The Student Room Group

Government to introduce Sharia compliant student loans for Muslims

Scroll to see replies

The majority might (sadly) but I didn't like the way he put it. Seems as though he was generalising all Muslims.

No I'm not Ahmadiyya lol. :tongue:
Original post by Ciel.
Well, personally, I am wounded by this proposal. Why should they be treated differently? Of course, I realise that students themselves won't benefit from that system. But muslims keep crying about inequality, and what do they do? They actually want different rules for themselves. Equality is about being treated equally and, clearly, they don't want that. If they can't a normal loan because a pedo-ah, prophet is the right word isn't it - forbids them from doing so, then just let them stay uneducated. And I am tired of the government kissing up to muslims and their silly ideas, which have no place in the modern world. And no, it isn't just the loans idea, it's also stuff like halal meat. But I am not going to discuss this particular aspect any further because things may quickly turn very, very unpleasant.

Why do you think they're treated "differently"? I am talking about this proposal only. It's open to all, and it can "theoretically" funded by tax funds paid by Muslims. It's open to all and as I said before, it will help more go to uni which is one of the few places that can equip a person with the skills needed to overcome indoctrination.
Original post by Omen96
They have to prove they need it for cultural or religious reasons though. Muslims on the other hand just need to say they are Muslim and there you go

Do they?
Reply 83
Original post by oShahpo
Why do you think they're treated "differently"? I am talking about this proposal only. It's open to all, and it can "theoretically" funded by tax funds paid by Muslims. It's open to all and as I said before, it will help more go to uni which is one of the few places that can equip a person with the skills needed to overcome indoctrination.

Because they are applying for a loan through an entirely different system. That's why. Plus the interest won't benefit the system in any way as it will all go to muslim charity. Please, don't make me laugh, I would love to see them accepting an application from a non-muslim white person.
Original post by oShahpo

Because they will be using a parallel system that has been created for them (at the cost to everybody else mind)

As I said I have no issues with this but the cost of implementing must fall ONLY on those who 'benefit'

But interesting you claim it will help fight indoctrination (when we actually see the opposite happening in UK UNI'S) but do you have any proof for this claim?
Reply 85
Original post by oShahpo
It's much clearer, thanks. Yea, I agree with you, Islamic law does have lots of barbaric and stupid things, but it also has some sensible things that we already have in our laws, like the ban of stealing and forced taxation of the rich. The proposal is fair, won't harm anyone, won't have us bending over as some may suggest and will help educate more people, then why not?

Btw, Syria doesn't have those "Islamic loans", all governmental loans "pre-war" were at interest rates and all.

What gives you and the Muslim population the right to deem what's good sharia policy or bad sharia policy? Sharia is not part of our culture, end of discussion. It has no place here and if Muslims so desperately need it that they are dying for it, they can hop on a plane to an Islamic country like Syria and live in their utopia
Original post by Ciel.
Religious courts have no place in the modern world.

One law for all

http://www.onelawforall.org.uk/
Reply 87
Original post by BaconandSauce
Because they will be using a parallel system that has been created for them (at the cost to everybody else mind)

As I said I have no issues with this but the cost of implementing must fall ONLY on those who 'benefit'

But interesting you claim it will help fight indoctrination (when we actually see the opposite happening in UK UNI'S) but do you have any proof for this claim?

I don't have evidence at the moment, no. But I think in my case, learning about science, evolution and critical thinking helped me abandon my beliefs and come to the right conclusions, I am only guessing this could occur to others too as I am by no means special. As for the bit about cost, I am sure the government or economic commentators know better than I do. I don't know exactly how much costs will incur, how the costs will be distributed, and so on. I doubt it will be just the Muslims paying for the system, but then again we pay for things that we don't participate in just because we know they're good things, like building better prisons or fighting specific diseases that affect a tiny minority of the population.
Original post by oShahpo
I don't have evidence at the moment, no. But I think in my case, learning about science, evolution and critical thinking helped me abandon my beliefs and come to the right conclusions, I am only guessing this could occur to others too as I am by no means special. As for the bit about cost, I am sure the government or economic commentators know better than I do. I don't know exactly how much costs will incur, how the costs will be distributed, and so on. I doubt it will be just the Muslims paying for the system, but then again we pay for things that we don't participate in just because we know they're good things, like building better prisons or fighting specific diseases that affect a tiny minority of the population.

