Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    That's also called not voting
    Well then so be it! I just feel that if you don’t vote even though you have the right to, it’s almost offensive to those who can’t and would love to be able to.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in camp out - lets bring back power to England, It may wipe out 40% of our exports, which i doubt anyway but I do not want to send £33M a day to a a bureaucratic leadership which includes bankers. Immigration is also to high, I realise that some jobs to Rely on the EU but the money we save we can re-invest in infra-structure creating new jobs and with immigration going down their will be less competition for British People when applying for a job- there is also a better chance of getting a higher paid job as EU imports work for anything you will pay them. Not to mention the housing which would be cheaper to buy with lower levels of immigration- no one can argue with that.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByEeek)
    Exactly. And why risk that with a leap into the unknown? Clearly, being in Europe has not been the ball and chain to our economy as the out campaign would like us to think. If we were the 100th biggest economy, leaving the EU might be a good way of improving our lot. But right now, we only stand to lose what has been hard fought for surely?

And BTW - the UK is not the second military power in the world. Depending on how you judge it, China, Russia, India, France, Japan, Italy, South Korea and of course, the US are all strong contenders.
    Which seems to show a severe lack of understanding why we are #5, most importantly you might have learnt about this thing called the British Empire, a thing that existed long before the EU and propelled our economy forwards, along with technological innovations, ummm, a few centuries ago. I would also like to remind you that this is not a vote on leaving Europe, it is a vote on leaving the EU, two distinctly different things.

In basically no measure could Japan, Italy, or Korea contend and there is far more to military might than straight up spending, arguably the ability to project that force is more important. The forces are qualitatively better than those of China, India, and Russia and force projection capabilities are far greater than France, China, or India. To include the US on the list of nations that could also take second would suggest you think somebody other than the US should be ranked as #1, pray tell who?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Which seems to show a severe lack of understanding why we are #5, most importantly you might have learnt about this thing called the British Empire, a thing that existed long before the EU and propelled our economy forwards, along with technological innovations, ummm, a few centuries ago. I would also like to remind you that this is not a vote on leaving Europe, it is a vote on leaving the EU, two distinctly different things.
    And this is precisely why I fear an out vote. That those voting to leave are looking though rose tinted spectacles whilst harking back to the days of empire and Cider with Rose. The empire ended long ago. We are no longer an empire. If we are to get ahead in this world, it is going to be through cooperation and alliance, not through arrogant dictats and the assumption that people will be begging us for our trade.

But I am sure you know best.

ReputationRep:
    ...not through arrogant dictats.
    How ironic that this should be used as an argument to remain in a political union where an unelected commission is the only part that can propose law, and the commissioners of which produce such choice quotes as "When it becomes serious, you have to lie.", "Of course there will be transfers of sovereignty. But would I be intelligent to draw the attention of [the British] public opinion to this fact?,” and "If it's a Yes, we will say 'on we go', and if it's a No we will say 'we continue’,”.

Im not going to vote because i have 2 exams the next day! So wont have time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ayaz789)
    Im not going to vote because i have 2 exams the next day! So wont have time
    How would you have voted?

(Original post by EuanF)
    How would you have voted?
    What do you mean how? I turn 18 on first week of June

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean how? I turn 18 on first week of June
    As in, which way would you have voted

(Original post by EuanF)
    As in, which way would you have voted
    Havent decided yet!

ReputationRep:
    Havent decided yet!
    Don't suppose you have to

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arkasia)
    Anyone who is eligible to vote but still doesn't should be ashamed of themselves.
    Oh, please. You've no business telling people what to do.

I'm not voting, I'm personally morally opposed to voting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhisperingTide)
    I'm not voting, I'm personally morally opposed to voting.
    Would you like to explain why you're opposed to voting? You've got a few thousand years of good reasoning on why to vote to argue against here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EuanF)
    Would you like to explain why you're opposed to voting? You've got a few thousand years of good reasoning on why to vote to argue against here.
    I'm not looking for an argument, I have my opinion and you have your own. It is very unlikely anything will change.

