• View Poll Results: nonsense term
    YES
    50.36%
    NO
    49.64%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inhuman)
    "nothing you can do will convince me"

You are not some good person because you think you are open and forgiving. You are not open minded because you say hey let everybody be everybody.

Islam is an intolerant ideology and one cannot tolerate intolerance.
    So is Christianity, but you focus on Islam because its foreign

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by string56)
    I'm surprised. I've witnessed very few Muslims who would allude to 'Islamophobia' being a 'Nonsense term'.
    I've witnessed very few anti-Muslims that don't have preconceived biases with regards to Muslims, their beliefs and their intelligence. We have, unfortunately, people who like to 'speak but not listen' on both sides.

I don't think it can be denied that to categorise it as a phobia is absurd. A few years ago, I'm sure I will have stated differently (some troll will probably search for my posts from more than 5 years ago, now). But what the term is commonly used to describe is not some fear, rather it is a disproportionate, unbalanced, uncontrolled and unreasonable hatred for a given thing which leads to acts of hatred, aggression and hostility. In such cases, the victim needs not provide a stimulus, for the act shall be done regardless based on association with the object of hate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sainsburys wraps)
    So is Christianity, but you focus on Islam because its foreign
    No, Christianity has evolved. Islam hasn't.

ReputationRep:
    No, Christianity has evolved. Islam hasn't.
    And you think Islam hasn't evolved because you think that a bunch of terrorists represent the entirety of Islam, or some corrupt governments - which I already proved to you can't be traced back to Islam as the singular cause.

ReputationRep:
    And you think Islam hasn't evolved because you think that a bunch of terrorists represent the entirety of Islam, or some corrupt governments - which I already proved to you can't be traced back to Islam as the singular cause.
    I repeat myself. Who is the close-minded prejudiced bigot now?

I never said I have this view of Islam because of a bunch of terrorists. I have given plenty of evidence on the contrary in this thread. So either you didn't read that, or you have already forgotten it because it doesn't fit your view.

Either way, you are the prejudiced bigot here, not me.

ReputationRep:
    I repeat myself. Who is the close-minded prejudiced bigot now?

I never said I have this view of Islam because of a bunch of terrorists. I have given plenty of evidence on the contrary in this thread. So either you didn't read that, or you have already forgotten it because it doesn't fit your view.

Either way, you are the prejudiced bigot here, not me.
    Okay, if you aren't basing it on terrorists, then what, corrupt governments? I've already explained that the corruption is not derived solely from Islam, did you forget to read that part of my reply when you were busy trying to attack me personally?

And yes you are a bigot because you are discriminating against all Muslims for no good reason.

ReputationRep:
    Okay, if you aren't basing it on terrorists, then what, corrupt governments? I've already explained that the corruption is not derived solely from Islam, did you forget to read that part of my reply when you were busy trying to attack me personally?

And yes you are a bigot because you are discriminating against all Muslims for no good reason.
    No, I am criticizing the ideology. I never said all Muslims blow themselves up...

I am not attacking you personally. I am just pointing out that I have already said all these things and I won't repeat myself because you can't be bothered to actually fully read what I write before replying, or because you have already forgotten. Because it doesn't fit your view of someone criticizing Islam. And that makes you both prejudiced and bigoted. That's just fact.

ReputationRep:
    No, I am criticizing the ideology. I never said all Muslims blow themselves up...

I am not attacking you personally. I am just pointing out that I have already said all these things and I won't repeat myself because you can't be bothered to actually fully read what I write before replying, or because you have already forgotten. Because it doesn't fit your view of someone criticizing Islam. And that makes you both prejudiced and bigoted. That's just fact.
    And do you think spamming hate speech about the ideology is actually helping the situation?

ReputationRep:
    And do you think spamming hate speech about the ideology is actually helping the situation?
    What hate speech?

ReputationRep:
    What hate speech?
    Like when you implied that 1.4 billion Muslims are terrorists/extremists

ReputationRep:
    Like when you implied that 1.4 billion Muslims are terrorists/extremists
    I never did such a thing.

Why are you discriminating against people that criticize Islam?

ReputationRep:
    I never did such a thing.

Why are you discriminating against people that criticize Islam?
    Your memory is failing you

If it is true, then there are nowhere near 1.4 bn Muslims in the world.

ReputationRep:
    Your memory is failing you
    No, but your reading comprehension is either really terrible or you are truly so blinded by your bias that you see things as your mind has already made them up to be.

I said if we go by the "NotATrueMuslim" logic, then there are very few Muslims out there. I even gave an example of those that drink, there are others who say these are not Muslims.

Sorry but you are getting so boring to talk to. You are like a broken record. A record that is set to "he criticizes Islam, he must be a bigot" and the irony is that in holding that view, you become the bigot yourself and discriminate.

Nor do you have the character to admit that you were wrong. You have now kept pulling at straws for the last, what, three, four or five posts...

ReputationRep:
    No, but your reading comprehension is either really terrible or you are truly so blinded by your bias that you see things as your mind has already made them up to be.

I said if we go by the "NotATrueMuslim" logic, then there are very few Muslims out there. I even gave an example of those that drink, there are others who say these are not Muslims.

