Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Edexcel Chemistry IGCSE 1C Unofficial Mark Scheme 19th May 2016 Watch

• View Poll Results: How did you find this exam?
    Very easy
    13.97%
    Easy
    28.19%
    Okay
    43.87%
    Hard
    10.78%
    Very hard
    3.19%

ReputationRep:
    I'm feeling much more confident after reading this!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gameofno)
    IKR! i got so much wrong. like the thing in unpolluted air i just said oxygen hahahahahaha
    omg i put that and then i realised it said compound
    if only i'd realised that for the others

paper 2 is probably going to be a lot harder than this one :afraid:

ReputationRep:
    IKR! i got so much wrong. like the thing in unpolluted air i just said oxygen hahahahahaha
    Haha, yeah I did the same. At least it's only 1 mark

ReputationRep:
    For the calorimetry experiment when is asked why is the actual value higher than the experiment value, is "Heat is lost by conduction through the beaker" right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grace_wh)
    yup same, never mind! Seem to remember that it was only 1 mark?
    yeah but i also lost the mark for labelling where the dye was initially on the diagram

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Puredbest)
    Haha, yeah I did the same. At least it's only 1 mark
    i wonder how many '1 marks' ive lost lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by defenestrated)

yeah it did, and in the equation it had 2 in front of it which means it had twice as many moles as the other thing
    Aww crap! Thanks for clearing it up anyway!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by defenestrated)
    omg i put that and then i realised it said compound
    if only i'd realised that for the others

paper 2 is probably going to be a lot harder than this one :afraid:
    what so what was the answer to that question?
    Good luck for paper 2! i only do double award so i only have 1 paper for each science. now i never have to think of chemistry again. lol

ReputationRep:
    UGHHH i put 2 bromines i think i got the empircal formula for Y wrong too
    same!

ReputationRep:
    Hey dude, Bromine is a diatomic molecule so it's usually Br-Br, in this question we were just asked for the substitution reaction, so you can't start with two bromines and end up with 3. We were told not was similar to methane where only one H is substituted, hence why only one Br is present in the chain, the other bit being Br-H

ReputationRep:
    You didn't do the cotton wool question

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fuzi8n137)
    Hey dude, Bromine is a diatomic molecule so it's usually Br-Br, in this question we were just asked for the substitution reaction, so you can't start with two bromines and end up with 3. We were told not was similar to methane where only one H is substituted, hence why only one Br is present in the chain, the other bit being Br-H
    cool just shoot me

ReputationRep:
    Also the reaction between iodine and chlorine is like this:

I2 + Cl2 -> 2ICl

ReputationRep:
    Good luck for paper 2! i only do double award so i only have 1 paper for each science. now i never have to think of chemistry again. lol
    either carbon dioxide or water i think

omg that means you escaped crude oil and electrolysis and everything else that didn't come up in this one
    so
    lucky

ReputationRep:
    Think it was CO2 or H2O :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gdmn)
    You didn't do the cotton wool question
    Cotton wool was to prevent the solution from fizzing/spraying out of the conical flask so that the mass of that solution was not lost.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HKHASSAN)
    Its 2H2 + O2-> 2H2O isn't it?
    Yes it is, just that I was wondering why hydrogen peroxide would not work (because decomposition of hydrogen peroxide is oxygen and hydrogen).

ReputationRep:
    For the reaction with propane and bromine, do you think I'll get a mark for putting down two bromines on the formula on two different carbon atoms, I know for a fact that this exists - 1,2 dibromopropane. But it said similar to the methane one so I'm not sure?

ReputationRep:
    I wrote butane instead of C4H10 :/ and I lost a few other marks here and there. Otherwise, i think the exam went very well and I'm feeling positive about chemistry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamesj477)
    For the reaction with propane and bromine, do you think I'll get a mark for putting down two bromines on the formula on two different carbon atoms, I know for a fact that this exists - 1,2 dibromopropane. But it said similar to the methane one so I'm not sure?
    No, because in this halogenation reaction you learn that C3H7Br and HBr is formed.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.