Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Official AQA New Spec AS Level Computer Science Thread - 6th of June Watch

ReputationRep:
    The programming was easy. The only thing hard was the tracetable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GarlicBread01)
    Unofficial mark scheme anyone?
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=4145531

Here's an unofficial mark scheme but it's not very filled in

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilyjacks)
    the first coding question, where you had to do validation on the Row, so if an invalid number was entered it would display an error message
    Oh yeah, that was easier

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by We-Major)
    I really hope it's not meant to be 5 and 6, because I think I got 4 and 2
    3 and 2

47:
    4*7
    2*8
    1*6

7+7
    1+4

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 83457)
    3 and 2

47:
    4*7
    2*8
    1*6

7+7
    1+4
    I got this answer as well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oedjwoh)
    That exam was absolute aids. I genuinely hope the AQA Team who made that paper get arseh*le pummelled by one of those *****y little torpedos. Trace tables can go finger themselves as well. Anyone who says that exam was easy is either a full blown liar or a full blown meatball who programs for a living (no offence).
    You definitely don't need to be coding for a living to have managed the programming stuff. You wanna see full blown aids? Look up the British Informatics Olympiad, or the International Olympiad in Informatics.

A decent understanding of the syntax of a programming language, and a decent awareness on how to solve problems via programming, was enough to handle the last and penultimate questions if you thought about them logically. AQA are even kind enough to tell you where to start in the programming questions.
    The only thing that probably stopped some people from handling those last questions was the time pressure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 83457)
    You definitely don't need to be coding for a living to have managed the programming stuff. You wanna see full blown aids? Look up the British Informatics Olympiad, or the International Olympiad in Informatics.

A decent understanding of the syntax of a programming language, and a decent awareness on how to solve problems via programming, was enough to handle the last and penultimate questions if you thought about them logically. AQA are even kind enough to tell you where to start in the programming questions.
    The only thing that probably stopped some people from handling those last questions, was the time pressure.
    Agreed. Programming was definitely easy and the tasks were on ALL of the predicted questions resources. The only thing remotely difficult was the trace table and perhaps the mistake that some made by dividing / rather than //

ReputationRep:
    Guys for the validation change, the question only asked to validate that row was entered correctly (they even had it in bold), will you lose marks for also validating column?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GarlicBread01)
    Guys for the validation change, the question only asked to validate that row was entered correctly (they even had it in bold), will you lose marks for also validating column?
    I doubt it.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't do double // for the psceudocode question, I only did / and it worked

ReputationRep:
    I didn't do double // for the psceudocode question, I only did / and it worked
    I think it depends on the syntax for the programming language that you used

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vanguardsean)
    I think it depends on the syntax for the programming language that you used
    Did you do double //? I use Python

ReputationRep:
    Did you do double //? I use Python
    Nope, I used VB.NET, its only / for division

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vanguardsean)
    Nope, I used VB.NET, its only / for division
    There's quite a few different answers going around for it

ReputationRep:
    Apparently, they both do the same thing in python, a // means strictly integer division and / means real number division, here is an example:
    http://imgur.com/dFKkiKQ

ReputationRep:
    I've never used VB.NET, but i'm guessing when you declare a variable you specify its type? In that case, if you declare variables as integers (which I'm guessing you did), then any division that takes place and results in a decimal number, will have the fractional part automatically truncated.

Python is special, you you either have to use // or int()

ReputationRep:
    Would've rather been hit by that tornado tbh...:frown:

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I found adding to/editing the Warships code really freaking hard and I know that I dropped a lot of marks on those questions.

Kind of wish I began learning Python from the Christmas break onwards, rather than 1 week before the exam :/

Should have also used the wiki books resource a lot more, as the questions that came up were pretty much predicted on there..

All hope isn't lost though, hopefully I can ace paper 2 and get a B overall.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ashy99)
    Would've rather been hit by that tornado tbh...:frown:
    Torpedo* xD

ReputationRep:
    I swear the torpedo question wasn't on wiki book...also the checksunk wasn't on there either

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.