Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do Remain voters try to justify the undemocratic nature of the EU? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gladders)
    You mean the one where he secured the UK's opt-out from any future integration it doesn't what to get involved in? Sounds pretty awesome to me.

'Take your ball, go home and sulk' is more like it.

Anyway, the UK has been at the forefront of European reform. The Single European Act was pretty much Thatcher's brainchild. And with every new Treaty, the powers of the elected Parliament grew and grew.
    Wow, what a great deal.

Tell me what else he achieved that he doesn't require 27 others' consent to implement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BaronK)
    Wow, what a great deal.

Tell me what else he achieved that he doesn't require 27 others' consent.
    Oh, I'm sorry, I thought the Brexit campaign was all in favour of countries have sovereignty and not being told what to do by the rest :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    You mean the one where he secured the UK's opt-out from any future integration it doesn't what to get involved in? Sounds pretty awesome to me.

'Take your ball, go home and sulk' is more like it.

Anyway, the UK has been at the forefront of European reform. The Single European Act was pretty much Thatcher's brainchild. And with every new Treaty, the powers of the elected Parliament grew and grew.
    They didn't even give us our veto when we asked for it. Why would they ever reform, especially without the threat of a Brexit?

ReputationRep:
    I thought you said only the Commission has legislative initiative? :curious:
    Slip up, thought you were talking about our single representative on the Commission

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EuanF)
    They didn't even give us our veto when we asked for it. Why would they ever reform, especially without the threat of a Brexit?
    What veto should we have? A veto over the entire European project? You mean the UK should have the power to block what the rest of the EU wants to do? Can't you see how unreasonable and hypocritical that is?

ReputationRep:
    What veto should we have? A veto over the entire European project? You mean the UK should have the power to block what the rest of the EU wants to do? Can't you see how unreasonable and hypocritical that is?
    How hypocritical of us to want to be able to tell other countries "No, you are not allowed to do this to us."

In other news, gladders confirms that consent really isnt neccessary in sex - it's unreasonable and hypocritical to try and say you don't want to get chained up and gagged after consenting to a quickie thirty years ago.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EuanF)
    How hypocritical of us to want to be able to tell other countries "No, you are not allowed to do this to us."

In other news, gladders confirms that consent really isnt neccessary in sex - it's unreasonable and hypocritical to try and say you don't want to get chained up and gagged after consenting to a quickie thirty years ago.
    What in the name of blithering hell are you talking about? We signed up to the EU Treaties knowing full well - and for the sake of the Single Market - that you have to share some power to gain power. What you're proposing is the destruction of that basis, and with it, the end of the Single Market.

If we got a veto, how long until France demands one?

And Spain? And Lithuania? And Poland?

And with that, the Single Market is gone.

Nice one.

ReputationRep:
    God forbid someone stands in the way of further integration.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BaronK)
    God forbid someone stands in the way of further integration.
    If the rest of the EU Member States want to integrate further, what right do we have to stop them? Fact is, the Prime Minister got the best of both worlds - we can't stop them, and they can't make us.

Brexiters want to have their cake and eat it, too!

ReputationRep:
    If the rest of the EU Member States want to integrate further, what right do we have to stop them? Fact is, the Prime Minister got the best of both worlds - we can't stop them, and they can't make us.

Brexiters want to have their cake and eat it, too!
    Oh no I agree. I have longed for the day where Europe is a single country. The fact it is taking so long is very frustrating.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EuanF)
    Every country within the EU has this "problem".

Every county in the UK has this problem.

"I didn't get my will so I am throwing a tantrum" - EuanF 2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inhuman)
    Every county in the UK has this problem.
    Nope - have you never heard of redress of greivance? Why do you think we elect MPs?

Every country within the EU has this "problem".
    Yep, which is why The Netherlands, Poland, Hungary etc are all also sore for a veto.

"I didn't get my will so I am throwing a tantrum" - EuanF 2016
    "I actively enjoy people coming to my house and taking my car." - Some beta, 2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EuanF)
    Nope - have you never heard of redress of greivance? Why do you think we elect MPs?

Yep, which is why The Netherlands, Poland, Hungary etc are all also sore for a visa.

"I actively enjoy people coming to my house and taking my car." - Some beta, 2016
    Do MPs have vetos?

Visa?

That is relevant to the discussion how? Oh wait, of course the EU means more immigrants and immigrants means your car gets stolen. And of course a "beta" is happy about that. It's almost as if you are a troll, trying to get people to vote Remain by making Leave supporters look absolutely ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    Oh wait, of course the EU means more immigrants and immigrants means your car gets stolen.
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

this amount of projection, incredible

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EuanF)
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

this amount of projection, incredible
    Do you now see what an objective person thinks when he sees your posts?

Good.

ReputationRep:
    Do you now see what an objective person thinks when he sees your posts?

Good.
    A person with delusions of grandeur and no ability to read between the lines :laugh:

It was clearly rhetorical lmao

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EuanF)
    A person with delusions of grandeur and no ability to read between the lines :laugh:

It was clearly rhetorical lmao
    Coming from you?

That's rather ironic.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.