The Ultimate Maths Competition Thread

Announcements

ReputationRep:

Try this one as well. I've just solved it and it's a beauty.

Let ABC be an acute-angled triangle and let D, E be the feet of the perpendiculars from A, B to BC, CA respectively. Let P be the point where the line AD meets the semicircle constructed outwardly on BC, and Q be the point where the line BE meets the semicircle constructed outwardly on AC. Prove that CP = CQ.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maths465Man)
    I got a nice solution to this question earlier.

ABCD is a rectangle, P is the midpoint of AB, and Q is the point on PD such that CQ is perpendicular to PD. Prove that triangle BQC is isosceles.
    ok I'll have a look

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renzhi10122)
    Most definitely not. Go on 'the' IMO website, not the indian version for it. Basically, you have to be a citizen in the country you want to represent, or have studied for 3 years there. The indian one was for indian students, hence why they say that.
    I see. And people of all ages can participate?

ReputationRep:

Try this one as well. I've just solved it and it's a beauty.

Let ABC be an acute-angled triangle and let D, E be the feet of the perpendiculars from A, B to BC, CA respectively. Let P be the point where the line AD meets the semicircle constructed outwardly on BC, and Q be the point where the line BE meets the semicircle constructed outwardly on AC. Prove that CP = CQ.
    Could you give me a hint

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wolfram Alpha)
    I see. And people of all ages can participate?
    Those less than 19 and not entered tertiary education

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering, what are the average thresholds for Gold, Silver and Bronze in BMO1 ( i know last year's ones but Im interested in an average) and what is the average mark required in Maclaurin for medal/book prize? Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ben167)
    Just wondering, what are the average thresholds for Gold, Silver and Bronze in BMO1 ( i know last year's ones but Im interested in an average) and what is the average mark required in Maclaurin for medal/book prize? Thank you
    For bmo1 it jumps up and down tbh and i cnt find anywhere where all the boundaries are given. For gold try get 50+ is the only aim.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ok thank you. Is it the same for Maclaurin?
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    For bmo1 it jumps up and down tbh and i cnt find anywhere where all the boundaries are given. For gold try get 50+ is the only aim.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 11234)
    Could you give me a hint
    Have you drawn the diagram correctly?

ReputationRep:
    Ok, I've realised we shouldn't discuss the BMO1 or BMO2 questions here on this thread as the UKMT don't want solutions to be published. From now on, we shouldn't discuss BMO solutions to problems.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, I've realised we shouldn't discuss the BMO1 or BMO2 questions here on this thread as the UKMT don't want solutions to be published. From now on, we shouldn't discuss BMO solutions to problems.
    I am sure you can discuss questions just don't write up a solutions bank.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    I am sure you can discuss questions just don't write up a solutions bank.
    So is it ok if I post a solution to this thread?

ReputationRep:
    So is it ok if I post a solution to this thread?
    i guess so well i ain't sure you can probably email geoff smith or something and ask him if discussing the problems and sharing each others solutions is ok. the latter is the only thing that might bother them although I did it all this year with BMO1 and BMO2 threads.

ReputationRep:
    Approximately how many points do you need in Maclaurin to get into the summer school?

ReputationRep:
    What sections of the AoPS website are useful for preparing for BMO1, BMO2, IMO etc?

ReputationRep:
    What did you get on IMOK this year?
    What sections of the AoPS website are useful for preparing for BMO1, BMO2, IMO etc?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ben167)
    What did you get on IMOK this year?
    60 on the Hamilton

ReputationRep:
    I found this great PDF on preparing for Olympiads

http://www.cmi.ac.in/~vipul/olymp_re...rolympiads.pdf

ReputationRep:
    Wow thats insane! I screwed up and got 33 on it
    60 on the Hamilton

ReputationRep:
    Right lets keep this thread lively.

If m and n are relatively prime odd integers find the greatest common divisor of 5^m+7^m and 5^n and 7^n

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 3, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
What is your favourite day of the week
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.