Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Themini)
    That's because neither of us want to end up unemployed. There's a reason why psychology, history and philosophy graduates are unemployed/ have very low employment/ wages respectively amongst other graduates from the same university. That's just a harsh reality.. Ask any geography student, I guarantee they lose their jobs to geology students in the same field.

Well this escalated quickly...lol.
    I can't speak for the other subjects you mentioned but you do know that with a Psychology degree, a lot of people that do it don't want to commit to further, postgraduate study (that actually gets you a job in psychology) which is why they end up unemployed.

So please do your research before you embarrass yourself. You can get a job in psychology if you commit to further study. If you don't, then that's your fault.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captivated)
    I can't speak for the other subjects you mentioned but you do know that with a Psychology degree, a lot of people that do it don't want to commit to further, postgraduate study (that actually gets you a job in psychology) which is why they end up unemployed.

So please do your research before you embarrass yourself. You can get a job in psychology if you commit to further study. If you don't, then that's your fault.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    ^^ This guy gets it. That's what I plan on doing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john2054)
    i also have mental health difficulties, and my mode average grade was a third, mainly because the lecturers didn't like me/understand/appreciate me. Good luck. I am actually considering putting a doctorate application for january, at a top london university. Do you think you could do this?
    Why do you keep asking me if I think I can do what you've been doing on your degree? I see it as you're just trying to incite an argument. That's like me bringing out one of my machine design questions and asking you if you can design it using calculations and proper engineering justifications.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ras' Al Ghul)
    Social science vs natural science. It's that simple. Social sciences aren't real sciences.
    Just because it's called a "social" science doesn't mean it's not a science. And a subject doesn't have to be a science for it to be difficult. The reason psychology is so different is because we're studying things that we can't actually see - only things we can observe and we make hypotheses based on that. If we can't see behaviour with a microscope it's obviously nothing like the "natural" sciences. Dumbass.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    A-levels to first year, not too bad. Some challenging bits and some okay bits. There were times during the first few week where I wanted to give up and study A-levels again but I stuck with it and felt fine.

First year to second year... I felt a bit lost at sea, really. Some things were just too difficult for me and I lost a lot of motivation. Gutted as well that one of the units I know I'm going to do terribly is no longer compulsory, starting in in 2 years time. :sad:

ReputationRep:
    Just because it's called a "social" science doesn't mean it's not a science. And a subject doesn't have to be a science for it to be difficult. The reason psychology is so different is because we're studying things that we can't actually see - only things we can observe and we make hypotheses based on that. If we can't see behaviour with a microscope it's obviously nothing like the "natural" sciences. Dumbass.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Wow, all you social science people on this thread really love to throw insults. And you're the ones that spent a large part of your degrees writing essays making arguments? Yet, you can't seem to apply these skills. So let's see:
    1) You're not good at doing what you're supposed to know
    2) You're wrong about not seeing phenomenon making psychology unique. Physics and Chemistry has lots of things you can't see.

ReputationRep:
    uni is easy compared to a levels

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryRedhead)
    You can't deny that STEM is objectively more difficult, though?
    i don't agree with this. not at all

ReputationRep:
    Wow, all you social science people on this thread really love to throw insults. And you're the ones that spent a large part of your degrees writing essays making arguments? Yet, you can't seem to apply these skills. So let's see:
    2) You're wrong about not seeing phenomenon making psychology unique. Physics and Chemistry has lots of things you can't see.
    With regards to number one, I want to see you try to understand complex human behaviour. That's such an incredibly unintelligent thing to say and I feel really bad for you

I didn't specifically say that's the only thing that makes psychology unique. And my point wasn't that it's 'unique' anyway.

I'm trying to explain to you that the reason that ignorant people, such as your uninformed self, believe that psychology is "easy" simply because we can't throw out a bunch of facts. For someone who seems to be acting like an aficionado in statistics and reading psychology textbooks, you'd know that cause and effect shouldn't be applied to behavioural studies anyway. Therefore, psychology isn't as easy as you've been making it out to be on this thread.

