Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

B977 - Disenfranchisement of the people Bill 2016 watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    You were questioning the motives of my decision suggesting that my motives affacted the argument.

No, my issue is that a dying person who doesn't have to live with the decision gets to decide what happens. It's stupid.
    My question wasnt relevant to the debate, it was a personal question.

Thing is, if i am 60 i may live till im 80 or i may live until i am 65. Stephan Hawking was told he had less than a year to live, since then he has had a massive contribution not only to science but to the world as a whole. If someone is given a year left to live then they're still alive and as such should vote if they wish to.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lime-man)

Thing is, if i am 60 i may live till im 80 or i may live until i am 65. Stephan Hawking was told he had less than a year to live, since then he has had a massive contribution not only to science but to the world as a whole. If someone is given a year left to live then they're still alive and as such should vote if they wish to.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I've tried similar arguments to this, I would suggest not bothering.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes I agree, which leads to TDA's suggestion which is as far as I can see, impractical. So a person with a reasonable risk of dying soon should not vote.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    Yes I agree, which leads to TDA's suggestion which is as far as I can see, impractical. So a person with a reasonable risk of dying soon should not vote.
    No, they should vote, the benefit of the doubt should be used in the individual's favour in that instance.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    No, they should vote, the benefit of the doubt should be used in the individual's favour in that instance.
    Certainly not in a referendum they shouldn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    I'm voting against this, I just think some parts of it are less cuckoo than other people seem to be saying. It's certainly much better than his Animal Rights Charter.
    They may not be cuckoo, but they are short sighted, ideological, impractical and they don't do anything to achieve what Aph wants them for. He wants old people to have less of a voice on election day because they tend to vote tory.

I differ to Aph on a number of topics and issues, but I can sympathise with him slightly. Older people do have an easier ride than the rest of us, but that's only because they turn out to vote. Make GE day a public holiday then more people can vote.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    Certainly not in a referendum they shouldn't.
    Why not? They may not die which is why they should have the benefit of the doubt.

ReputationRep:
    They may not be cuckoo, but they are short sighted, ideological, impractical and they don't do anything to achieve what Aph wants them for. He wants old people to have less of a voice on election day because they tend to vote tory.

I differ to Aph on a number of topics and issues, but I can sympathise with him slightly. Older people do have an easier ride than the rest of us, but that's only because they turn out to vote. Make GE day and public holiday then more people can vote.
    I would support this.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster

I differ to Aph on a number of topics and issues, but I can sympathise with him slightly. Older people do have an easier ride than the rest of us, but that's only because they turn out to vote. Make GE day and public holiday then more people can vote.
    It's not because they vote in a different way to me... It doesn't help the issue but it isn't for that reason.
    Why not? They may not die which is why they should have the benefit of the doubt.
    Because if the referendum is lost (I.e. Out wins) by a few hundred votes of people who dies within a year of out winning then that isn't right.

Only the people who have to deal with the long term impacts shoudl get a voice on what kind of country they wish to inherit.

EDIT: I take it that no one has any issue with the legal definition of age in this bill?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    It's not because they vote in a different way to me... It doesn't help the issue but it isn't for that reason.

Because if the referendum is lost (I.e. Out wins) by a few hundred votes of people who dies within a year of out winning then that isn't right.

Only the people who have to deal with the long term impacts shoudl get a voice on what kind of country they wish to inherit.

EDIT: I take it that no one has any issue with the legal definition of age in this bill?
    I may die within a year from now, I can't predict the future and nor can anyone else. That's why they should be given the benefit of the doubt,
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    I may die within a year from now, I can't predict the future and nor can anyone else. That's why they should be given the benefit of the doubt,
    No but that's why I said probably. And that isn't an answer to my point.https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appeal_to_motive

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    No but that's why I said probably. And that isn't an answer to my point.https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appeal_to_motive
    The fact of the matter is that all people will haveto deal with the long term impacts of whatever the result of anything is. It seems like you're just picking on the elderly, and seeing as you won't mention why I'm left to assume it's just because they vote against your self interest.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    The fact of the matter is that all people will haveto deal with the long term impacts of whatever the result of anything is. It seems like you're just picking on the elderly, and seeing as you won't mention why I'm left to assume it's just because they vote against your self interest.
    Except that they don't. I have explained my issue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    Except that they don't. I have explained my issue.
    Your issue is that you believe old people vote not having to live with the consequences of their votes.

My issue is that your issue is a non issue because there's nothing that can be done about it (in a pragmatic way) because we can't see into the future.

ReputationRep:
    Your issue is that you believe old people vote not having to live with the consequences of their votes.

My issue is that your issue is a non issue because there's nothing that can be done about it (in a pragmatic way) because we can't see into the future.
    I can think of a few ways to ensure people don't overshoot their life expectancy...

ReputationRep:
    I can think of a few ways to ensure people don't overshoot their life expectancy...
    Okay, how about if I voted and then found out that I was going to die in 2 weeks time, can you think of a way to make me live longer?

ReputationRep:
    Okay, how about if I voted and then found out that I was going to die in 2 weeks time, can you think of a way to make me live longer?
    Of course not, but for the good of the people, you should probably take it upon yourself to find out whether or not you're going to die within two weeks before you vote.

ReputationRep:
    Go see Omar Djalili live, it will certainly feel like you're living longer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Of course not, but for the good of the people, you should probably take it upon yourself to find out whether or not you're going to die within two weeks before you vote.
    I could be told that I have 2 weeks left to live and then in a weeks time be told that there is a cure for whatever it is that's killing me.

ReputationRep:
    I could be told that I have 2 weeks left to live and then in a weeks time be told that there is a cure for whatever it is that's killing me.
    Tough ****, you've registered as dying in two weeks now. The state needs you to go.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 30, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.