Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Does God exist? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jay_Gatsby123)
    Adam and Eve...
    And the fact that evolution takes millions of years but the bible suggests the earth and Universe is only 6,000 to 10,000 years old.
    No, it certainly suggests that Adam & Eve were around 6000 years ago but that's Genesis 2. Previoulsy God had already set the Earth up and created life forms (including mankind) and environments in a particular order and caused them to multiply abundantly. the terms "day" and the phrase "evening and morning" are translated from hebrew words meaning epochs.
    For example after giving a vision of coming empires, the bible says:
    "the vision of the evening and the morning which was told is true: wherefore shut thou up the vision; for it shall be for many days." (Daniel 8:26)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inhuman)
    But that's not true...we have seen evolution in many species in our lifetime.
    How are you defining "evolution" and "species"?

Can you give one or 2 examples that we have seen, prefereably ones that I can actually see with my eyes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NJA)

Can you give one or 2 examples that we have seen, prefereably ones that I can actually see with my eyes.
    How many scientific theories that we have today can you see with your own eyes?

Do you believe the recent Higgs boson exists? Can you see that with your own eyes?

Squirrels and fish.

Though your line of questioning is silly anyway. Evolution is not something you can see happening in front of you, it takes time.

Although that is not even true, had you read the news today you might have seen that one of the biggest threats to us is actually evolution - of microbes. And that is definitely observable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NJA)

Hiya, I'm just wondering what your reasoning is for not viewing the Biblical account of creation and the theory of evolution as compatible? I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, just wondering because it's not a view I've ever explored. It's fine if you don't want to reply

Surely, 'Then the Lord God formed a man from the dust of the ground' could be interpreted as a metaphor for evolution? Likewise with, 'and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life' as an explanation for life coming from non-life? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NJA)
    You are right, evolution is a hypothesis.
    hahahaha seriously? Evolution us an hypothosis? You know that we have observed evolution right? Everyday, every single day we observe it. In bacteria... Ever looked this up?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NJA)

Evolution as a general definition is the gradual change of something. Which is what the theory of evolution describes, orginisms will gradually change over time to adabt to the habitat by natural selection.
    And a species is orginisms that can share genes or breed with each other.
    Well seeing as all orginisms that you can see with the naked eye have generations that are above 20 years 'ish' then no you won't see it in your lifetime because evolution is something that takes time through many generations.
    But we do see evolution in orginisms that produces many generations every day such as bacteria.
    And by the way, I also have an example that you can'actually see with your eyes'.
    Peppered Moth, before the industrial revolution, the moths has light coloured wings, but once the revolution started the air would be darker, and the ground and plants would be darker too due to all kinds of polution, which caused the moths to be seen more easily by birds and would die. However the slightly darker moths wouldn't be caught so easily so they would go on to breed. And when only darker coloured moths could go on to breed, all of the ofspring would be darker as well. Now the Peppered Moth is darker than it was before the industrial revolution.
    And since that took a while to describe I'm just going to copy and paist the next one with a source link as well
    Rat Snake - The coloration of rat snakes have changed according to their location. They can be found with yellow, black, orange and green colorations, and live all over the eastern half of the United States.
    http://examples.yourdictionary.com/e...evolution.html

Oh and by the way, before you say 'you just googled this anc copied it', I already had this link saved in my files as I am using information off of it and other websites for some work in sixth form.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CaptErin)
    Hiya, I'm just wondering what your reasoning is for not viewing the Biblical account of creation and the theory of evolution as compatible? I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, just wondering because it's not a view I've ever explored. It's fine if you don't want to reply

Surely, 'Then the Lord God formed a man from the dust of the ground' could be interpreted as a metaphor for evolution? Likewise with, 'and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life' as an explanation for life coming from non-life? Thanks
    Well we know that 'man' and Ape came from a common ancestor, why else would we have such similair DNA? The bible doesn't mention that God made humans and Ape similair,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inhuman)
    Squirrels and fish.
    ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!

"squirrels and fish"

ho-ho ha-ha-, he-he

you
    know
    nothing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NJA)
    ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!

"squirrels and fish"

ho-ho ha-ha-, he-he

you
    know
    nothing
    And apparently neither do you...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 20, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.