Anyway, if you really wanna know, it stems from a few different things.

Firstly, when we vote, I personally feel like we are effectively saying: "My opinion on X issue is so right, I want it to be enforced by threat of violence and be the law of the land!" We are making a decision to impact, however small an impact, an event which effects everybody, while believing we are so very 'right' to do so.

Secondly, I am opposed to our entire political system; I think it's outdated. In a similar way to which the law seems to be consistently 4 steps behind technology.

Thirdly, I don't like the idea of people having power to make decisions on topics that they are no educated on. How many MP's do you think are qualified to actually make decisions on how science is funded? What's taught in schools? What Global Warming actually is and how it can be / should be dealt with?

As an example; I don't believe old lady Patterson from down the street should have any say on anything concerning our educational system unless she is involved in it, either was a teacher, student or potential employer in a relevant sector.
    I would much prefer a system in-which decisions are made in a more 'modular' way; those who are educated in a sector make decisions concerning it, for instance, students, teachers, employers and economists being able to vote on decisions concerning the educational sector, as opposed to it being open for the general public to elect a party for X reason, that coincidentally want to do Y to the educational system.
    For much the same reason I find it absurd that I have the power to vote on our status within the EU. I have absolutely no idea of the far reaching consequences, and I believe almost nobody on here does (though a lot probably think they do) as it's not my job, nor something I have ever studied in depth, so I find it frankly irresponsible that I have been given any voice on that subject.
    Effectively I don't value public opinion in the slightest, because it is largely uneducated. I'm not saying the public are uneducated, but that it is virtually impossible to fully understand so many different aspects of society, that giving everybody a say on every aspect is like thinking everybody in a hotel knows how to do every job in said hotel.

ReputationRep:
    my current view is that I won't vote; I think both sides are so god awful and talk so much utter nonsense that dignifying either of them with my vote is an insult to my own ability to think critically.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EuanF)
    How ironic that this should be used as an argument to remain in a political union where an unelected commission is the only part that can propose law
    And how ironic that you cite a lack of democracy as a reason for leaving when we have an unelected upper house, a hereditary head of state and dozens and dozens of quangos and other unelected officials influencing the way we live. Yet we don't hear a ground movement of protest against that.

(Original post by Arkasia)
    Well as a voter it is your duty to be informed, so fair enough if you feel you haven't yet reached the stage where you are confident. Studying the claims of both sides should be enough to see which you feel applies more strongly to yourself and your own views on the matter. Even if it's just one point that sways you - it's enough to enable you to vote, even if either option doesn't fill you with confidence. Even then, you can spoil your vote during the referendum, which is better than simply not turning up on the day.
    To be fair the whole thing is a rat's nest, and there doesn't actually seem to be a right answer. Each side had its pros and cons.

If there's a reason why I'd personally be tempted to not vote, it would be that I'm bored rigid with people openly telling me who to vote for - be it in the media, or on Facebook, or posts on here.

Democracy is a crock of **** anyway.

ReputationRep:
    And how ironic that you cite a lack of democracy as a reason for leaving when we have an unelected upper house, a hereditary head of state and dozens and dozens of quangos and other unelected officials influencing the way we live. Yet we don't hear a ground movement of protest against that.
    Moving the goalposts. Our poor democracy doesn't excuse the EU's anti-democracy. Once we leave the EU, we can focus on improving our own democracy and moving to a Swiss-style direct democracy.

Still, don't use this argument. It isn't pertinent to the issue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NotNotBatman)
    I've got exams to focus on. We're going to remain in the EU anyway.
    Lol preach! No matter what we end up voting, we're going to stay in the EU regardless. Personally I'm voting to stay in because it's the safer option for now but I don't feel educated enough on the matter because everything is so biased!!

(Original post by WalkingAbortion)
    my current view is that I won't vote; I think both sides are so god awful and talk so much utter nonsense that dignifying either of them with my vote is an insult to my own ability to think critically.
    Surely you vote for the proposition and not for the people campaigning?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.