PGDE Applications 2017 (Scotland)

Announcements Posted on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JodieL101)
    Hi! I'm applying for Strathclyde, Aberdeen, Dundee & UWS.. Unsure if I'll get accepted into Glasgow so tempted to applying to University of the Highland and islands! How are you getting on with everything?
    Please don't apply there! As a Highlander, UHI has a terrible reputation. Strathclyde's course is meant to be great though, as is UWS, not too sure about the others. Have you thought about Stirling? I hear theirs is good.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I have just sent my application for 2017 PGDE Primary away! Very exciting times!! I have been working towards this for 3 years now so fingers crossed.

I work as a support for learning worker for glasgow city council - so a teaching assistant - and got my int 2 maths a few years back. Im studying with Open Uni towards an Open Degree and my last module starts this weekend for my honours degree so hopefully if i get at least conditionals i just need to pass that module!

Providing interviews are offered I have no idea what to talk about in the presentation bit - I know Strathclyde tend to leave it open to a subject of your choosing but I'm not sure where to start! Getting ahead of myself Im sure but I like to get ahead! haha

Ive applied to glasgow, strathclyde and both campuses of UWS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShannyMorrison)
    Please don't apply there! As a Highlander, UHI has a terrible reputation. Strathclyde's course is meant to be great though, as is UWS, not too sure about the others. Have you thought about Stirling? I hear theirs is good.
    Stirling don't have a post graduate course.

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

This may be a silly question but UCAS says it doesn't open for applications until October 18th, so how are people applying already??

Sincerely,
    A very baffled person*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InkyPen24)
    Hey,

This may be a silly question but UCAS says it doesn't open for applications until October 18th, so how are people applying already??

Sincerely,
    A very baffled person*
    It opened 18th September for some reason

https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/register

Good Luck!

Laura

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing the PGDE course at Strathclyde now but in secondary (French & Spanish).

The uni and this course are absolutely amazing, the tutors are all super welcoming and I felt it had the best placement structure (I applied for Glasgow and Edinburgh as well).

Some advice:

- Get as much school experience as you can and make sure you're up to date on current issues and policy in Education (you WILL be asked about it in the interview).

- Don't worry about having just a general degree, Strathclyde look for experience over what kind of degree you have (i.e. honours or general).

- Primary is SUPER competitive, my tutors sat in on a primary interview and they said they had over 900 applicants for the course which only had space for 300.

- For your ucas reference, try and get a teacher or headteacher who knows you well to do it, they seem to quite like that.

- Make sure all your personal documentation are to hand and up to date (birth certificate, exam results, passport, driving license etc.) you'll need them for disclosure checks.

- You need to take your passport and/or driving license with your exam results, transcript and your degree to your interview as well. If you've lived abroad for more than three months you need to get a criminal record check from that country as well I had to get one from France because I lived there for a year but it's easy to do.

- The primary course is super intense as well, I have a few friends doing it at Strathclyde and Glasgow unis and they said they're always knackered but it's worth it!

If you want any info about the interview or the course let me know, my interview was different to the rest but I'm sure the questions will be similar and I can ask my friends who are doing the primary course now

ReputationRep:
    That's me just applied, fingers crossed!!

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone found filling out UCAS just a very stressful and confusing process?

I'm trying to add my degree on the Education page, but the University of St Andrews doesn't come up as an option so I've just entered it myself. Also, regarding the awarding body, surely that's just the university? I shortened it to UoSA, will that be ok? And then do you just enter all the details for every module you've ever taken?

I also can't find my GCSE and AS and A Level certificates, how important is it to get the exam boards correct?

And we only need one reference, not two like for the English teaching courses?

I'm finding the differences between the systems for PGDE and PGCE so confusing!

ReputationRep:
    I had the same issues so I entered the University myself too. I applied for the PGDE about 5 years ago and needed two references so was thoroughly confused that I only needed one this time but it's sent off now so it must be fine. Can't help with your GCSEs though - sorry. I like to think the application is the first test they're giving us 😉 Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    Anyone get an offer yet? I've applied for a PGDE Secondary English at Edinburgh, Glasgow, Strathclyde, Aberdeen and WOS. Haven't received an offer yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Busangaz)
    Anyone get an offer yet? I've applied for a PGDE Secondary English at Edinburgh, Glasgow, Strathclyde, Aberdeen and WOS. Haven't received an offer yet.
    How did you enter your degree? did you just add the university as a college?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Busangaz)
    I don't know about the others but Aberdeen often don't start interviewing until well into December so still a wee while until they'll be sending you an invite....I was given 10 days notice of my interview last year.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for everyone's advice here so far!

Do you need to put in every single one of your qualifications i.e. Standard Grades?! It was so long ago I feel a bit ridiculous including them

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I am a mature person hoping to get into teaching (50). Got Undergrad and Post Grad qualifications but need to get Higher English (Underway). As I live in the Highlands and have a family this presents a few challenges. I do have joint honours in History and Politics so I am reliably told that this is more attractive as I would be able to teach two subjects. I have only applied to Aberdeen due to travel challenges and even this will result in limited time overnight there. I have visited several schools and spoken to a wide range of teachers. I also do a lot of youth work with cadets and volunteer at a local museum so I do get to meet and interact with a lot of young people. I got the bug for teaching when we mentored each other and other students through Uni a couple of years ago. I have tried to get some PSA work but due to budget cuts and a lot of competition this is becoming a hard slog.

