The Student Room Group

The EU has spoiled my speakers...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by plstudent
Yeah, blame productive engineers and customers who buy from a trusted brand. Never blame parasitic overpaid bureaucrats

Creative may be trusted in that you know the name, but they've been a budget brand for a long time.
Reply 81
Original post by offhegoes
As opposed to complicated economics 101?

As opposed to complicated econometrics 101.

Econ 101 is easy. Econometrics 101 is hard (relatively), but one doesn't need to know it to have an informed opinion on the referendum.
Reply 82
Original post by Anno007
As opposed to complicated econometrics 101.

Econ 101 is easy. Econometrics 101 is hard (relatively), but one doesn't need to know it to have an informed opinion on the referendum.

Quoting university modules like that's how people actually break down chunks of information?
Reply 83
Quoting university modules like that's how people actually break down chunks of information?

Econometrics is a distinct field in its own right. And it does deal with a lot of information that isn't dealt with in micro or macroeconomic theory.

Also, mainstream economics is largely defined by what is taught in university modules.
Original post by JCampos
Ahahah well....

We all agree It's better to waste energy!

Damn EUROPE! I Can't wait to see UK leaving EU!

- I WANT to pay for a VISA to have some lovely vacations in Sunny Portugal, Spain or Italy.

Even Americans don't need a visa to visit Europe

- I can't have spontaneous trips outside of UK as I will have to wait for the VISA to come!

As above

- If I have a store in UK I have to pay to send products abroad? Damn Do I have to pay to import something from other country? :redface:

Switzerland are not in the EU, yet, they don't seem to have this problem!

"Most goods exported to Switzerland can be zero-rated for UK VAT purposes, as long as documentary evidence of the export is kept. Any extra charges made for freight, shipping, postage or delivery are also zero-rated."

"Swiss VAT should not be charged on goods that are exported from Switzerland into the UK."

- l want to have a year abroad in Erasmus?

"Scholarship amounts can vary according to the level of studies/teaching/research, their duration (3 months to 3 years) and the grantee's nationality (scholarships for non-EU individuals are higher than for EU individuals)."

Wait a second... Damn!

And if you are saying that with BREXIT these regulations will not exist in UK... I believe you are wrong.

Seems like you're the one wrong then :rolleyes:

See answers within quote
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 85
Original post by Anno007
Econometrics is a distinct field in its own right. And it does deal with a lot of information that isn't dealt with in micro or macroeconomic theory.

Also, mainstream economics is largely defined by what is taught in university modules.

Yes, I'm aware that economics and econometrics are cnsidered by some as distinct...

But secondly, really? Source for this? Because I find it hard to believe. Maths would never be broken up into "Solar 4003" and so on.
Reply 86
Original post by candyaljamila
See answers within quote

Yes, definitely! However, America and Switzerland were never in EU right?

UK is in the EU.
So if you think that the UK can just go out without repercussions I think you are a bit naive.

Moreover, BREXIT would cost UK over 11 Billion pounds just in trade!

No, it's not purely speculation.
Reply 87
But secondly, really? Source for this? Because I find it hard to believe. Maths would never be broken up into "Solar 4003" and so on.

Sorry, which part do you mean? Could you quote it?
Reply 88
Original post by JCampos

UK is in the EU.
So if you think that the UK can just go out without repercussions I think you are a bit naive.

Do you think a wife should remain with an abusive husband just because he threatens to beat her up? I would never condone such mentality.
Reply 89
Original post by plstudent
Do you think a wife should remain with an abusive husband just because he threatens to beat her up? I would never condone such mentality.

Ahahaha is it even comparable?

My point of view:

If the house starts to burn, you don't get out running as fast as possible. You go and get some extinguisher.

That being said, if you are not happy how the house is being run just make something to change it. Vote for more capable people as eurodeputies.
Original post by JCampos

UK is in the EU.

Merkel said she would "would force fair deal for Britain under Brexit" :wink:
Reply 91
Original post by JCampos

If the house starts to burn, you don't get out running as fast as possible. You go and get some extinguisher.

The EU is not supposed to be a house. It is more of an arrangement that all countries can do without so your analogy is not fair. Also, Britain is not going out because things are going south for the EU. It is going out because the EU is not good for it, regardless of how the EU is doing. Again not a good analogy.

Original post by JCampos
That being said, if you are not happy how the house is being run just make something to change it. Vote for more capable people as eurodeputies.

