Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beth.leighfield)
    What did people write for the 8 marker, question 3b?
    Only had a few minutes so it was quite brief, mentioned hydrographs (show rainfall and lag time/distcharge, land use (e.g. concrete) and pictures of the basins/rivers as they could show the relief/geology

ReputationRep:
    What did people put for the negative perceptions question?

ReputationRep:
    I struggled with question 2b, I had no idea what it was asking me to do. Anyone else have this problem?

ReputationRep:
    Any predictions for G2 guys?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam1875)
    Any predictions for G2 guys?
    I didn't really know what to write..
    But i included Boscastle and the UK.

Spoke about farming (so the farmers view) loss of income affecting economic impacts and also food production

Spoke about businesses and housing in Boscastle.. etc.

ReputationRep:
    i can tell you that g 2 is defo on population and sttlement hahaha
    g1 is more difficult to guess as there is 2 options
    defo climate
    then either tec or hydro or both

ReputationRep:
    I put about different groups, like local communities in boscatle would perceive as negative from past experiences, I said about government would perceive them as negative as they cause economic loss etc.
    What did people put for strengths and weaknesses of a tectonic management?? I think Ive messed that up

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got anything from the strengths and weaknesses of tectonic management?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mollyn98)
    I talked about aseismic building design. So that's like earthquake-proof buildings.I remember writing about computer controlled counterweights on top of buildings moving to the opposite sides to counteract the shaking, rubber shock absorbers at the base and eccentric cross bracings.
    Strengths is stuff like, the cross bracings makes the building more ductile, but weaknesses for all is that they're expensive but some cheaper and more effective than others. Another weakness is that the computer controlled counterweight relies and power and in most cases, power is lost during an earthquake.
    As the main weakness is expense, LEDCs obviously can't afford this type of technology so instead they can build houses out of lightweight cheap materials such as recycled plastic bottles and daub. So when the houses fall on top of them, they probs won't die like you would if a tonne of concrete falls on your head

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam1875)
    I talked about aseismic building design. So that's like earthquake-proof buildings.I remember writing about computer controlled counterweights on top of buildings moving to the opposite sides to counteract the shaking, rubber shock absorbers at the base and eccentric cross bracings.
    Strengths is stuff like, the cross bracings makes the building more ductile, but weaknesses for all is that they're expensive but some cheaper and more effective than others. Another weakness is that the computer controlled counterweight relies and power and in most cases, power is lost during an earthquake.
    As the main weakness is expense, LEDCs obviously can't afford this type of technology so instead they can build houses out of lightweight cheap materials such as recycled plastic bottles and daub. So when the houses fall on top of them, they probs won't die like you would if a tonne of concrete falls on your head
    That's a good one! I messed up and panicked and wrote about a more accurate warning system
    Strengths being it would save lives as areas could be evacuated, it can show how long you got before it becomes a hazard
    Weaknesses I wrote about being costly, not all countries can afford it, data may be mis interpretated.
    Hope I've winged enough not to get level 1, only time will tell

ReputationRep:
    That's a good one! I messed up and panicked and wrote about a more accurate warning system
    Strengths being it would save lives as areas could be evacuated, it can show how long you got before it becomes a hazard
    Weaknesses I wrote about being costly, not all countries can afford it, data may be mis interpretated.
    Hope I've winged enough not to get level 1, only time will tell
    Warning system is deffo management so that's fine. And yeah, tell me about it, I panicked as soon as I opened the paper. Any other questions to discuss? xD

ReputationRep:
    I told about mitigation strategy wit reference to Montserrat eruption. Said about evacuation of people and creating of exclusive zone with strengths - reducing number of people deaths and weaknesses - 2/3 of the island together with capital city was abandoned. Then I've made general overview of the strategy and compared it's effectiveness in MEDCs and LEDCs with references to Park's model

ReputationRep:
    I did evacuation, strengths being it allows people to prepare and save/protect their most valuable possessions as well as obviously saving lives. Negatives are that it costs alot of time/effort/money to evacuate and causes stress especially if the event e.g. volcanic eruption does not occur, also leads to crime such as burglary and damage in the lawless area thats fully evacuated. Also some old and or skeptical people will not evacuate meaning they might die anyway. Examples included area surrounding Mt St Helens 1980 and Mt Etna, Sicily evaucations

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hydorh)
    I struggled with question 2b, I had no idea what it was asking me to do. Anyone else have this problem?
    I put that vulnerable groups such as disabled, elderly, small children will have the most negative perception, other groups I put included some business owners and people with houses in the area as the value of homes would fall and home insurance premiums would rise.

ReputationRep:
    The paper did knock me side ways at first! Feeling confident about climate change tho! Struggled with 3c but I think it was a level 2!

ReputationRep:
    The paper did knock me side ways at first! Feeling confident about climate change tho! Struggled with 3c but I think it was a level 2!
    yeah, 3a could have been better also

Guys can you talk about looking at the gradient and vegetation for 3B the 8 marker?

and also what was the exact question for 3b thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UltimateLad1)
    and also what was the exact question for 3b thanks
    Think it was: outline what other information may help in investigating why some rivers have extremely high flow.
    For this I said about;
    Size of drainage basin
    How steep the drainage basin is
    Is the land is urban as that would increase surface run off
    Percentage of which is forested as that would increase interception
    If the land is used for farming and irrigation as it would give an idea of how used the river is
    At what point the data was recorded, if upstream the river tends to have a quicker velocity upstream

ReputationRep:
    what did everyone put for the management question? i wrote about putting in predictive measures and just overelaborating on that because i couldn't think of anything else. in hindsight i probably could've written just broadly bout rebuilding all that was destroyed, but what's done is done

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.