Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A2 OCR Philosophy and Ethics 2016 Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    How much do people generally write?? I only manage about 3 and a half pages per question but I consistently got As and Bs in class with only 2 pages (6 paragraphs) were my teachers just being nice???

I saw someone the other day say they'd written 15 pages and I nearly died

(+ totally left out all the applied theories for this exam too *high pitched internal screaming intensifies*)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OrtoWill)
    How much do people generally write?? I only manage about 3 and a half pages per question but I consistently got As and Bs in class with only 2 pages (6 paragraphs) were my teachers just being nice???

(+ totally left out all the applied theories for this exam too *high pitched internal screaming intensifies*)
    So you left out sexual ethics and business/environmental

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OrtoWill)

yh I think quality over quantity is key. 3 and a half makes sense for 45mins. I write a little less but maybe my hand wring is tiny.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by De Re Publica)
    So you left out sexual ethics and business/environmental
    I have- teacher never bothered teaching us environ and business, and since they came up last year...

- just saw your previous question, they can come up on the same paper yeah, and neither of them have come up for years so it's about time I'd say (& pray)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geek999)
    yh I think quality over quantity is key. 3 and a half makes sense for 45mins. I write a little less but maybe my hand wring is tiny.
    That's a good point! Handwriting would have a lot to do with it, mine is probably about average, perhaps a tad smaller

ReputationRep:
    well im not going to uni. for the meta ethics question i compared meta ethics to free will and determinism and i know i defo failed ill be lucky to get even 10 marks because it makes no sense

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamyes)
    well im not going to uni. for the meta ethics question i compared meta ethics to free will and determinism and i know i defo failed ill be lucky to get even 10 marks because it makes no sense
    If it makes you feel any better I called Aristotle Aquinas

ReputationRep:
    The meta ethics Q was challenging but I was forced to learn it because I didn't learn any of the applied topics. I wasn't sure what kind of an answer they were looking for, but I discussed Hare's prescriptivism and argued that he might think his metaethical theory is equally as important as his normative preference utilitarianism because they complement each other and have different aims. Then I discussed how Ayer's emotivism argues that normative ethics is meaningless.

I loved the virtue ethics question though I argued that the eudaimonia aspect is more important because it is the end telos of the theory. I got a lot in about Aristotle's city-state as the only political platform in which the virtues can be fully exhibited and eudaimonia reached and all that, so I was pleased 😉

What did everyone else put for the metaethics Q? Still not sure what they were after

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beccamxo)
    loool nope not really

ReputationRep:
    Granted the questions were not near any predictions (I especially was hoping for Free will and Conscience), however, I felt Qs 1&2 were very interesting questions which, if you picked apart the question, were quite enjoyable.

ReputationRep:
    Well that was multiple levels of horrific, at least grade boundaries might be low....

ReputationRep:
    I was really hoping for questions on free will and determinisn and conscience! So annoyed! But it was ok in the end, the questions were quite nice. I answered 2 on Virtue Ethics and 3 on the environment.

ReputationRep:
    Considering how lovely philosophy was (really helped everyone show their potential), I think grade boundaries should be average

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    How did people answer the sexual ethics question??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beccamxo)
    They're basically the same 😂😂

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fibsy)
    The meta ethics Q was challenging but I was forced to learn it because I didn't learn any of the applied topics. I wasn't sure what kind of an answer they were looking for, but I discussed Hare's prescriptivism and argued that he might think his metaethical theory is equally as important as his normative preference utilitarianism because they complement each other and have different aims. Then I discussed how Ayer's emotivism argues that normative ethics is meaningless.

I loved the virtue ethics question though I argued that the eudaimonia aspect is more important because it is the end telos of the theory. I got a lot in about Aristotle's city-state as the only political platform in which the virtues can be fully exhibited and eudaimonia reached and all that, so I was pleased 😉

What did everyone else put for the metaethics Q? Still not sure what they were after

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The metaethical question was so difficult because there are zero comparisons within the book between normative and meta ethics apart from the introduction in the main book. I just split it up into cognitive and non cognitive meta ethical theories and directly compared them with the aims of some normative ethical theories. Disgusting question though.

ReputationRep:
    for the meta ethics question i did meta ethics and compared it to free will and determinism is this completely wrong someone answer me please

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by De Re Publica)
    How did people answer the sexual ethics question??
    Due to my lack of knowledge on Kant i tried supllementing it with order idea Kant would agree with

First para i argued Kant's view that we should treat sex as wrong when treated as a way to achieve sexual satisfaction is wrong as it disallows humans from acting on inevitable human nature. Argued utilitarianism was a view that was more suitable for a realistic approach.

Then i said however, Kant's view could be shown to suggest that by using the categorical imperative we should universalise the view that partners should aim to satisfy each others needs, avoiding this issue and making sex less of a selfish act.

I then contrasted it with Thomas Aquinas views' on how women have no right to sexual pleasure and argued Kant's view of no being bogged down in Religious dogma is useful as Thomas NAgel demonstrates much of natural moral law is based on irrevelant pseudoscience and assumption

Last used kant's 4 innate principles particularly that we love our neigbours alongside a John Stuart Mill wrote to demonstrate Kant would give respect in marriage as we must treat each other with dignity rather than taking advantage of others in relationships.

Obvs wrote people and greater detail but its the general jist, have a feeling my explanation was pretty poor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamyes)
    for the meta ethics question i did meta ethics and compared it to free will and determinism is this completely wrong someone answer me please
    Afraid so, as freewill and determinism is not a normative-based ethical theory. You may however be able to pick up marks from knowledge in the form of meta ethics, or marks for attempting to make a comparison between the two ethical issues, so I wouldn't worry too much!

What other question did you do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HenryBray1998)
    Due to my lack of knowledge on Kant i tried supllementing it with order idea Kant would agree with

First para i argued Kant's view that we should treat sex as wrong when treated as a way to achieve sexual satisfaction is wrong as it disallows humans from acting on inevitable human nature. Argued utilitarianism was a view that was more suitable for a realistic approach.

Then i said however, Kant's view could be shown to suggest that by using the categorical imperative we should universalise the view that partners should aim to satisfy each others needs, avoiding this issue and making sex less of a selfish act.

I then contrasted it with Thomas Aquinas views' on how women have no right to sexual pleasure and argued Kant's view of no being bogged down in Religious dogma is useful as Thomas NAgel demonstrates much of natural moral law is based on irrevelant pseudoscience and assumption

Last used kant's 4 innate principles particularly that we love our neigbours alongside a John Stuart Mill wrote to demonstrate Kant would give respect in marriage as we must treat each other with dignity rather than taking advantage of others in relationships.

Obvs wrote people and greater detail but its the general jist, have a feeling my explanation was pretty poor.
    I see. I firstly explained Kants theory in detail, then compared it to Christian ethics and natural law on the topical issues of homosexuality.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.