LSE 2017 Applicants

University Navigation

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnGreek)
    You won't necessarily end up making friends with people from the same course as you, but rather from your halls/societies. That leaves a lot of room for interaction with people doing other courses, even though they may not be as different to yours as they would be in a university with more faculties. For example, you might end up being friends with people doing A&F or Finance rather than English Literature or Medicine.
    But all those doing such degrees are likely to be headed to the same sector, and other such things - whereas I'd love to just have some downtime with other people - like medics or eng lit people - would I be able to make friends with others in the University in London?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gmahapatra)
    But all those doing such degrees are likely to be headed to the same sector, and other such things - whereas I'd love to just have some downtime with other people - like medics or eng lit people - would I be able to make friends with others in the University in London?
    Depends on if you join any University of London societies, and on how good they are (I've heard that the choral society that practises in KCL is quite good, but don't know about the rest). To be honest, there are going to be humanities' students there (doing History, Geography, Govt & Politics, Philosophy, Sociology etc), so it's just a matter of trying to be friends with them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trapz99)
    I decided that it's time for a thread for everyone applying to LSE for entry in 2017. That includes current Year 12 students like me and others who are applying for various reasons.

Feel free to say what course you're applying to and why, as well as your GCSEs, predicted A Level grades, extracurriculars or anything else you want to write about!
    Also, if there is already a thread like this can you tell me, i couldn't find anything so I made this.
    Hey
    I'm applying for Economics at LSE
    I got 6.5 A stars and 5 As for GCSE
    I'm taking Further Maths, Maths, English and Economics for A level.
    What are my chances ( if any) and what can I do to improve them?
    Also does LSE look at contextual data for GCSE?

ReputationRep:
    Depends on if you join any University of London societies, and on how good they are (I've heard that the choral society that practises in KCL is quite good, but don't know about the rest). To be honest, there are going to be humanities' students there (doing History, Geography, Govt & Politics, Philosophy, Sociology etc), so it's just a matter of trying to be friends with them.
    That is an exceptional point, thank you for letting me know! Significantly changed my mind about applying!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngelaisAwesome)
    Hey
    I'm applying for Economics at LSE
    I got 6.5 A stars and 5 As for GCSE
    I'm taking Further Maths, Maths, English and Economics for A level.
    What are my chances ( if any) and what can I do to improve them?
    Also does LSE look at contextual data for GCSE?
    What do you mean by contextual data? I went to the admissions office and they said they do take into account extenuating circ and the like

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean by contextual data? I went to the admissions office and they said they do take into account extenuating circ and the like

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What AS levels have you taken or studied? What A2 subjects are you taking this year?

Have you done the AS exams for all subjects? (I know people have to take the Maths and Further Maths modules, but what about other subjects?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fbiemad)
    What AS levels have you taken or studied? What A2 subjects are you taking this year?

Have you done the AS exams for all subjects? (I know people have to take the Maths and Further Maths modules, but what about other subjects?)
    Hey man,
    I've done AS maths, physics and econ
    I also did my A2 maths last year
    Done all exams
    I'm going to do A2 further maths, physics, economics, and an EPQ related to economics!
    How about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey man,
    I've done AS maths, physics and econ
    I also did my A2 maths last year
    Done all exams
    I'm going to do A2 further maths, physics, economics, and an EPQ related to economics!
    How about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That is good.
    oh, so you did full A-Level Maths in first year and full Further Maths in second year? or have you already done AS Further Maths?

I have done A-Level Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Economics and Persian.

I am a bit confused, so I heard the new AS doesnt count towards A-Level (except Mathematical modules), so have most current students applying done AS Physics and AS Economics exams?

ReputationRep:
    That is good.
    oh, so you did full A-Level Maths in first year and full Further Maths in second year? or have you already done AS Further Maths?

I have done A-Level Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Economics and Persian.

I am a bit confused, so I heard the new AS doesnt count towards A-Level (except Mathematical modules), so have most current students applying done AS Physics and AS Economics exams?
    Very good! How were your grades bro? Are you considering applying to LSE or are you headed there?
    So yeah, we do a level and as maths first year and then a level and as further maths second year and most students have done AS physics and econ, which are now standalone qualifications that don't contribute to A2 at all - so they can stand on them for uni

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Very good! How were your grades bro? Are you considering applying to LSE or are you headed there?
    So yeah, we do a level and as maths first year and then a level and as further maths second year and most students have done AS physics and econ, which are now standalone qualifications that don't contribute to A2 at all - so they can stand on them for uni

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh ok thanks. I had an offer for BSc Economics for this year's course, but I missed the requirement by 1 mark or 0.5%, so they told me to reapply this year. I think I just wasn't meant to go to University this year, very weird things happened to be honest.

Thankfully, my grades were good, it was just 1 module which brought down the average massively in Economics, which makes it fairly easy to improve and even exceed the offer. I think it was a big marking error in that 1 paper but there was nothing I could do (remark did go up slightly, but not enough). We were doing Economics on WJEC, but after this mistake happened, my college changed the exam board for the current A-Level students .

Hopefully it happened for my own good , still aiming for LSE though, it was and is my first choice University.