So more of a 'hope and a prayer than fact then (and I see the optimist in your posts which is a positive thing)

But yes costs will be distributed among all students not just those benefiting form the 'interest free loans' hence my ire with the scheme

I have no issues with muslims wanting things to comply with their faith (within the law) but I do take umbrage with them expecting everyone else to foot the bill
Reply 90

I need to sign their petition... Although I doubt that the government will listen.
Original post by Ciel.
I need to sign their petition... Although I doubt that the government will listen.

one more voice is one more voice and a step in the right direction :biggrin:
So more of a 'hope and a prayer than fact then (and I see the optimist in your posts which is a positive thing)

But yes costs will be distributed among all students not just those benefiting form the 'interest free loans' hence my ire with the scheme

I have no issues with muslims wanting things to comply with their faith (within the law) but I do take umbrage with them expecting everyone else to foot the bill

I agree.
Reply 93

Oh, you mean MUSLIM? Oh, bless. Its pronunced Muslim, like Muslim. Not Moslem, Muzlim, Mozlem. 😂
Original post by Omen96
I wouldn't be surprised if they get charity while the rest of us get loans. It's always one thing for them and another for the rest of us.

What happened to coming to a country and living by that country's laws? Oh right, they are Muslim so they have higher preference over the national laws. We are seeing halal become the main food in our schools and public institutions, we are seeing halal slaughter instead of our own choice of slaughter, we are seeing sharia practices arise in Muslim communities, we are seeing Islamic infiltration in our schools, isn't multiculturalism just great!

stop whining and move on
Reply 95
Original post by Ciel.
Religious courts have no place in the modern world.

I beg to differ. I believe that religious courts can be integrated, however, they should not overule the legal sysyem in this country. So for example, if he law says 5 years, and religious courts say 10, it should be 5 years.

But for family issues such as making divorces official in terms of religion and what have you. But they should never not take precedence over UK law.
One law for all= No freedom of religion?
Reply 96
Original post by King7
I beg to differ. I believe that religious courts can be integrated, however, they should not overule the legal sysyem in this country. So for example, if he law says 5 years, and religious courts say 10, it should be 5 years.

But for family issues such as making divorces official in terms of religion and what have you. But they should never not take precedence over UK law.
One law for all= No freedom of religion?

Then what would be the point of having religious courts? Waste of time and effort.
One law for all does not mean no freedom of religion. It simply means 'no you can't can't special treatment (or be discriminated against) just because you believe in a higher power'. *shrugs*
Reply 97
Original post by lNurl

Our skins colour is changing, maybe in next 200 years we will have more Chinese/Asian looking kids, you know why, because it's choice, because white guys and girls will marry them, and it's these kids right to live in the UK and carry name british proudly. We cannot stand up and riot that, UK is changing, it's becoming more Asian, where is blond kids with blue eyes, can we?

As far as I know, Chinese don't ask for special laws and rules. That's the difference. Muslims in the West keep asking for a special treatment.
You are kidding right? most ISOC's are full of intolerance and hatred for anything 'not Islamic' (inf act I think a fair few terrorists and ISIS fighters at one time or another belonged to a uni ISOC.)

Problem is until Muslims mix with the wider communities this will always be an issue,

The guy who blew his wang off trying to blow up a jumbo jet was president of the UCL ISoc lol
Original post by KimKallstrom
The guy who blew his wang off trying to blow up a jumbo jet was president of the UCL ISoc lol

:biggrin:

Yep and there are others

kind of negates the argument education prevents extremism (when they still practice isolationism within their ISOC's)

Quick Reply