Sorry but you are getting so boring to talk to. You are like a broken record. A record that is set to "he criticizes Islam, he must be a bigot" and the irony is that in holding that view, you become the bigot yourself and discriminate.

Nor do you have the character to admit that you were wrong. You have now kept pulling at straws for the last, what, three, four or five posts...
    Quit flipflopping its embarrassing, you literally implied that 1.4 billion Muslims are terrorists because you brought up the 'notallmuslims' quote, meaning you are referring to them as if the terrorists aren't Muslims, and then followed up with this pathetic statement.

Why lie? And even if you made a terrible mistake or misspoke, you're still yet to explain what is so glorious about spamming hate speech and constantly discriminating against a religion. Criticising it is fine, but theres a fine line between criticism and inciting hatred which you've crossed so many times. And ignoring all of this, you still think that the Middle East is corrupt solely because of Islam, and you think that two articles about violence in Indonesia makes Indonesia equivalent to Syria. You think you're bored of me? I was bored of you before you even started.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TelAviv)
    How does one discriminate against a religion? It's a collection of ideas; it doesn't actually exist as a thing to discriminate against.

It would be better said that people discriminate against Muslims - they can be discriminated against because they actually exist as people who follow the ideology of Islam.
    Yea, it's not tangible, it's abstract, in its usual definition.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ash92:))
    I've witnessed very few anti-Muslims that don't have preconceived biases with regards to Muslims, their beliefs and their intelligence. We have, unfortunately, people who like to 'speak but not listen' on both sides.
    I can agree on this. I myself have faced hostility, insults and hatred (formerly as a Muslim and still now), by individuals that can be described as 'Islamophobes'. I'm not sure on the future, with the continued presence of the so called 'Islamic state', it's propaganda, sympathizers and the rise of the far right across Europe, Anti-Muslim bigotry or Islamophobia may worryingly increase.

I don't think it can be denied that to categorise it as a phobia is absurd. A few years ago, I'm sure I will have stated differently (some troll will probably search for my posts from more than 5 years ago, now).But what the term is commonly used to describe is not some fear, rather it is a disproportionate, unbalanced, uncontrolled and unreasonable hatred for a given thing which leads to acts of hatred, aggression and hostility. In such cases, the victim needs not provide a stimulus, for the act shall be done regardless based on association with the object of hate.
    Agreed.

(Original post by ash92:))
    I don't think it can be denied that to categorise it as a phobia is absurd. A few years ago, I'm sure I will have stated differently (some troll will probably search for my posts from more than 5 years ago, now).
    That's not a very nice thing to say about some of your friends on here. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The gains kinggg)
    Oxford dictionary: Intense dislike or fear of Islam, esp. as a political force; hostility or prejudice towards Muslims.

For secularists and critics of religion the term erects an effective shield for the ideas of Islam. It unites moderate and extremist forces by their common identity by confusing the religion of Islam with its Muslim practitioners, and by categorizing all criticisms as hate-speech

Christopher Hitchens dubbed it: A word invented by fascists, used by cowards to manipulate morons.

So it is a nonsense term?

Sure is can be considered 'nonsense'. However the term used within an academic sphere usually references to an unqualified criticism on Islam. In essence it is a term used instead of ignorance. For example to say Islam is a violent religon is an unqualified term hence it would render the offender and Islamaphobe as there is a scholarly consensus buy Orenitaliats and Muslims scholars that this is merely hate speech directed towards Islam in an attempt by unsophisticated populists( I.e like many atheists prophet The Hitch!) to crtisitx, however it is unqualified criticism. However maybe some use the term due to them being uncomfortable with their religon and have a lack of knowledge about it hence whenever anyone crtitisces them they are considered Islamaphobes. But this is a minority population. Within the Islamix golden age

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LabidRumi)
    Sure is can be considered 'nonsense'. However the term used within an academic sphere usually references to an unqualified criticism on Islam. In essence it is a term used instead of ignorance. For example to say Islam is a violent religon is an unqualified term hence it would render the offender and Islamaphobe as there is a scholarly consensus buy Orenitaliats and Muslims scholars that this is merely hate speech directed towards Islam in an attempt by unsophisticated populists( I.e like many atheists prophet The Hitch!) to crtisitx, however it is unqualified criticism. However maybe some use the term due to them being uncomfortable with their religon and have a lack of knowledge about it hence whenever anyone crtitisces them they are considered Islamaphobes. But this is a minority population. Within the Islamix golden age
    :badger:

ReputationRep:
    Quit flipflopping its embarrassing, you literally implied that 1.4 billion Muslims are terrorists because you brought up the 'notallmuslims' quote, meaning you are referring to them as if the terrorists aren't Muslims, and then followed up with this pathetic statement.

Why lie? And even if you made a terrible mistake or misspoke, you're still yet to explain what is so glorious about spamming hate speech and constantly discriminating against a religion. Criticising it is fine, but theres a fine line between criticism and inciting hatred which you've crossed so many times. And ignoring all of this, you still think that the Middle East is corrupt solely because of Islam, and you think that two articles about violence in Indonesia makes Indonesia equivalent to Syria. You think you're bored of me? I was bored of you before you even started.
    Ooooooooh so sweet.

I love when people fall back on childishness and projection. I said I was bored, oh no, you better tell me I was the one boring you.

You did it, oh no you did it.

Year 6 are fond memories

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.