By the way, do you or anyone know someone who got an offer two years in a row? (for any LSE course) I want to see how often it happens. I only know of 1 or 2 people who did it and they were both successful again. Hopefully same for me.

ReputationRep:
    By the way, do you or anyone know someone who got an offer two years in a row? (for any LSE course) I want to see how often it happens. I only know of 1 or 2 people who did it and they were both successful again. Hopefully same for me.
    Cholesta's son got an offer for Law the second time round after missing it first time due to extenuating circumstances.

ReputationRep:
    Oh ok thanks. I had an offer for BSc Economics for this year's course, but I missed the requirement by 1 mark or 0.5%, so they told me to reapply this year. I think I just wasn't meant to go to University this year, very weird things happened to be honest.

Thankfully, my grades were good, it was just 1 module which brought down the average massively in Economics, which makes it fairly easy to improve and even exceed the offer. I think it was a big marking error in that 1 paper but there was nothing I could do (remark did go up slightly, but not enough). We were doing Economics on WJEC, but after this mistake happened, my college changed the exam board for the current A-Level students .

Hopefully it happened for my own good , still aiming for LSE though, it was and is my first choice University.

I'm really sorry to hear that buddy. But sometimes the universe conspires to certain conclusions it is for a reason and if it were mitigating circumstances that made you miss it, when you reapply you should have a really strong chance of getting in! I'm afraid I personally don't know anyone, but I only know of three people who've ever gotten into LSE anyway hahaha
    What was it that makes you pick LSE as your first though?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying to LSE for BA Social Anthropology and Law, and I had 4A's 4B's at GCSE

I'm applying with an IB diploma though, with 35 predicted though they require 37

I'm also applying to Kent and SOAS for the same course.

How likely do you think they'll take me?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Cholesta's son got an offer for Law the second time round after missing it first time due to extenuating circumstances.
    Yeah, that was one of the people who I knew. Thanks for telling though.

ReputationRep:
    I'm really sorry to hear that buddy. But sometimes the universe conspires to certain conclusions it is for a reason and if it were mitigating circumstances that made you miss it, when you reapply you should have a really strong chance of getting in! I'm afraid I personally don't know anyone, but I only know of three people who've ever gotten into LSE anyway hahaha
    What was it that makes you pick LSE as your first though?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I live in London with my brother and sister studying in Universities in London. So I only applied to London Universities and Cambridge. So my family and I prefer that I stay in London with my brother and sister. (Also efficient in terms of costs)

Also, in 'World rankings' LSE is the best Economics University which is in the UK. I know different websites say different things.

Also, the course in LSE is BSc and the modules are more mathematical. In Cambridge its BA and I heard from a student that its half mathematical and half essay based. This is because Cambridge has compulsary courses on 'Economic History' and 'Political and Sociological Economics' which dont have maths in them. (This is a small reason though)

ReputationRep:
    I feel like unless you're taking Maths Further Maths, Economics and Physics there's no point in applying for econ at LSE

it seems like EVERY offer holder did that set of A levels 😓

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ccyhk)
    I'm applying to LSE for BA Social Anthropology and Law, and I had 4A's 4B's at GCSE

I'm applying with an IB diploma though, with 35 predicted though they require 37

I'm also applying to Kent and SOAS for the same course.

How likely do you think they'll take me?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Depends on the competition of the course, but since you are predicted lower than what they require, you are very likely to get rejected by LSE. Small chance that if the course is not competitive or your PS stand out, they might take you, but I recommend you to apply if you have minimum what they ask for. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don Joiner)
    I feel like unless you're taking Maths Further Maths, Economics and Physics there's no point in applying for econ at LSE

it seems like EVERY offer holder did that set of A levels 😓

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No.
    I will give you a set of offer holder's subjects who I knew of.
    Obviously everyone did Maths for sure.

- Maths, Further Maths, Economics, Physics/Chemistry. (Both popular)
    Some people only did AS Further Maths in that combination.
    A few students had language subject instead of something (dont remember).

- There was 1 guy who didnt even have further maths.

- Many internationals, so dont know about them.

Physics and Chemistry and History are good subjects to have next to Maths, Further Maths and Economics.

ReputationRep:
    No.
    I will give you a set of offer holder's subjects who I knew of.
    Obviously everyone did Maths for sure.

- Maths, Further Maths, Economics, Physics/Chemistry. (Both popular)
    Some people only did AS Further Maths in that combination.
    A few students had language subject instead of something (dont remember).

- There was 1 guy who didnt even have further maths.

- Many internationals, so dont know about them.

Physics and Chemistry and History are good subjects to have next to Maths, Further Maths and Economics.
    So do you think I have a chance even though I'm only doing AS further maths?

I have strong module scores in maths so I'm hoping that will help

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don Joiner)
    So do you think I have a chance even though I'm only doing AS further maths?

I have strong module scores in maths so I'm hoping that will help

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes you have a chance. What subjects and grades do you have?
    (If you dont want to share here, you can PM me and I "might" be able to help you out)

But for this course, grades alone dont do it. LSE doesnt interview students, so the thing they can use the most to differentiate students is the PS, so thats very important. Once again, a very strong PS can make up for slightly lower grades (basing it on very few offer holders I knew of from last year).

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 9, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.