The Student Room Group

Core 1 Edexcel

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Princepieman
You spoke my mind. Makes me feel like **** tbh, I usually get full ums to low 90s, but I didn't have time to even complete all the questions. So much unnecessary arithmetic that just slowed me down to hault. Like the first few questions I was going at the usual (fast) pace, then BAM fraction town.

It's because of this stupid paper that I'll have to settle for less. All because the numbers were awkward and denied me off the effort I could have pulled off. It's so unfair because I sat last year's paper and although I didn't do too well I could now do it with my eyes closed compared to the mental energy today's required.

This years paper had practically everything for Jun15 AND More.
Reply 81
You spoke my mind. Makes me feel like **** tbh, I usually get full ums to low 90s, but I didn't have time to even complete all the questions. So much unnecessary arithmetic that just slowed me down to hault. Like the first few questions I was going at the usual (fast) pace, then BAM fraction town.

It's because of this stupid paper that I'll have to settle for far less in terms of universities. All because the numbers were awkward and denied me of the effort I could have pulled off. It's so unfair because I sat last year's paper and although I didn't do too well I could now do it with my eyes closed compared to the mental energy today's required.

This years paper had practically everything for Jun15 AND More.

How the hell am I supposed to get 95% per exam when Edexcel keep doing unnecessary things like this?!
I dont do edexcel nor core 1 but i found this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akA_AfMLg6Q
Reply 83

It's because of this stupid paper that I'll have to settle for far less in terms of universities. All because the numbers were awkward and denied me of the effort I could have pulled off. It's so unfair because I sat last year's paper and although I didn't do too well I could now do it with my eyes closed compared to the mental energy today's required.

This years' paper had practically everything from Jun15 AND More.

How the hell am I supposed to get 95% per exam when Edexcel keep doing unnecessary things like this?!
Reply 84
What equation did people get for q11?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jamb97
I think I got 60 approximately, maybe 63/64 with luck if my workings can get 1 or 2 marks... I used a instead of 2a on the sum of arithmetic series question and I don't think there's any follow through marks for that, so 5 marks lost instantly... :'(

The question with the quadratic with the constant 'p' was an absolute mess, I ended up with 4p^2

I think what I'm about to say (and what I actually did) is correct.

So, for 8a, the question tells you that the quadratic doesn't cross with the line y = (3X - 7). So what you do is you make the equations equal each other, and sort of collate both of them into one. There, it's a easier to make out what A, B and C are for the discriminant. When you put your new equation into the discriminant, you should get the quadratic that the question asks you to prove is less than zero.

For b, given that you know what the quadratic is, you can factorize it into two solutions for p. I think the final inequalities is ((1/2) < p < (9/2))
Why the C1 paper was harder and Why hopefully C2, M1, S1 and D1 will be easier

The 2015 C1 paper was fairly easy. So the grade boundaries Got increased. If you look at C1 it says 63/75 for an A which is 84% and even worse is that you needed 38/75 to get an E which is 50%.(see image attached)

For C2, M1 and S1 2015 the grade boundaries got lowered. you needed 59/75 to get an A which is 78.6% but it was harder to get the lower grades, 34/75 to get an E which is 45%.

What i think they might have done is flipped this. AKA made C1 harder and C2, M1 and S1 easier?

Lets hope anyways
EDIT: here is the link to the source of the attached image:
https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/Support/Grade-boundaries/A-level/1506-A-level-Grade-Boundaries.pdf
(edited 7 years ago)
I forgot to work out the Y values for the simultaneous equation :'(( How many marks do you lose for that?
Original post by Jelio
Idk about that exam I answered everything but got some really top heavy fractions, and was quite unsure about how plausible they looked

I thought that as well kept getting top heavy fractions and didn't think they were plausible so thought I had gone wrong somewhere along the line... So i just left them. Turned out I was on the right track and now I am frustrated I didn't follow it though.

As a non calculator paper I guess you think they will give you reasonable numbers to work with.

I am really upset by it. Done LOTS of revision as well....

Mess up that John question too coz by that time I was just panicking and not reading it right....
Reply 90
Original post by Reda2
I maybe lost 12-15 marks, I ran out of time! So I rushed the last 3 Questions, I think next exam I need to start with the hardest, because at the end if I don't have time, I can do the easy ones quick.

Did anyone of you get 17/2 somewhere? I don't remember the question, but I think the gradient was = 17/2 or something.

yup
Reply 92
Original post by kk5
x = 1/3 y= -1/3 I can't remember what I written for second...

nice thats what i got for one of them
Reply 93
Original post by Barklimus
I think what I'm about to say (and what I actually did) is correct.

So, for 8a, the question tells you that the quadratic doesn't cross with the line y = (3X - 7). So what you do is you make the equations equal each other, and sort of collate both of them into one. There, it's a easier to make out what A, B and C are for the discriminant. When you put your new equation into the discriminant, you should get the quadratic that the question asks you to prove is less than zero.

For b, given that you know what the quadratic is, you can factorize it into two solutions for p. I think the final inequalities is ((1/2) < p < (9/2))

I got (1/2) < p < (9/2)
Not the best paper and I'm resitting(!). Was rooting to get 65+ but damn, too many fractions. I also screwed up on the area one too. Managed to screw up the last surd part and somehow some of the k equations in the sum. I think I got 55-60, which isn't good enough. I mean I got an E last year, but still.
Original post by Dieselblue
I got 17/2 as the gradient and I got k=41/8 and I thought it should have been 5 so I put 5, I am so pissed off cus now I got the wrong tangent and y value. Why do they have to make things so annoying with stupid fractions in a non calculator paper

I think thats what I done. I got k =41/8 and thought I was wrong for obvious reasons then I got k=5 so figured that mush be right. Its a non caluclator paper after all...

Obviously every else was wrong because of that.

I am soo frustrated. I spend so much time checking my answers because most of them where top heavy that I started to run out of time .....
Original post by Oscarchow
How old was John on the last question? I found 27 years but not sure, it was a f******g hard paper

it was 27 years of age
Original post by Reda2
for the simultaneous equations question, all the x and y values were fractions right?

yes, yes it was
If C1 was hard, imagine how C2 and S1 would be....😑. Bruh, Edexcel are actualy trying to ruin our lives
Original post by Angus Young
I forgot to work out the Y values for the simultaneous equation :'(( How many marks do you lose for that?

3 marks for all correct answers so if you didn't work out the y values you would only lose 1 -2 marks

Quick Reply

Latest