Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

WJEC BIOLOGY BY1 2016 (NEW AS) Thread Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aledrhys)
    Meeee, how did you find it?
    me tooo, how did you both find it? I didn't like all the water potentials questions:s and i put leaf as the tissue when its blood, mitosis essay was okay but I feel like i didn't write enough

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iloveclouds)
    Did anyone take the resit with the old spec?
    mee, how did you find it? Everyone said it was easy but i find it quite hard tbh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robinback)
    It'll certainly be tricky, but I don't know if it'll be as bad. They don't have as much freedom to make questions vague like biology. Some questions could be dodgy such as equilibrium in certain conditions (like the fizzy drink question I think). I'm hoping it won't be that bad though.
    Do you know which paper that question was from the equilibrium one you mentioned?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lemonandlime1)
    Do you know which paper that question was from the equilibrium one you mentioned?
    Nope, sorry. It is in the WJEC revision guide if you have that. Page 89 Question 2b

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iamjos)
    You must have done a resit paper then, the old spec
    There are 2 papers, one for WJEC and one for WJEC educas, I did the one u did too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elljp33)
    Anyone doing unit 1 chemistry tomorrow? Think it'll be as bad as this?
    I am! I really hope not! I got a B in the Chem1 specimen paper but of course that is meaningless. I just hope it's not much difficult than the spec. paper but from what I've seen today that's not guaranteed. I don't think it can get any worse than that paper today!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by valbrechts)
    its the biggest ******** ive ever seen in my life. The amount of work ive put into revising the whole syllabus has gone to waste. I LITERALLY understand and memorized the whole unit but still struggled.

Here are some of my answers not in order: (simplified)

Sap Vacuole, Chloroplasts
    Metaphase, Cytokinesis
    1.5 x10^5 (the density question)
    Other parts of the cell absorbed the stain which blocks light
    cell wall is inelastic which opposes hydrostatic pressure when cytoplasm expands

PS DID ANYONE ELSE WRITE DOWN ATLEAST 4 OSMOSIS RELATED ANSWERS?
    Agree with the first two, didn't even have enough time to figure out the density I was having a mental breakdown. I think the stain one was because other organelles such as mitochondria have DNA within them stored as small loops and since the question said it stained DNA then I assumed that would be the problem...

ReputationRep:
    My prediction is 58-59 out for 80 for an A.. 52 for a B...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bonney12)
    Agree with the first two, didn't even have enough time to figure out the density I was having a mental breakdown. I think the stain one was because other organelles such as mitochondria have DNA within them stored as small loops and since the question said it stained DNA then I assumed that would be the problem...
    Yeah my teacher said that's correct because that's what I put I went to check out of curiosity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chemstudent314)
    me tooo, how did you both find it? I didn't like all the water potentials questions:s and i put leaf as the tissue when its blood, mitosis essay was okay but I feel like i didn't write enough
    it was potato?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hamzakalinle)
    Didyou guys do a resit or something because my Biology wjec paper didnt have any question of fish. My essay question was on cell division. Did you guys have this too?
    Yeah! I was actually getting worried that I'd skipped a page because everyone was going on about fish!

BTW, how did you find the essay Q?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clairebear101)
    it was potato?
    someone said it was blood:/ i got it wrong either way

ReputationRep:
    It's seemingly wrong but for the dye question I put down that because chromosomes are made of protein and DNA that the free nucleotides and lysosomes in the cytoplasm would be stained. Suppose it is a similar theory to the mitochondrial DNA being stained.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aledrhys)
    Meeee, how did you find it?
    I thought generally it was an alright paper but I didn't understand the graph questions with the different kinds of transport as i wasn't sure if it wanted diffusion or passive transport as the answer?
    Also for some reason I did the immobilised enzyme question and i'm regretting it now!
    which 10 marker did you do?

ReputationRep:
    mee, how did you find it? Everyone said it was easy but i find it quite hard tbh
    Yeah I have no idea how it went because I found the electron micrograph really hard to look at? just hoping for the best, what do you think the hardest question was?

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone take the resit with the old spec?
    Hey i did the old spec. What did you put for the 6 marker on naming the parts of the plant A-E? And for the question of what was at point P and whats processed from the golgibody question?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I have no idea how it went because I found the electron micrograph really hard to look at? just hoping for the best, what do you think the hardest question was?
    i think the percentage light transmission threw me off and the vacuum part of the enzyme question, me too i found the micrograph really unclear :/

ReputationRep:
    i think the percentage light transmission threw me off and the vacuum part of the enzyme question, me too i found the micrograph really unclear :/
    what was the vacuum part of the enzyme question?

ReputationRep:
    Honestly though, how is everyone finding the motivation to revise for BY2? I literally can't make myself read this even though I've forgotten a lot of it, cause I know I will learn it then go in and be asked about like bacteria from Mars -.-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bonney12)
    Honestly though, how is everyone finding the motivation to revise for BY2? I literally can't make myself read this even though I've forgotten a lot of it, cause I know I will learn it then go in and be asked about like bacteria from Mars -.-
    Honestly I'm just tryiing to forget about BY1 and just get on with BY2. Not looking forward to encountering fish again in the gas exchange topic xD

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.