Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by koolgurl14)
    Question 1 b is electric field not magnetic field based on 2010 past paper.

1e Similarity : same relative abundance (or same height of peaks) Reason : same sample is used so similar amount of the isotopes are present . Difference is the m/z reason : High ionisation causes more than one electron knocked out so the charge is more than 1 so the mass of charge gets smaller so peaks will be to left of the graph.

The emperical formula it was Cu3 (CO3)2 OH it was clear from the question cause they told you at the start metal carbonate are based of the ions OH and CO3.
    I got Cu3(oh)2(CO3)2
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Jackmilne95)
    Im probably being retarded and blind lol, but doesnt your answer only have 7 oxygens?
    Oh my god yeah my bad it had to be like this, damn it i forgot the two in the real exam though :'(
    Cu3 (CO3)2 (OH)2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ahsan_ijaz)
    I don't think it's wrong because the Q asked for vol of phosphorous oxide so you would do 220/ mr of p4o10
    Like I feel just because the unofficial ms says that doesn't mean it's right

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah idk tbh, have to wait til august, hopefully xD

ReputationRep:
    Oh my god yeah my bad it had to be like this, damn it i forgot the two in the real exam though :'(
    Cu3 (CO3)2 (OH)2
    hehe, no worries yeah, that looks correct, hopefully they accept any format as long as the numbers are correct.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by j5994)
    I said for the second shape question, that it was acting as a Trigonal Bipyramid as it has 4 bonding pairs and 1 lone pair, taking 2.5 from each, so 117.5 and 87.5. the question said bond angle(s)
    Would they accept 118?

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone remember how question 6c the percentage yield question was worked out?

ReputationRep:

1e Similarity : same relative abundance (or same height of peaks) Reason : same sample is used so similar amount of the isotopes are present . Difference is the m/z reason : High ionisation causes more than one electron knocked out so the charge is more than 1 so the mass of charge gets smaller so peaks will be to left of the graph.

The emperical formula it was Cu3 (CO3)2 OH it was clear from the question cause they told you at the start metal carbonate are based of the ions OH and CO3.
    It's an electromagnetic field. Not an electric field

ReputationRep:

1e could be a multiple of things. I'll add yours in.
    Emperical formula could be written any way it still shows the ratio of atoms.
    It's and electromagnetic field not an electric field they are two different things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SirRaza97)
    Here is my unofficial mark scheme. Anything in bold I am not sure if it's right. So if you have any idea then please tell me so i can add it! If i have missed anything out then aslo let me know!

Section A

a) Relative Atomic mass Definition
    b) Magnetic Field
    c) - Ions accept electrons -Current is formed which is proportional to abundance
    d) Something like 28.065 for the RAM
    e) Similarity= Peaks still at original m/z values becuase +1 ions are still formed. Difference - Peaks at half the m/z values becasue high energy electrons will produce +2 ions

2. (Can't rmember what topic this was. I think it was about Van Der Waals)
    a) -Electron Density randomly shifts -Creating areas of +ve and -ve charge on molecule - Attraction between molecules which is intermolecular force/VDW
    b) O-H bond big electronegative difference allows for hydrogen bonds. Hydrogen bonds are stronger than VDW.
    c) Fractional Distiallation will sperate these
    d) The Se molecule is larger? This means the VDW forces are stronger between molecules

3. (Questions about Alkanes?)
    a) Group is alkane
    b) 2,2,4 - trimethylpentane (might accept 2,4,4 - trimethylpentane)
    c) C8H18 + 12.5O2 ------> 9H2O + 8CO2
    d) but-1-ene
    e) C14H30
    f) Thermal Cracking. High temp and high pressure
    g) Isomers question. Chain isomer = H2C=C(CH3)2 Postion isomer = But-2-ene Functional Isomer = Cyclic Alkane so cyclicbutane

4. (The weird reactions and the shapes question?)
    a) Balancing equation I couldn't remember
    b) Cu2(OH)2CO3 + 4HCl -----> 2CuCl2 + 3H2O + CO2
    c) Effervescense
    d) Something like Cu3O8H2C2
    e) Shapes question - SF6 = Octohedral , 90 degrees -SF4 = See-Saw shape. Lone pair on the horizontal plane. Angles 90, 120 or 180 degrees. Probably will accept -2.5 degrees off each angle.

