The Student Room Group

OCR A2 History: Civil Rights America 19th/20th Century - 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Hihihi123
I honestly don't know how many pages to write- it depends on how much you have to say about the question i suppose, past ones I've done have been about maybe 4 and a bit? It completely depends.

Links over time could be 1924 ICA with Harrison v Laveen 1948
Massacre at Wounded Knee 1890 with its occupation in 1973
Dawes Act 1887 with US v Sioux Nation 1980
Lone Wolf v Hitchcock 1903 with the termination policy in 1953
Red Power 1960s with Plains Wars in 1860s e.g. Red Cloud War 1867

I'm struggling a lot with this paper too though :frown:

Thanks these are the links that I have come up with too just wanted to check if I'm on the right track
Someone posted Past exam papers on this thread and they are really long so I was wondering whether you have to write loads,

Hopefully the questions will be straight forward :smile:
Reply 81
I would say it's best doing 3 topics and learning them really well, than doing the 4. Go through each topic right by right: for example, with AA's we need to consider political rights, defacto segregation (social rights - housing/education), economic, de jure segregation and do the same for the others. Once you get your head round the different rights it is okay... with turning points and factors questions they are quite straight forward. Just tackle the turning point in the hypothesis, finding the evidence to show why it is a TP and the evidence against and consider other turning points, making sure that you refer back to the one in the question and saying why it is most significant. Hope this helped you out :smile:
Reply 82
GUYS- how would you answer the question
To what extent were the activities of white racist groups the most important reason for continued discrimination against african american civil rights in the period?

Other than the KKK what other groups could you talk about?!

Your answer will focus on the KKK, so maybe do one paragraph on that but you need to consider other reasons. For example, Reconstruction period (1877 compromise), the Federal Government's attitude toward AA's especially with the Supreme Court cases ruling in favour of discrimination - issues of AA civil rights were only really properly addressed during the 1930s onwards, most notably in the 1950s/60s. Therefore in the light of F.G you would argue that there was continued discrimination in the early period, yet this wasn't the case when a more liberal government emerged/ responding to AA pressure groups e.t.c
Reply 83
Original post by ribbon123
For the help/hinderance question e.g. how far did presidents hinder rather than help the development of a.a. civil rights, would you just focus on that entirely or bring in other factors like the actions of a.a themselves? Also when they ask about the importance of individual leaders like MLK would you just focus on his action or compare it with other factors?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just focus on the presidents and approach the question right by right - how far did presidents hinder AA political rights/social/economic e.t.c and with the MLK one you need to address not only MLK himself in the first paragraph but bring in other leaders and grass roots organisations (NAACP/CORE/Booker T e.t.c) and make sure you keep on linking it back to MLK throughout the other paragraphs.
But then how would you talk about land rights?

I'd write how the different assimilation policies affected land - so Reservation policy, Allotment, Termination etc.
What are you guys planning on doing tomorrow?
How have you guys been revising?
I'm finishing up essay plans to have 5 for AA's, TU's and NA's so that covers mostly all of the possible questions and just reading over my timelines. You guys need to relax though. The main thing is that you have 3/4 Synoptic links per essay with some context in each point as well as arguing significance. The knowledge is useful but you can know everything but still get 35-40. Mainly, they're looking at exam technique so hope that helps.
Original post by SharafSh
I'm finishing up essay plans to have 5 for AA's, TU's and NA's so that covers mostly all of the possible questions and just reading over my timelines. You guys need to relax though. The main thing is that you have 3/4 Synoptic links per essay with some context in each point as well as arguing significance. The knowledge is useful but you can know everything but still get 35-40. Mainly, they're looking at exam technique so hope that helps.

Could you possibly send me some of your essay plans? I'm really struggling with how to do them :frown:
Can someone give an example of a synoptic link?
Original post by ribbon123
Can someone give an example of a synoptic link?

So like, you would parallel the 1981 PATCO strike with the 1892 Haymarket Affair to show how federal government attitude to trade unions hadn't really shifted from the beginning to the end of the period
Do we need to actually write the dates of different event. So like could we get away with writing 'the formation of the NAACP' or do we need to explicitly include the date as in 'the formation of the NAACP in 1909'. I really struggle to remember dates but I can remember the actual events.... my teacher said that if I don't include the dates my grade will be lower but that just seems ridiculous to me if I'm still showing awareness of events...
Original post by rachelthehuman
Do we need to actually write the dates of different event. So like could we get away with writing 'the formation of the NAACP' or do we need to explicitly include the date as in 'the formation of the NAACP in 1909'. I really struggle to remember dates but I can remember the actual events.... my teacher said that if I don't include the dates my grade will be lower but that just seems ridiculous to me if I'm still showing awareness of events...

Well i read on this study skills for this exam document that came from an OCR conference that not putting in dates/getting them wrong was one of the biggest mistakes for students- it will lower your mark probably because you'll show less detailed knowledge so it may take you down a band if you don't have dates, but then again i'm not a teacher so don't take my word as the gospel
Any best guesses for this paper?
Original post by ArcticSlayer
I definitely need to skip a topic but I'm not sure which one, I'm so not ready for this exam! :s-smilie:
And if anyone has any revision material or any tips please let me (and the thread) know! :smile:

This is what I have done. Time periods for chronological coverage
Original post by JessieeMayy
This is what I have done. Time periods for chronological coverage

Thanks a lot. I am so not ready for this exam. :frown: I hope I can do okay.
Original post by rachelthehuman

You need to know the dates for some of the key events, definitely, but not every single one. For your turning points and stuff you will but for a general 'Congress' paragraph as long as you get them in the right order you should be okay, or you could write something like 'the 50's was a period of change for African Americans as they gained equal education through brown v board' so you're showing you know roughly what it is :smile:
Thanks a lot. I am so not ready for this exam. :frown: I hope I can do okay.

Did the attachment work? :smile: You'll do fine, all you can do is your best
Original post by JessieeMayy
Did the attachment work? :smile: You'll do fine, all you can do is your best

Yeah it's working fine. I haven't looked at A2 history in a while. Are you revising everything? I'm going to skip trade unions.
Yeah it's working fine. I haven't looked at A2 history in a while. Are you revising everything? I'm going to skip trade unions.

Trade unions is my weakest, but revised enough to answer a turning point question if it came up. My teacher said choose the question not the topic. Always do the turning point one regardless of topic they're the easy marks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending