I think this is all BS.
    Don't let the haters stop you from doing your thang

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mariam687)
    he seems nice by the looks of it

i think you should accept the proposal

and plus, your mum wants you to
    and mums know best
    Not like the mums going to live with them so how can she know the guy will be good for her daughter, if the op isn't happy she should refuse.

ReputationRep:
    Dump him and give him to me OP.

This literally sounds like something out of a movie. Gimme.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chikane)
    Not like the mums going to live with them so how can she know the guy will be good for her daughter, if the op isn't happy she should refuse.

im just giving my own advice, thats all

not making her follow it

ReputationRep:
    Er, I think you are too young to be making this kind of decision. You don't say anything about your education or your career, other than that you are a ballet dancer. Are you studying ballet at a high level, do you intend to make this your profession?

I think it would be sensible to complete your studies, and then look at this issue again.

As to what you say about "wealthy". I am finding it hard to understand how someone can describe themselves/family as wealthy, but then the family seems to slip into disarray (financially) when the main income disappears. I think this indicates you could live within your means, rather than actually being wealthy.

Either that, or your dad made some very poor decisions about financial planning during his lifetime.

One thing to remember, you are not on this planet to provide financial support for your family - you have your own life to live. Marrying someone you seem to know nothing about in order to support your family doesn't seem like a very good idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by harlowberry)
    This is long but I really need some help.I'm 19 years old and the man who has asked me to marry him is 29. I have 3 sisters (I'm second youngest) and we come from a wealthy(ish) family. My dad was a lawyer who was wealthy whereas my mum's a school teacher. When I was 16 years old my parents threw a dinner party and their friend brought his son(he was 26 at the time)and they're also a wealthy family. The son is very tall and good-looking but he's very mysterious which makes him quite attractive.We'd just have small talk.6 months after this my dad passed away.I had no one to talk to until I went to my dad's funeral where I saw the son again. He talked to me and made sure that I was okay and he tried to cheer me up,reassure me and take me on walks. My mum could see this,so she invited him and his family over weekly for dinner.I'm a ballet dancer and as most of the money came from our dad, by the time I was 17 we couldn't pay for my classes.He offered to pay them for me (I said no) but he just gave my family the money.We always used to talk by the rose bush in my garden and then one day he kissed me.We never dated;he'd always protect me and look after me.sometimes when I see him I get scared he'll take advantage of me-he wouldn't, but he's so secretive.3 days ago at dinner,he proposed to me.I just said"give me time to think."Mum keeps on pestering me to say yes and my friends too! They think I should marry him (because he's rich) but I don't want to marry because of that!Do you think I should marry him based on what I've told you?Thank you
    Well really only marry him if you know you'll have a good relationship
    Answer this question do you have feelings for him, or know they'll definitely develop?

ReputationRep:
    before u say 'yes or no' think about ur future and ur feeling to this man :/

actually, marriage is some sacrifice

ReputationRep:
    If you marry this man, you should probably start enunciating the silent 't' in your forename.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Umm I'd advise against it

As nice as he sounds, this kind of age gap is huge! Remember he's got nothing to lose as he's going into the settling down period of his life but you've still got your whole life to live :yep:

ReputationRep:
    This is long but I really need some help.I'm 19 years old and the man who has asked me to marry him is 29. I have 3 sisters (I'm second youngest) and we come from a wealthy(ish) family. My dad was a lawyer who was wealthy whereas my mum's a school teacher. When I was 16 years old my parents threw a dinner party and their friend brought his son(he was 26 at the time)and they're also a wealthy family. The son is very tall and good-looking but he's very mysterious which makes him quite attractive.We'd just have small talk.6 months after this my dad passed away.I had no one to talk to until I went to my dad's funeral where I saw the son again. He talked to me and made sure that I was okay and he tried to cheer me up,reassure me and take me on walks. My mum could see this,so she invited him and his family over weekly for dinner.I'm a ballet dancer and as most of the money came from our dad, by the time I was 17 we couldn't pay for my classes.He offered to pay them for me (I said no) but he just gave my family the money.We always used to talk by the rose bush in my garden and then one day he kissed me.We never dated;he'd always protect me and look after me.sometimes when I see him I get scared he'll take advantage of me-he wouldn't, but he's so secretive.3 days ago at dinner,he proposed to me.I just said"give me time to think."Mum keeps on pestering me to say yes and my friends too! They think I should marry him (because he's rich) but I don't want to marry because of that!Do you think I should marry him based on what I've told you?Thank you
    I don't think you should marry him yet. The fact that your asking us shows you don't want to either. That doesn't mean you can date him. date him for a while and then see. You say he's quite mysterious so you might want to find out more about him before you dedicate the rest of your life to him. there is no harm in dating him and seeing where it goes, you learn a lot more about a person when you have been dating then than you do as friends and if he refuses that then he's probably not someone you want to marry. do what you think is right and don't let anyone make that decision for you. Good luck
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Inazuma)
    Dump him and give him to me OP.

This literally sounds like something out of a movie. Gimme.
    Would you marry him in the same circs?

ReputationRep:
    So... correct me if I'm wrong, your parents want you to marry him, while you're questioning whether you should marry him or not. This should be an inclination of NO, you shouldn't marry him since you'll live with the fact that you married him due to his wealth and not out of the unquestionable factor of what a successful marriage should have - Love

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Would you marry him in the same circs?
    Would have to take into account more factors, but I'd probs be quite reluctant at 19 ...
    Probably would on impulse tbh

ReputationRep:
    It really doesn't seem like you love him or know him at all. Plus, the age gap is massive, it doesn't seem that big but it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sell my secrets)
    Even if you do decide to marry him, definitely do not do it on the back of this advice.
    :rofl: genuinely can't tell if this sort of thread is a troll or people are thick enough to think like this.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    ...no!

Sorry I didn't read your post at all, because well, if you have to ask the internet if you should marry someone...well don't you think that says it all?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mariam687)

and plus, your mum wants you to
    and mums know best
    Because no mom has ever married off her daughter, ever.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 17, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.