Lastly, you shouldn't be pointing out irrelevant things such as my essay skills when clearly you have avoided explaining why you think psychology is easy and not a "real" science.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I don't think i wrote many essays for my degree. I did write a 9000 word dissertation however. Which i got a 68% for. Essays have a standard structure, university humanities. arts something else altogether i'm afraid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inexorably)
    Great this was an interesting thread then it turned into the usual STEM elite cool kids vs humanity/social sciences debate as per ****ing usual......................
    STEM mustardace
    Spoiler:
    Show
    :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    With regards to number one, I want to see you try to understand complex human behaviour. That's such an incredibly unintelligent thing to say and I feel really bad for you

I didn't specifically say that's the only thing that makes psychology unique. And my point wasn't that it's 'unique' anyway.

I'm trying to explain to you that the reason that ignorant people, such as your uninformed self, believe that psychology is "easy" simply because we can't throw out a bunch of facts. For someone who seems to be acting like an aficionado in statistics and reading psychology textbooks, you'd know that cause and effect shouldn't be applied to behavioural studies anyway. Therefore, psychology isn't as easy as you've been making it out to be on this thread.

Lastly, you shouldn't be pointing out irrelevant things such as my essay skills when clearly you have avoided explaining why you think psychology is easy and not a "real" science.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    And I'd LOVE to see you reverse engineer a machine.

I feel like I'd have much better luck understanding behavioural science than you figuring out how to reverse engineer a machine with over 200 parts. Note that reverse engineering doesn't mean reassembling.

ReputationRep:

I feel like I'd have much better luck understanding behavioural science than you figuring out how to reverse engineer a machine with over 200 parts. Note that reverse engineering doesn't mean reassembling.
    Hahaha you seem to be panicking

I clearly said in my last post

"Lastly, you shouldn't be pointing out irrelevant things such as my essay skills when clearly you have avoided explaining why you think psychology is easy and not a "real" science."

P.s. Remember that I am not the one who posted an embarassingly ignorant and unintelligent comment about engineering so I don't really understand why you've mentioned it HAHAHA

ReputationRep:
    I don't think i wrote many essays for my degree. I did write a 9000 word dissertation however. Which i got a 68% for. Essays have a standard structure, university humanities. arts something else altogether i'm afraid.
    And your point is?

ReputationRep:
    Well I've never done a maths degree so I can't say what's harder. Further maths would be the most useful IMO but most places don't have it as a requirement just as a suggestion. The concepts aren't that difficult, unless it's an electrical module, solving the mechanics problems themselves are tricky and it requires very peripheral topics/tricks you may or may not have learnt/forgotten in a level maths.
    okay. i'm scared it's going to be boring and i will want to switch to aeronautical but we'll see

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tanyapotter)
    okay. i'm scared it's going to be boring and i will want to switch to aeronautical but we'll see
    If you're scared of electical then you wouldn't want to go into anything about aero because it has significantly more electical modules than pure mech.

ReputationRep:

I know what reverse engineering means. Just quick laying in to our degrees, something you clearly also know very little about.

ReputationRep:
    I know what reverse engineering means. Just quick laying in to our degrees, something you clearly also know very little about.
    Don't bother with him. He's bringing in his degree even though we didn't even say anything about it. It's because he doesn't know how else to defend or explain himself, having still left unanswered questions

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hahaha you seem to be panicking

I clearly said in my last post

"Lastly, you shouldn't be pointing out irrelevant things such as my essay skills when clearly you have avoided explaining why you think psychology is easy and not a "real" science."

P.s. Remember that I am not the one who posted an embarassingly ignorant and unintelligent comment about engineering so I don't really understand why you've mentioned it HAHAHA
    I never said psychology was easy. I said it was easier than the other sciences, big difference, as in relative difficulty. I think that's a big misunderstanding you have about what I've been saying all along.

It's not a real science because things are described vaguely and exact predictions or predictions with a high degree of certainty cannot be made. Just the fact that it's called "social" science excludes it from being exact because it's not like you guys are using chaos theory to come up with your predictions in your theories, so it's mostly qualitative which is not exact and so not a real science.

ReputationRep:
    So if you've been doing essay based degrees and you don't use the theory you've learnt off to make arguments, what do you do? Write back the same things you've learnt in the paper? You're not helping your case.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.