Section B

5. (Period 3 stuff)
    a) - Ionisation energies increase -Increasing proton number - Similar Shielding -Attraction between outer electron and nuclues gets stronger -The bigger nuclear charge reduces atomic radius (I don't think this point is needed)
    b) -Silicon has highest melting point. -Because of macromolecular/Giant covelant structure. -Strong covelant bonds throughout structure. -Requires high amounts of energy to break.
    c) The elements that you could say were Aluminuim because removing electron form 3p shell and Sulfur because of pair repulsion.
    d) -Element Y is Sulphur. -Large jump in eneries from 6th to 7th ionisation enegies -So 7th electron in inner shell so sulphur must be the element Y.

6. (Calculations)
    a) 0.113m3 (3 sig figs needed)
    b) 1065 Kg or 1.065x106 g
    c) Percentage yield = 49.3%
    d) Method 1 because its 100% atom economy. Only producing one product.
    Hi

Firstly thank you. Secondly how did you remember all of this lol? I ahve got 95% same asnwers as you so I hope we both do well. Just a couple of questions to everyone as things are now getting disputed.

1B) Has to be magnetic field guys.... saw one guy mentioning 2010 paper
    1E) Tricky question tbh I mentioned how more 2+ ions are are formed thats the difference and for similiarites it will be similair m/z values as +1 ions are still the majority. I didn't word this very well do you think I will get any marks?

2C)I said a water i know this is wrong but still someone break my small hope lol

3B) Most likely need the smaller numbers I would say 10% chance of getting it with bigger numbers
    3G)Drawing isomers was fine apart form the the chain one but I got der in the end how did people find this question?

4B)Multiples allowed? also i remember a question about nacl being a prdocut and it balanced and everythng
    4C)Said bublles lol cant be right?
    4D) that seems really wrong....or maybe im confusing it with the empircial formula quesstion ratio was 1:1:4 i think and empirical forumla would be simplest formula with ratios right?
    4E) Seems right i wrote 90 degrees and 180 degrees from 90 and 120 how can 180 be right i dont understand can someone plz show me?

Question 5 was good was worried about writing silicon or aluminum as one is boiling point and one is melting point lol but glad I went for silicon after last years question 1. The inoinsation had me stumped for 5 minutes lol

6)Got the same for all calculations however i got 1065g not KG how many marks do you think I will lose? Percentage yield was 49.3% but some pople got 43 and 26... finally last question I went for second ine purely because it has less steps but most likely wrong...

HAVE 30 TABS OPENED so lag and spelling mistakes will continue editing later s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EnterNamehereplz)
    Hi

Firstly thank you. Secondly how did you remember all of this lol? I ahve got 95% same asnwers as you so I hope we both do well. Just a couple of questions to everyone as things are now getting disputed.

1B) Has to be magnetic field guys.... saw one guy mentioning 2010 paper
    1E) Tricky question tbh I mentioned how more 2+ ions are are formed thats the difference and for similiarites it will be similair m/z values as +1 ions are still the majority. I didn't word this very well do you think I will get any marks?

2C)I said a water i know this is wrong but still someone break my small hope lol

3B) Most likely need the smaller numbers I would say 10% chance of getting it with bigger numbers
    3G)Drawing isomers was fine apart form the the chain one but I got der in the end how did people find this question?

