Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChefExxxcellence)
    Here's my reasoning...

- Heaven is pointless because you spend forever doing nothing, even if you experience eternal happiness there is no reason or merit for it. Even as a reward, it's very unfulfilling - why shouldn't I instead be reincarnated as a human, allowing me to relive the joys of learning and life all over again?

- Some of the ideas in Heaven are impossible, as happiness for some might detriment others - even if you're being "opened" up, you don't know what happens there or if you'd rather see something else instead. For something to be so ultimately satisfactory that it overrides needs and desires, it still needs to satisfy certain criteria that either can't or shouldn't be satisfied. Besides, what kind of reward is the non-accomplishment of what you still sought to do in life?

- Heaven and purgatory only have emotional differences, but you're still mostly inactive in both of these stages which makes them vastly uninteresting and anti-cathartic.
    -God is perfect. Being opened up to perfection is the ultiment fulfillment that leaves nothing else desired.

-Why would it be to the detriment of others? God is infinite and has enough fulfillment to go around to everyone :lol: There is nothing more perfect than perfection, hence nothing you'd want to experience more. Everything one seeks in life is in virtue of biological needs (yet biological needs do not exist in heaven) or of an end of happiness/fulfillment, and so heaven is the ultimate satisfaction of that.

-Again, "God is perfect. Being opened up to perfection is the ultiment fulfillment that leaves nothing else desired".

Tagging someone more knowledgable about Christianity who may be able to help further.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobML)
    -God is perfect. Being opened up to perfection is the ultiment fulfillment that leaves nothing else desired.

-Why would it be to the detriment of others? God is infinite and has enough fulfillment to go around to everyone :lol: There is nothing more perfect than perfection, hence nothing you'd want to experience more. Everything one seeks in life is in virtue of biological needs (yet biological needs do not exist in heaven) or of an end of happiness/fulfillment, and so heaven is the ultimate satisfaction of that.

-Again, "God is perfect. Being opened up to perfection is the ultiment fulfillment that leaves nothing else desired".

Tagging someone more knowledgable about Christianity who may be able to help further.
    heaven is a fallacy that gave peasants motivation to not do wrong and do hard work with little benefit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pelaitsc45)
    heaven is a fallacy that gave peasants motivation to not do wrong and do hard work with little benefit.
    I'm just saying there isn't really anything logically inconsistent about the idea of heaven.I don't believe in it or God.

ReputationRep:
    Do people often argue with you about religion?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pelaitsc45)
    You may have done already (by the sounds of it) but I would recommend you look up Marx's critique of religion, very similar to what you're saying and very interesting

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobML)

What on earth (or in heaven) am I being pulled into?

ReputationRep:
    What kinda atheist? Naturalist? Agnostic?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TMC113)
    You may have done already (by the sounds of it) but I would recommend you look up Marx's critique of religion, very similar to what you're saying and very interesting

Posted from TSR Mobile
    never heard of it but i'll take a look

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryRedhead)
    What on earth (or in heaven) am I being pulled into?
    Only Christian I could think of at the time :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobML)
    Only Christian I could think of at the time :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What did you want me to say? He's allowed his own opinion on heaven and tbh most of the stuff he said on the post you tagged me in and quoted him in I sort of agree with.

Yes, heaven will be considerably better than hell (no death, no suffering, no disease etc) but I also worry it will be boring. Essentially it will be like a gigantic church service, you will be there with all other true born again believers worshipping Jesus and God for eternity. That being said, heaven in Revelations sounds beautiful, but it's more accurate to say that a new earth will be created and that will be our new home, so we won't technically be up in some clouds or some crazy mystical dimension

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by champ_mc99)
    I don't know what the difference is?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davidguettafan)
    I don't know what the difference is?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Do you think any sort of supernatural might exist? You can still deny God but be agnostic to whether there is supernatural.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by champ_mc99)
    Personally, I'm a projectionist

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Do you agree that sometimes you have to acknowledge that there is a god to be an atheist?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davidguettafan)
    AMA

Posted from TSR Mobile
    As a fellow atheist, why do you think people sometimes link atheism to immorality?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tsunaomi)
    Do you agree that sometimes you have to acknowledge that there is a god to be an atheist?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    ???

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nayzar)
    agnosticism makes more sense than atheism. as you said its silly to believe in things without evidence. so why believe that god definitely doesn't exist?
    By that logic, there are an infinite number of things one could be agnostic about.

ReputationRep:
    What about agnostic athiesm? While i do not BELIEVE there is a god i CANNOT be 100% certain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blackstar152)
    What about agnostic athiesm? While i do not BELIEVE there is a god i CANNOT be 100% certain.
    That sounds more like negative atheism

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TMC113)
    That sounds more like negative atheism
    You're probably right all these labels confuse me

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.