but unfortunately my tablet doesn't let me do that.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    But surely leaders/people responsible for voting upkeep would already know that information? And yes, totally - but not everyone has your level of dedication to this place, and not every party always has people up for proxying.

My revolutionary exhortations to the populace will finally have an outlet then But seriously, how would you get it off the ground and encourage people to write articles for you to accept? Would you identify and contact people that you thought might like to write the first articles, or what?
    Need I remind you of the little mess up we had in the Libs with Toronto's seat? (Kills me to bring it up. :cry2:). People can always go to other parties - the Liberals regularly have people willing to be a proxy, I'm sure PetrosAC would agree with me. I'll safely bet that your party have a few on the side too.

Oh, come on now, I'm not the most dedicated person in the House. We all know who that is.

Excellent, I will come to you first then! Yes, I would contact people. Ray has shown himself to be a fantastic writer, I'm sure Rakas would put in a view etc. I'd mention it in the update, I would occasionally (if I had leaders' permission) post about it the subforums. It wouldn't be full on shove it down your throat you must write for me, but gentle encouragement. I view it as a long term project.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    Cheers, I appreciate the positive comment.

I'm afraid the technical details are be too complicated and boring to be disclosed at this stage (I'm lazy unless I'm hired).

However, I can describe some functionality of what I'd like to be done from the user's point of view:

1. Automated formatting and submission system – there's a page with multiple input fields representing sections, subsections, paragraphs, etc. One can add them, remove them, like in many web apps. The user puts in the data and the system spits out BBCode that can be posted to the party forum and eventually submitted to the Speaker.

2. Tracking and an always up-to-date queue – the submission is automatically taken from the Speaker's inbox along, associated with the party, and added to the queue which is public.

3. Configurable reminders reflecting the state of your submissions – the system keeps track of individual submissions and sends you a PM, an e-mail, or indeed a push notification when something happens, e.g. the vote ends in six hours and you still haven't voted.

4. Missing votes – you are also notified of your fellow slackers whom you can choose to whip into voting by sending them another reminder. This would also be handled through the API and a dedicated account.

5. Automated rolling voting review, always up-to-date and accessible online – I basically already did this so you know what to expect plus a system for keeping track of MPs, proxies, the actual spreadsheet-style visualisation, etc.

6. MHoC dashboard – one web page to rule them all and provide information like active submissions, queue, status of current votes, people who have yet to vote, etc. without having to go through it all sorts of different pages.
    This is worryingly tempting.

Who would it fall to for maintenence though? Also, would it work for proxy MPs and / or new MPs within a term.

ReputationRep:
    My question to adam9317 is how can we trust you given the state of the MEU even after months and my question to Nigel Farage MEP is why is he still here after what he told us after his resignation as UKIP leader. We aren't idiots who can't remember what happened a few days ago, you know…

Let me quote from this magnificent revelation just to freshen up our memories:

(Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    I will resign because the MHoC has became stale; I find myself doing other things in life, but that may change when the summer break starts; I sometimes feel I am alone in demanding quality output with mistakes corrected; and there is an outside world that needs exploring.
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    I am not like certain members who hang around to obsess over the pointless titles […] I look forward to enjoying fulfilling, happy domesticity with a women I met in September.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    I would have tagged you but unfortunately my tablet doesn't let me do that.
    Ah, ok. It's just for tomorrow really, I'll be a bit lightheaded after painkillers and such.

I'll be a bit lightheaded after painkillers and such.
    More than usual? :teehee:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Ah, ok. It's just for tomorrow really, I'll be a bit lightheaded after painkillers and such.
    Ok.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Hydeman)
    More than usual? :teehee:
    Imgur won't let me log on to get my ND gifs. :cry2:

Imgur won't let me log on to get my ND gifs. :cry2:
    That's unfortunate. Let's see, who else can I vote for...

Spoiler:
    Show
    I kid, of course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EricAteYou)
    This is worryingly tempting.

Who would it fall to for maintenence though? Also, would it work for proxy MPs and / or new MPs within a term.
    I can't guarantee anything but if I do this, the source will be open and if TSR changes and things break, I'm sure I'm not the only computer guy around.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    That's unfortunate. Let's see, who else can I vote for...
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I kid, of course.
    Wait a minute!

Wait a minute!

Aaaand... we're back! :woo:

Moar! Mooaar!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Aaaand... we're back! :woo:

#AirmedStrikesBack
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Aph, define 'petty issues'.
    Things like the mass PM, Toronto being used, see most of the complaints in ATS last term. The house has also started petty bickering and fruitless arguments and skull bashing which needs to stop. We are a place of debate not patronising tones and hostilities. And I will be positively heavy handed and become a dictator in seeing that happen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    Things like the mass PM, Toronto being used, see most of the complaints in ATS last term. The house has also started petty bickering and fruitless arguments and skull bashing which needs to stop. We are a place of debate not patronising tones and hostilities. And I will be positively heavy handed and become a dictator in seeing that happen.
    Perhaps you should request to have your user name changed to SJW.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    How will you distinguish between pettiness and genuine debate on constitutional matters?

Or will it just be "QUIET PEONS, THE APH HAS SPOKEN"?
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    How will you distinguish between pettiness and genuine debate on constitutional matters?

Or will it just be "QUIET PEONS, THE APH HAS SPOKEN"?
    Continuing a debate with the same arguments after a ruling has been made is petty. A constant pointless debate before the speaker has spoken is petty generally.

So anything I consider petty I will warn first and then sanction should it keep going.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 15, 2016
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.