Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jeff548.)
    Everyone saying that revising more would have made no difference...

Ok. Try that out. I think we should compare people who have revised and those who haven't and see who has done better. If you fail to prepare, then prepare to fail.

You need to answer the question: Why did some people find the exam fine then?

They had the SAME resources near enough as you guys. Why are you all so so concerned. I am scared for my grades but I'm not this scared! Whatever you get you get. Whatever you've done, you've done.

What do you guys want me to say? The SQA literally told you guys to **** off. I'll be honest I did laugh at their reply as the petition is now pointless.

My point in the other thread states that I believe the english exam was fair but a few people were exaggerating the difficulty of the exam and 9000 others agreed so I signed to further my cause for an A hopefully, I am already confident but I did mess up the close reading badly which is a shame but what can you do. It is done. You can do nothing. If you've failed in terms of the content you produced in the exam then you've failed. You cannot do anything. Nothing. Absolutely nothing. So stop having a go because I did expect the SQA to at least investigate or something but they literally said too **** off so...
    If you believed the exam was fair then why did you beg me to start the petition for CfE Higher English?

In regards to people being sick of petitions, I started the higher english petition (for the record that was the first petition and all the others came after it and I suspect for some, some people were just acting it hence they didn't actually use a their real name for the petition) because I believed there was a case to be made regarding the english exam. I know how the grade boundaries are set and all that and when people keep saying that is all the petition is about it is quite evident they didn't bother reading it. The petition was about the SQA taking action in regard to the case made when they were marking the exam and not just when they set the grade boundaries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TartanGibby)
    The petition was about the SQA taking action in regard to the case made when they were marking the exam and not just when they set the grade boundaries.
    What? Do you want them to just add on 10 marks to your total because in your opinion you were worse off because the SQA changed the papers a month beforehand and told you? When that shouldn't have mattered anyway if you had properly prepared? It is a better option to change boundaries than just add marks onto candidates results.
    Or were you hoping that maybe some markers would take pity and just mark some wrong answers right for you?

I maintain my point about about the Reading for UAE paper in that everything it asked was to the right standard. The only thing wrong with it was the writer of the second passage, who turned out to be even more of a b**** than her piece showed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PTS_99)
    What? Do you want them to just add on 10 marks to your total because in your opinion you were worse off because the SQA changed the papers a month beforehand and told you? When that shouldn't have mattered anyway if you had properly prepared? It is a better option to change boundaries than just add marks onto candidates results.
    Or were you hoping that maybe some markers would take pity and just mark some wrong answers right for you?

I maintain my point about about the Reading for UAE paper in that everything it asked was to the right standard. The only thing wrong with it was the writer of the second passage, who turned out to be even more of a b**** than her piece showed.
    The idea that the SQA told us is false, I saw nowhere them letting us know at the time they changed it but what I did see was less than 48 hours before the exam, it was being reported about a leak and changes made, if they had let us know at the time of the change instead of less than 48 hours before the exam then people wouldn't of had additional stress and worry forced upon them.

I prepared for the exam to the best of my ability but what we are asking for is perhaps more lenient marking considering the circumstances we were put under and if you read the comments of the petition, you will see that many people felt there were questions that they had not covered.

As I stated previously, I created the petition because I believed there was a case to be made about the exam to the SQA but in regard to other petitions, I didn't sit the exams that are also being petitioned but I believe in some (not all) cases that people are just starting petitions for the sake of it. I didn't just create one for the sake of it and in fact people were asking me to create the petition.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Guys, the whole point of this thread was to highlight the pointless nature of the petitions. Youse can argue amongst yourself all you want but it doesn't change the fact that the SQA don't give a flying ****.

So anyone reading this STOP with the petitions and if an exam goes good, bad, ok move on and focus on something else.

ReputationRep:
    i can understand why some people are starting a petition
    ofc your results are important, your future is important
    but, no matter how hard the paper is,
    only 20-25% people will get an A
    that means,the grade boundary will be adjusted.
    if the paper is hard, fine, the grade boundary will be lowered.
    if the paper is easy, that doesnt mean you will automatically achieve an A (just check the ah maths thread
    i know it can be stressful around exam time,especially for those who needs certain grades to get into uni/college.but, there is nothing you can do after the exam
    i completely agree with zain
    move on guys and wait until result day if you don't think what you've got is fair
    ask for re-mark/re-count of marks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TartanGibby)
    The idea that the SQA told us is false, I saw nowhere them letting us know at the time they changed it but what I did see was less than 48 hours before the exam, it was being reported about a leak and changes made, if they had let us know at the time of the change instead of less than 48 hours before the exam then people wouldn't of had additional stress and worry forced upon them.

I prepared for the exam to the best of my ability but what we are asking for is perhaps more lenient marking considering the circumstances we were put under and if you read the comments of the petition, you will see that many people felt there were questions that they had not covered.

As I stated previously, I created the petition because I believed there was a case to be made about the exam to the SQA but in regard to other petitions, I didn't sit the exams that are also being petitioned but I believe in some (not all) cases that people are just starting petitions for the sake of it. I didn't just create one for the sake of it and in fact people were asking me to create the petition.
    Ok, my fault I didn't fully clarify that in my post. My point is though that a change of paper shouldn't have affected your performance in it. You never saw the original paper so you don't know what questions would have been asked. I recognise that this change did concern a lot of people (I was at first too) and cause stress, and this type of thing should cause concern. But people were stressed for the wrong reasons, they were stressed because they had "predictions" and had been revising according to them, that to me is not the SQA's fault.