I have two friends that have gone through this course in Aberdeen but if anyone here has any ideas on how to be successful in the process I would be grateful.

Colin

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by version1234)
    Thank you for everyone's advice here so far!

Do you need to put in every single one of your qualifications i.e. Standard Grades?! It was so long ago I feel a bit ridiculous including them
    Sadly yes. But they will only be looking for the ones that are relevant. Have you been asked for an academic transcript yet for your degree?

Colin

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InkyPen24)
    Has anyone found filling out UCAS just a very stressful and confusing process?

I'm trying to add my degree on the Education page, but the University of St Andrews doesn't come up as an option so I've just entered it myself. Also, regarding the awarding body, surely that's just the university? I shortened it to UoSA, will that be ok? And then do you just enter all the details for every module you've ever taken?

I also can't find my GCSE and AS and A Level certificates, how important is it to get the exam boards correct?

And we only need one reference, not two like for the English teaching courses?

I'm finding the differences between the systems for PGDE and PGCE so confusing!
    I spoke to my Uni and they said that because we are applying for Post Grad courses on the Under Grad application system then most of the FE establishments will not be recorded. Manually inputting or selecting the Uni/college is considered ok. Awarding body/exam board is also your Uni.

Colin

ReputationRep:
    I only put my higher grades & University degree, i never put my standard grades and I sent my application in September, I didn't think the standard grades where relevant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShannyMorrison)
    That might be a tad harsh. UHI is the newest Uni and is still learning. The PDGE courses are also new but if you just want to qualify you might benefit from having less competition. Its only 9 months after all and you still get GTC registered. In 10 years time no-one is going to care where you qualified as you will all be on the same level.

As to the reputation - well college by college this can vary. Inverness is poor, Moray is good but Perth is shocking in my own personal experience.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Colin, did you consider the DLITE course at Aberdeen? Not sure if your council takes part, but it does mean more study at home since done over 18mnths. A friend who I met at last year's PGDE day was also from Inverness and it was the only way he could do it, and's enjoying the course.

Not sure if you went to this year's PGDE talk, I went to the open night two weeks ago and the Aberdeen Recruitment team were saying they will ONLY consider classroom time - I run two after school clubs (Science and Maths) as well as a Tawny Owl in the Brownies but none of that will be looked at, so I'm desperately trying to get some classroom time which is a nightmare as I work F/T and none of my local schools will even consider me for volunteering so the only schools that will let me volunteer are 50miles away. Applied for more PSA jobs than I can count & like you got nowhere (as I've never worked with kids, despite doing the clubs & Brownies & other assorted short term kids stuff and caring for an autistic teenage lad....nada, as all my employments have been office based.

Also, if your referee is the rector/headmaster-mistress that your volunteering at, then a higher chance of getting at least to interview stage. I bottled the interview last year as I over ran my presentation by 7secs so be brutal learning your presentation! Good luck 🙂

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GReilly)
    Hi Colin, did you consider the DLITE course at Aberdeen? Not sure if your council takes part, but it does mean more study at home since done over 18mnths. A friend who I met at last year's PGDE day was also from Inverness and it was the only way he could do it, and's enjoying the course.

Not sure if you went to this year's PGDE talk, I went to the open night two weeks ago and the Aberdeen Recruitment team were saying they will ONLY consider classroom time - I run two after school clubs (Science and Maths) as well as a Tawny Owl in the Brownies but none of that will be looked at, so I'm desperately trying to get some classroom time which is a nightmare as I work F/T and none of my local schools will even consider me for volunteering so the only schools that will let me volunteer are 50miles away. Applied for more PSA jobs than I can count & like you got nowhere (as I've never worked with kids, despite doing the clubs & Brownies & other assorted short term kids stuff and caring for an autistic teenage lad....nada, as all my employments have been office based.

Also, if your referee is the rector/headmaster-mistress that your volunteering at, then a higher chance of getting at least to interview stage. I bottled the interview last year as I over ran my presentation by 7secs so be brutal learning your presentation! Good luck 🙂
    Thanks for the heads up. I have had some class room time through school visits as a number of friends are teachers. Sadly there is only so much exposure you can get in class as a visitor though, so I am not convinced of the overall value of this. The one thing I did get from these experiences is that the vast majority of the kids are ace to work with and this reinforced my reasons for going into teaching. (Used that in my personal statement too) Its a shame that regular youth work is not being recognised as this should be some sort of proof you can work with young people. If the training is delivered to a set syllabus then this shows them you can adapt to CfE.

Sadly I missed any of the open sessions. I wish I had been more switched on to them but between working, family, volunteering and studying I find myself rather pressed for time recently.

As for the DLITE Course - this is currently only setup for Primary and I want to go Secondary so sadly this is a non starter.

The employment of PSA's is starting to feel like it is a select club. Every letter from the Council states that it is a role under resourced by male members of staff but the last three posts I have applied to have all been filled by relief staff and female. I have been waiting a month for an interview for a relief post and have almost given up.

Thanks for answering and giving the benefit of your experience - I appreciate it.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 7, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
How are you feeling about doing A-levels?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.