4B)Multiples allowed? also i remember a question about nacl being a prdocut and it balanced and everythng
    4C)Said bublles lol cant be right?
    4D) that seems really wrong....or maybe im confusing it with the empircial formula quesstion ratio was 1:1:4 i think and empirical forumla would be simplest formula with ratios right?
    4E) Seems right i wrote 90 degrees and 180 degrees from 90 and 120 how can 180 be right i dont understand can someone plz show me?

Question 5 was good was worried about writing silicon or aluminum as one is boiling point and one is melting point lol but glad I went for silicon after last years question 1

HAVE 30 TABS OPENED so lag and spelling mistakes will continue editing later s
    I dont really know tbh how I remembered it all haha.
    I'll try an answer ur questions:

1e) Yeh should get amrks for that
    2c) no that's wrong
    3b) I hope I get this i put 2,4,4
    4b) multiples allowed yeah
    4d) it's not wong. I double checked it. You find the percentage mass and work it from there
    4e0 You should get amrks for 180 degrees because that's the bond angle for S-F-S which is allowed I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SirRaza97)
    I dont really know tbh how I remembered it all haha.
    I'll try an answer ur questions:

1e) Yeh should get amrks for that
    2c) no that's wrong
    3b) I hope I get this i put 2,4,4
    4b) multiples allowed yeah
    4d) it's not wong. I double checked it. You find the percentage mass and work it from there
    4e0 You should get amrks for 180 degrees because that's the bond angle for S-F-S which is allowed I think.

Can you reference 4e also I hope you do well buddy. How did you remember so many lol you must have done solid ratafication lol. Im talking about 4D the one below what is empirical forumla and then you had to calculate. Just typing this I think ive made a mistake can you remember the thing we had to write empirical formula for...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ahsan_ijaz)
    I don't think it's wrong because the Q asked for vol of phosphorous oxide so you would do 220/ mr of p4o10
    Like I feel just because the unofficial ms says that doesn't mean it's right

Posted from TSR Mobile
    no you'd divide it by P4 Mr because you were given the mass of P4 not the mass of P4O10. You find the moles of P4 then check the mole to mole ratio for the chemical reaction. You can't assume there is 220g of P4O10

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manexopi)
    I'm such an idiot and didn't realise co2 was formed and put h2co3 and water instead (don't ask).Then I wrote the colour of cucl4 as my observation fml.
    this is exactly what I did :'( argh I hope they allow some a2 knowledge :L

ReputationRep:
    Can someone put how many marks next to the questions if they can remember??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChloeAM)
    Can anyone remember how question 6c the percentage yield question was worked out?
    You work out the theretical yield of mass you get which was about 2210.88g and use that against the afctual yeild to get the percentage yield.

1.09x103 / 2210.88 = 0.493

X 100 = 49.3%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mixy246)
    Can someone put how many marks next to the questions if they can remember??
    If anyone remembers I will add them

ReputationRep:
    Yes you are right and i got that too but then you had to change it in the form of Cu CO3 and OH so in urs (which is like mine) Cu3(CO3)2OH and if you count the number of carbons and hydrogens it is the same as your so u might get a mark for the working and u writing that but i think the question had 4/5 marks which is probably for writing it in this form instead
    Im pretty sure its Cu3 (CO3)2 (OH)2 otherwise the compound will have a +1 charge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EnterNamehereplz)
    Can you reference 4e also I hope you do well buddy. How did you remember so many lol you must have done solid ratafication lol. Im talking about 4D the one below what is empirical forumla and then you had to calculate. Just typing this I think ive made a mistake can you remember the thing we had to write empirical formula for...
    Just search it up, Chemguide explained that lone pairs need to be in a spot that casues the least repulsion. The horizontal plane is what it should be.

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-mo...eometry-of-SF4

ReputationRep:
    i got 32. something for the RAM did anyone get the same??????

ReputationRep:
    for the empirical formula i got cu as 1.5, hydrogen as 1 carbon as 1 and oxygen as 4 and i left it like that do i get no marks???

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.