Again, I have already said that it is better for everybody to mark according to the paper's instructions as markers do every year and change the boundaries to match the results gotten. "Lenient marking" wouldn't then make for a true representation of what we are capable of, and grades might even come down to what mood your marker is in. You might argue that, but I ask you how 'lenient' you would be after marking hundreds of papers.

If I remember correctly people were very upset about the last question of the RUAE paper. Both tone and contrast are part of the course, they also make up a rather detailed section of the Hodder Gibson How to Pass book for CfE H English and probably others too (that was the only book I had access to) and it was something my teacher (and the rest in the department) covered during class time. These are also things that can be transferred from the Set Text part of the course depending on the text you studied. If you had not been made aware of these techniques before seeing this question in the exam, then please speak to your teacher and head of department. Improper preparation (either with a teacher in class or on your own) is not the SQA's fault or a good enough excuse to try and force changes in grade boundaries.

I don't think people are making petitions off the back of yours (sorry about that), I believe that these petitions are off the back of the Higher Maths one last year, they saw it and they thought it was what made the pass mark fall to 35% and they think they can do the same this year. I was there (or was at least reading with intent) in the Higher English thread when everybody was indeed asking - in some cases actually begging - you to make a petition, I never questioned that at all. I never doubt that you believe in your reasoning behind making the petition, because in your position I would too.

ReputationRep:
    i don't think sqa will allow what happened last year to happen again. seriously.
    if you look at this year's maths paper, the sqa has been really careful and the level of difficulty is GREATLY reduced.
    good luck to those who still have exams..
    hope you achieve tons of As...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Junioh)
    i don't think sqa will allow what happened last year to happen again. seriously.
    if you look at this year's maths paper, the sqa has been really careful and the level of difficulty is GREATLY reduced.
    good luck to those who still have exams..
    hope you achieve tons of As...
    Yeah Higher Maths was a lot easier (in terms of H Maths) than last years, I'm just hoping that the boundaries don't go up too far...

There seems to be a lot of 'discussions' here, which is good as it gets it out people's systems. Each person has their own opinion and everyone should have the dignity to respect one's opinion.

Now, on to the question asked by OP. This is my last year of SQA exams. I sat the 'impossible' higher maths exam last year. This exam was the trigger for this somewhat delusional trend, Petitions. Whether or not we want to let our feelings be heard about a paper is up to an individual. The exam board is not a democracy in which, if enough candidates protest, grade boundaries can be lowered and exams made easier. It was not, is not and never will be influenced by ANY external forces other than politicians and I sure am glad that's the case. Over nearly the past two decades exams have seen a drop in difficulty, my view of this is that it is because of politicians but that is a discussion for another time. The SQA know this and are attempting to stop or even to some extent reverse this decline. Take a look at past papers for any of your subjects and compare the 1996 paper to the 2015. It's clear to see and anyone who denies this is delusional. SQA have a standard to uphold, even if it's on the decline, and the qualifications SHOULD BE difficult for the vast majority of candidates. Unfortunately we live in a society which has diminished the young populations exposure to difficult things and thereby the tools necessary to deal with them.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah Higher Maths was a lot easier (in terms of H Maths) than last years, I'm just hoping that the boundaries don't go up too far...
    ive not seen the h maths paper,
    but after that exam last year,
    the sqa had to make the h maths exam easy
    you see, at the end of the day,
    an easy exam is worrying too....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Junioh)
    ive not seen the h maths paper,
    but after that exam last year,
    the sqa had to make the h maths exam easy
    you see, at the end of the day,
    an easy exam is worrying too....
    Yep, it certainly is.
    You are a wise person indeed, I would rep you but apparently I can't rep the same person twice or something.

ReputationRep:
    I too feel anger for the people who campaign for change. I mean, is there anything wrong with our current society?
    (Sarcasm)

ReputationRep:
    Yep, it certainly is.
    You are a wise person indeed, I would rep you but apparently I can't rep the same person twice or something.
    cheers

ReputationRep:
    People have become so fickle expecting exams to be easy, even last years higher maths exam was fairly easy apart from the crocodile question but there was a piss easy 5 marker on evaluating 2 limits and making a conclusion and an 8 marker on integrating to finding the area, i would have rather sat last years higher maths due to the absurd drop in grade boundaries, now everyone expects the SQA to do the same whenever they see a hard question in an exam regardless if the rest of the paper was easy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Caecillius_99)
    People have become so fickle expecting exams to be easy, even last years higher maths exam was fairly easy apart from the crocodile question but there was a piss easy 5 marker on evaluating 2 limits and making a conclusion and an 8 marker on integrating to finding the area, i would have rather sat last years higher maths due to the absurd drop in grade boundaries, now everyone expects the SQA to do the same whenever they see a hard question in an exam regardless if the rest of the paper was easy
    Paper 2 maths last year was easy, It was paper 1 most people struggled with, The grade boundaries didn't drop because we asked them too, they dropped because the paper was genuinely hard.

They set the grade boundaries after marking, so if an exam this year was easy they should rightly go up, it it was hard they should rightly go down.

ReputationRep:
    i'm kind of annoyed by all the people running straight to the petition
    i revised for my n5 maths exam, and, while i did find paper 1 a bit harder than the past papers i'd done, and despite me struggling with a few questions, and probably getting one or two of them completely wrong, none of the questions weren't things covered in the course, and, especially after paper 2 (which was hilariously easy, i might add), i'm confident that i'll get an A

even if, somehow, paper 1 actually was unfair, that would be reflected in the grade boundaries being lowered, meaning that the petition is just a waste of everybody's time, so that people that failed can feel good about themselves rather than facing the fact that they simply have not done enough revision

i feel almost like all the people signing the petition are just trying to make up for their, or their child's, lack of revision/effort

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.