That would still account for a small minority of MEPs.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 92
Original post by Anno007
Sorry, which part do you mean? Could you quote it?

Original post by Anno007

I think there was a bit of pleonasm going on when you earlier said "basic econ 101". Of course everyone has their own way of speaking and everyone mispeaks, but it just leapt out at me since it seemed quite incongruent given the manner in which you were speaking. Nonetheless, I was just causing trouble :wink:

But anyway, my point in my most recent post was that I hardly think "Basic Econ 101" is a section of the field. Instead it is more a general phrase referring to how (not) deep into the field the subject matter is.
Original post by JCampos
- I WANT to pay for a VISA to have some lovely vacations in Sunny Portugal, Spain or Italy.

- I can't have spontaneous trips outside of UK as I will have to wait for the VISA to come!

- If I have a store in UK I have to pay to send products abroad? Damn Do I have to pay to import something from other country? :redface:

- l want to have a year abroad in Erasmus?

I don't know if that would be the case but even it it was, If you can afford to go abroad then surely you can afford to pay a bit more for a VISA and surely you can be bothered to wait for it.

You know, to me and other people, it seems really quite disgusting how selfish you are that you're complaining because you can't have spontaneous trips outside the UK. Oh, poor you. Some people can't afford to have holidays in the UK, let alone go abroad whenever they feel like it.
Reply 94
Original post by similarBlank
I don't know if that would be the case but even it it was, If you can afford to go abroad then surely you can afford to pay a bit more for a VISA and surely you can be bothered to wait for it.

You know, to me and other people, it seems really quite disgusting how selfish you are that you're complaining because you can't have spontaneous trips outside the UK. Oh, poor you. Some people can't afford to have holidays in the UK, let alone go abroad whenever they feel like it.

Well... Fair enough.

Would you like if Scotland voted yes to leave UK?
Original post by JCampos
Well... Fair enough.

Would you like if Scotland voted yes to leave UK?

No, but polls indicate that Scottish opinion on independence is, essentially, unchanged since the 2014 referendum, in which it voted to stay in. Every poll but very few indicates Scotland would vote in. Furthermore, it isn't necesarily garenteed that Scotland would even vote in favour to stay in the EU, with one poll earlier this month indicating only 49% voting for that. Without getting atleast over 50% of the vote to leave the EU, which isn't certain, it's highly unlikely that the SNP could use this to get a second Scottish independence referendum.

Of course, I wouldn't be suprised if Scotland got a second vote on independence again eventually anyway. This EU referendum doesn't really change that, except, if they get a good majority in Scotland voting to stay in the EU, it could cause it to happen sooner. But even if that did happen, it doesn't seem like Scotland would vote for independence, judging by how the polls are the same as they were before the first referendum: almost entirely in favour of staying in the UK.
My speakers don't do this. That tells me that either:

1) Gigaworks are applying the directive incorrectly

2) Gigaworks simply didn't make their speakers energy-efficient enough to enable them to be always-on

3) Gigaworks haven't managed a low-power solution to the time it takes for the speakers to turn on

As above.
Reply 97
Original post by similarBlank
No, but polls indicate that Scottish opinion on independence is, essentially, unchanged since the 2014 referendum, in which it voted to stay in. Every poll but very few indicates Scotland would vote in. Furthermore, it isn't necesarily garenteed that Scotland would even vote in favour to stay in the EU, with one poll earlier this month indicating only 49% voting for that. Without getting atleast over 50% of the vote to leave the EU, which isn't certain, it's highly unlikely that the SNP could use this to get a second Scottish independence referendum.

Of course, I wouldn't be suprised if Scotland got a second vote on independence again eventually anyway. This EU referendum doesn't really change that, except, if they get a good majority in Scotland voting to stay in the EU, it could cause it to happen sooner. But even if that did happen, it doesn't seem like Scotland would vote for independence, judging by how the polls are the same as they were before the first referendum: almost entirely in favour of staying in the UK.

These are all speculative scenarios. Any side can win. Let us wait and see.
Reply 98

But anyway, my point in my most recent post was that I hardly think "Basic Econ 101" is a section of the field. Instead it is more a general phrase referring to how (not) deep into the field the subject matter is.

I didn't mean that it was. Sorry if it came across that way. It is a colloquialism, you are right.
Original post by Betelgeuse-
A vote on these decisions .. LOL

No we would not, dont lie

We do already mate... LOL

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending